Highland Trail 2015

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: Highland Trail 2015

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've already alerted Scotways about it. I'll ask my contact if they know if any changes
slarge

Post by slarge »

Would that small detour mentioned above be allowed?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Look familiar?
This was taken from just below the gate last July - Iona was keen to see where she went wrong so we went back to have a look around and do some other trails in the area (curtailed by her man's freewheel exploding...). The turn off from the lower path to hit the gate is actually fairly obvious (but unrideable...) as long as you have your wits about you. If you miss this turning and end up at the stile, the gate is only a short walk up the hill.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

htrider wrote:Look familiar?
This was taken from just below the gate last July - Iona was keen to see where she went wrong so we went back to have a look around and do some other trails in the area (curtailed by her man's freewheel exploding...). The turn off from the lower path to hit the gate is actually fairly obvious (but unrideable...) as long as you have your wits about you. If you miss this turning and end up at the stile, the gate is only a short walk up the hill.
Now I realise how traumatised I am...
For f*** sake, it looks soooo small... :shock:
Last edited by Alpinum on Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Looks like I'll be along for the first day this year - not racing as I can't take the week off sadly - but looking forward to seeing you all off and riding with you for the first day at least. I'll take the bigger camera out and get some photos.

Also, it looks like I'll be your official scratch contact point again this year. I'm sure AlanG will pass on details to those racing:
paul78

Post by paul78 »

I have a friend looking to travel from Israel ... any idea what the conditions are like out on the trail now ... snowy ?
shoestring-racing.blogspot.com
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

It snowed last night, so the route will be difficult and very cold at the moment (you'd need to carry a lot of heavy warm/waterproof clothing). The snow will probably melt quickly though. How soon is your friend coming to Scotland?

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

The webcam at the bottom of this page can be useful for working out the snow level. The route goes past the cafe where it is situated (at about 350m above sea level) just before climbing the Devil's Staircase which is one of the high points of the route at 550m.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Cairngorm Loop could be interesting this W/E
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Currently trying not to think about it....
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

ImageIMG_6440 by NewRetroTom, on Flickr

For the guys doing the Cairngorms Loop this weekend this is what it looked like going over the side of Bynack Mor on Saturday. It has snowed quite a bit since then.

Good luck!
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

GregMay wrote:Currently trying not to think about it....
On the other hand, the times I've ridden it I've had near perfect weather, so something character building would be different.

I may of course retract that comment when I curl up into my soaking wet sleeping bag in the Fords of Avon refuge, unable to continue either forwards or back, sobbing quietly...

I'm debating taking the fat bike if the forecast is bad. It'll be slow but it'll be amusing.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I may of course retract that comment when I curl up into my soaking wet sleeping bag in the Fords of Avon refuge, unable to continue either forwards or back, sobbing quietly
I'll think of you when I'm in my tent in Blair Athol after a few nice drinks in the pub. If I get up and it's crap, I'm going running with my wife :)
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

No need to worry about the snow. Theres plenty of rain on the way. So it will wash It all away! Looking forward to all the mud. Choose your tyres wisely!
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I'm heading up to Aviemore on Thursday night, planning to do the Cairngorms Loop over the weekend (not racing). Looks like it'll be one to remember! Given the rain that's forecast, what are the river crossings likely to be like? And which are the most exciting?
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Can we perhaps continue this in the Cairngorms Loop thread as the river crossings are mentioned in there - talk about going off-topic (I'm part to blame too!!)
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Ah, missed that. Will do
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Raises hand and hangs head in shame......
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

I see that 3 gaps have appeared on the start list.

One of them was Lee Craigie. That's one less seriously fast racer to kick our arses!
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

Of the 53 on the start list only around half have signed up for tracking so I suspect there may be a few more gaps soon. Perhaps the weather this week has put people off!
slarge

Post by slarge »

I'll be signing up when the tracker arrives from Matt after the WRT. Was umming and ahhing but now my knees are ok I am in!
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Good to hear you're riding again Steve!

You don't need to physically have the tracker to sign up - you just need the ESN and shared tracking page URL.

Can't wait to get riding. Did a wee Cairngorms trip last weekend which has really whetted my appetite!
slarge

Post by slarge »

NewRetroTom wrote:Good to hear you're riding again Steve!
Is that so theres someone to take your pic at the end after they have dropped out?

I have a different strategy this year. It involves less speed, eating and aiming to finish......
But who knows as I think finishing involves a lot of grit, determination, fitness,, strength of character, and luck. I have some of those, but not sure if I have them all.
Ilan

Post by Ilan »

Hi,
I am planning riding the hlt 550.
I am from the southest point of israel, eilat.
A desert man.. :-)
I am looking for a poi gpx file of the bothies in
Scottland or/and a poi specially made for tis route
Especially for bothies ,shop, bb etc.
I made some by google earth but you are the locals have the best information .
Thanks allot.
Ilan.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I've registered my SPOT and sorted work out so I am 100% going to be there. Not done anywhere near as much riding as I'd planned leading up to this so I think my strategy will be to enjoy the views and not get too carried away from the start.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Apparently we may not have the Tandem in time. :cry:

I'm considering our options if that is the case. One would be do see how we go on day 1 on our solo bikes, and if progress is slow, do the 440 route instead.