Fully-rigid 1x9 69er query

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Fully-rigid 1x9 69er query

Post by gairym »

Evening,

I've got (as my 2nd/back-up mountain bike) an On-one Inbred which is currently set-up as a single-speed (using an old rear mech as a chain tensioner).

But.....whilst I really enjoyed riding single-speed in the UK i'm now living in the Ardeche mountains and the single-speed is waaaaay too limiting to be of any practical use here and so I've been toying with the idea of a 1x9 set-up.

Whilst discussing the idea with others it's been suggested that I might want to consider converting it to a 69er (hence my comments in the other thread on this subject).

So.....what I suppose I'm asking is:

- Does anyone see any problems with an Inbred 1x9 69er set-up?

- I currently run v-brakes on this bike (sooo easy to set-up/maintain/run) and so I'd need a new fork and so maybe I should consider a change to running a BB7 up front (seeing as I'd be changing the wheel and fork anyway) for touring/bikepacking friendliness - anyone got any advice in this area???

- Does anyone have any experience with a good (non-downhill) chain-guide for the front?

- How about ratios? I was thinking about 11-34 at the back and a 30 up front - any thoughts?

As per usual - any/all help and advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers, Gairy.
Anthony

Re: Fully-rigid 1x9 69er query

Post by Anthony »

For chainguide look at the £15ish Superstar Components version.

For gearing, I find 35 front to 11/34 to be perfect for me. Coming from years of singlespeeding I do tend to attack climbs rather than sit and spin though.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does anyone see any problems with an Inbred 1x9 69er set-up?
No
I currently run v-brakes on this bike (sooo easy to set-up/maintain/run) and so I'd need a new fork and so maybe I should consider a change to running a BB7 up front (seeing as I'd be changing the wheel and fork anyway) for touring/bikepacking friendliness - anyone got any advice in this area???
BB7's are great, even BB5's aren't too bad. At least you'll be able to have matching brake levers if you run with Avid cable discs. I would'nt go bigger than 180mm.
Does anyone have any experience with a good (non-downhill) chain-guide for the front?
I use a 'Pauls' one but they're not cheap. SuperStar wouldn't be a bad option ... I much prefer the frame mounted ones rather than the BB mounted ones.
How about ratios? I was thinking about 11-34 at the back and a 30 up front - any thoughts?
I'd possibly keep things simple with 32 x 11-34. I can see where you're coming from with a 30t front ring but they're not easy to find (I think there's only 2 companies that do them and you nearly always end up grinding some of the crank away to make them fit). Another option might be a 12-36 Deore cassette, they're not exactly light but they last years.

LINKS

Pauls- http://paulcomp.com/chainkeeper.html

Superstar - http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.ph ... uoqv3h0f32

Cassette - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=31059

30T ring -http://www.extralite.com/index_euro.htm
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

If you're going to re-purpose a standard middle ring as a single chainring 1x9 then yes, you'll probably need a chainguide.

However, if you're going to buy a SS-specific chainring with longer/chunkier teeth you'll probably get away with it. I've run a Surly stainless 32T ring on a 1x9 setup in the past without a chainguide without throwing the chain.
gairym

Post by gairym »

thanks guys - lots to think about.

money-wise i'm thinking that i'll convert to 1x9 first and then (once the heat on my recent bike-spending dies down a bit) i'll convert it to a 69er.

should be fun!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Dyffers, is that over aggresive rocky trails or smoother singletrack type riding?

I'd love to get rid of mine, I hate how it looks. But then I hate it even more when you're enjoying a nice technical descent and you have to stop and hook your chain back on.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I find using a short cage mech' can make quite a positive difference.
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

s8tannorm wrote:I find using a short cage mech' can make quite a positive difference.
dumb question but is there any difference with the mechs other than the actual length of the cage???

i ask as it's sometimes difficult to find an 2nd hand short-cage XT mech but i could buy a used XT mech (long-cage) and then a cheap short-caged mech and swap-out the cages - no?

so far i'm thinking (based on what i've learnt here):

- Deore 11-36T cassette
- used XT mech (shortened or otherwise)
- an old shifter
- my 1997 XT crank-arms (for now as they still work great - admittedly with a squeaky-as-hell tapered bottom bracket)
- a Salsa stainless steel 32T chainring
- Superstar chainguide

sound ok to you guys....?
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Anthony wrote:Dyffers, is that over aggresive rocky trails or smoother singletrack type riding?
A couple of laps of Cannock Chase Dog and Monkey trails was as hardcore as I got on 1x9 before I went back to SS.