Highland Trail 2015

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: Highland Trail 2015

Post by fatbikephil »

Just seen this on the Trail Scotland forum (very pic heavy so it takes a while to load) - http://www.trailscotland.co.uk/forums/v ... f=5&t=9825

Woods at the end of the Fisherfield singletrack may cause some problems with windblow and bog and I can't see the estate rushing to sort between now and May. Not a show stopper but worth being ready for...
Mart

Post by Mart »

From my travels yesterday
It's all pretty dry in the Nth west at the minute
the winter snows are all but gone, except for a few lingering patches in North facing corries.
toured a bit (car not bike) around via Applecross, Torridon, Gairloch and Poolewe the current good weather meant there is currently a watch out for heather fires
Rain is coming, so need to see what impact this has and for conditions to dampen down

edit: the P&J now reporting heather fires (near Dornoch)
Last edited by Mart on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2924 miles per Gallon
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

It's probably the infamous "Cow Dung Bog" ? It was bad last May going that way... it sounds like the estate just doesn't like anybody going that way !
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I remember years ago (20 +) there used to be all sorts of no cycling signs up around there so I think your right. Mart I've no doubt the NW will be back to its usual boggy self come the end of May!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Walked in to Carnmore a few years ago during a dry spell to go climbing and the boggy bit in the forest was still there. There were one or two bikes parked up further along the track presumably taken in by people doing the remote Munros.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Oh s**t, just paid my fee to Trackleaders. No backing out now....
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I‘ll be driving from Keswick via Carlisle and may have space in the van if anyone‘s sruggling for transport. Probably 10am Keswick, 11ish Carlisle on the Friday. May be doing an airport collect. Get in touch if interested. May be a long wait for a lift back though............
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Tom and I are doing an ITT starting on Friday the 29th. edit: 22nd

Hopefully we'll be done in time for him to get back to school a week on Monday.
Last edited by Richpips on Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Richpips wrote:Tom and I are doing an ITT starting on Friday the 29th.

Hopefully we'll be done in time for him to get back to school a week on Monday.
If I'm back in Tyndrum in time (unlikely!!) I'll wave you off. That's a big step up from the Puffer, good luck! Did I imagine hearing it was being done on a tandem or is he pedalling the full distance himself?
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Doh, meant 22nd. .

We'll be on a tandem, be assured though he'll be peddling and walking the whole way just like everyone else.

How long will it take you people to catch us?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Rich - will you be using a Spot Tracker? I might pop by at some point to cheer you both on. No cake though - that would be external intervention :grin:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Rich - will you be using a Spot Tracker?
Yep, FLV is lending me his. :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Richpips wrote:Doh, meant 22nd. .

We'll be on a tandem, be assured though he'll be peddling and walking the whole way just like everyone else.

How long will it take you people to catch us?
HAB a loaded tandem. Sounds like character building stuff. Keep in mind that the fence close to Loch Long has a gate :wink:
Fingers crossed for your plans. Will you cut off if you realise you can't make it for school or just keep on going?

Just dreamt of the highland trail. It went past where I grew up and later on into a town at the sea that resembled an Indian town. There was a place full of sick animals, but it soon was better again. I rode with what could have been composite or Al Humphrey. I forgot to switch on my gps and pushed up hills to save my legs.
:???:
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

Follow the GPX track near Loch Long and you won't have to scale the fence! There are plenty of other places I can think of that might be tricky with a tandem though. That final rocky carry up into Coire Lair will be interesting.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

AlanG wrote:Follow the GPX track near Loch Long and you won't have to scale the fence!
Shshsh... don't tell everybody...

I followed a nice techy track along a burn in Glen Ling (came past Dave and a swearing Gareth with a pucture) and was so focused on riding, my brain must have been in an off mode concerning navigation. There are a few parallel tracks at one point (check OS maps). If you hold to your right hand side you get to the gate.
But if you pick the obviously most fun one (this is my excuse) you stray off the main track to the left, the gate being out of sight once at the fence. What you then find is a wooden stile. THE stile... It's a monster to go over with a loaded bike.
I have had multiple fractures in my wrist and usually I don't have any issues because if them, but going over the stile I made such weird movements my wrist was full of hurt and I'm convinced my hand nearly dropped of. But then... the cute single track along that short section was just lovely.
touch

Post by touch »

I did a bit of the north loop last weekend. Had some trouble with the gate at the end of the Glen Cassley power station road, where it meets the main road at the north of loch shin.
The main gate was padlocked shut and the side gate is a tight squeeze for a normal bike, nevermind a tandem. Took a few repositioning attempts before I managed to get through.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

The only bit where I had to lift the bike over a gate was just N of Contin last year.

Worse case scenario for gates and steep bits like Coire Lair is take the luggage off and maybe the wheels and shuttle stuff.
Will you cut off if you realise you can't make it for school or just keep on going?
If Tom is having a good time we'll finish. Just over 9 days will still get us back in time for school. Knowing the route now, I'd expect to be done in 8 again, I wasted a lot of riding time last year.

The thing I'm least looking forward to on Tom's behalf, are all the water bars. That rear tyre will need to be rock hard. Even with a thudbuster he may suffer.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

It's massively inspirational what you two are doing Rich and makes me wish for a time machine (father of two late teenagers)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Alpinum wrote:What you then find is a wooden stile. THE stile... It's a monster to go over with a loaded bike.
I looked at it, tried lifting my bike, and then gave up. If you drop down as close to the river as possible, the fence is lower, so I threw my bike over there, hoped it wouldn't bounce into the river, and then used the stile myself.

It was only after Iona's article came out that I realised there was a gate...

The one concern I'd have with a tandem is the gate after the dam before Contin. The gate is too tight for bikes so lifting seems the only option.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Dave I feel fortunate that at least one of my kids love doing crazy stuff on a bike. :)

Does anyone know the exact GR of the gate? How near to Fairburn House is it? Would either of those tracks East along the Orrin be an option to avoid it.?

edit: My GPX track suggests it is at NH452522. The track at NH451522 towards Aultgowrie would bypass it.
Alternatively there's a track at NH446522?

Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Richpips wrote:The only bit where I had to lift the bike over a gate was just N of Contin last year.

Worse case scenario for gates and steep bits like Coire Lair is take the luggage off and maybe the wheels and shuttle stuff.
Will you cut off if you realise you can't make it for school or just keep on going?
If Tom is having a good time we'll finish. Just over 9 days will still get us back in time for school. Knowing the route now, I'd expect to be done in 8 again, I wasted a lot of riding time last year.

The thing I'm least looking forward to on Tom's behalf, are all the water bars. That rear tyre will need to be rock hard. Even with a thudbuster he may suffer.
I'm sure you've done (still doing) your home work, but still some ideas that just popped up:
Tubeless or Latex tubes can take more beating than Butyl. Wide rims help too. Go beyond 25 mm inner width. The bigger the wheel, the lower the pressure. I find I can get away with lower pressures on my 29" compared to my 26". Perhaps 0.1-0.15 bar less.
There are a few fast running tires with sturdy sidewalls. Some here may not like that suggestion, but look for enduro tires. Many enduro racers want fast rolling tires on the rear, but still need sturdy side walls.

A thin diameter seat post may add some more comfort. A dad who shout's BAR! so Tom knows when to unweight the saddle a bit...
Difficult to hop them on a tandem I guess.

Gosh... one day par year of age...
Good on the both of you.

AlasdairMc wrote:
Alpinum wrote:What you then find is a wooden stile. THE stile... It's a monster to go over with a loaded bike.
I looked at it, tried lifting my bike, and then gave up. If you drop down as close to the river as possible, the fence is lower, so I threw my bike over there, hoped it wouldn't bounce into the river, and then used the stile myself.

It was only after Iona's article came out that I realised there was a gate...

I only was able to do so, because I'm seriously stubborn (and stupid in the right moments) :roll:
After the stile I soon got onto a double track and looked back. Some more strong language must have exited my mouth.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I'm sure you've done (still doing) your home work, but still some ideas that just popped up:
Tubeless or Latex tubes can take more beating than Butyl. Wide rims help too. Go beyond 25 mm inner width. The bigger the wheel, the lower the pressure. I find I can get away with lower pressures on my 29" compared to my 26". Perhaps 0.1-0.15 bar less.
There are a few fast running tires with sturdy sidewalls. Some here may not like that suggestion, but look for enduro tires. Many enduro racers want fast rolling tires on the rear, but still need sturdy side walls.

A thin diameter seat post may add some more comfort. A dad who shout's BAR! so Tom knows when to unweight the saddle a bit...
Difficult to hop them on a tandem I guess.

Gosh... one day par year of age...
Good on the both of you.
He'll have a 27.2 suspension seatpost.

The frame is built for 650B+ though we'll be running 29er wheels, as there is currently more tyre choice.

There is 92mm of space for a tyre. So a 2.8" will fit easily. I've never run tubeless before, I will investigate that.

Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Looks like you've got all options at hand.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The gate near Contin is at NH453523. I don't know if you can cut off the main track before it crosses the river NH446522 and thus avoid it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I meant to contact the highland council access officer about the gate on the orrin road after last year but forgot! What pissed me off was the fact that it had barbed wire nailed to the top as well - My krampus forks have a nice big scratch on them as a result...