Highland Trail 2015

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bert

Re: Highland Trail 2015

Post by Bert »

Hi everyone,

New on this forum so a short introduction is in place. I'm Bert, 40 years, from the Netherlands, and will start in the group start of the HT this year.

Since I don't own a Spot tracker, I will be hiring one. The cheapest option is a Spot Gen 2. However, the battery life ( http://findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid= ... &data=1239 ) with the track mode on, seems a bit short. What are the experiences of riders in previous editions with the Gen 2? Does one set of lithium batteries last for 8 days with 15 hours of riding?
Matt

Post by Matt »

Slarge used my SPOT1 and put new batteries in last year before he set off.

And I've used it twice since for 4 days of tracking and they still seem fine on same batteries.

I'm sure others will advise but if you put a new set in and take a spare set and you can't go wrong.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I get about 80-100 hours on my Spot 2 from 3 Lithium Energisers. I started with a fresh set in the device and took one set of spares, but didn't need to use them in the end.
Bert

Post by Bert »

Thanks for the replies.

Guess I'll just take a spare set with me then. I was hoping to avoid this, so I would have one thing less to think about.
FLV

Post by FLV »

My rented spot 2 was heavier on batteries on the HT400. I used up 2 sets of lithiums in 5 days. The second set was flat at the finish.

My gen 3 is less heavy on them.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I took a spare set, but got away with one with a 3rd gen. (<8 days)
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Does anyone know if the shop at Rosehall closed or whether someone took it over?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
FLV

Post by FLV »

Dave Barter wrote:Does anyone know if the shop at Rosehall closed or whether someone took it over?
I dont know which one that is dave, but their phone number could be on here

http://www.spanglefish.com/rosehallcomm ... hearea.asp
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

Even if it is still there it will be closed on Sunday so that won't help you Dave.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Dave Barter wrote:Does anyone know if the shop at Rosehall closed or whether someone took it over?
When I passed it, it was closing down that summer. There used to be a flyer online advertising its wares, but I can't find it anymore. Next shop after then is Kylesku (assuming it has one) or the wonderful shop in Drumbeg.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Think there just the hotel in kylesku (which does fantastic seafood).
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Yes, looks like it's the only show in town - did a search this afternoon and couldn't find anything saying there was a village store or similar in either Kylesku or Kylestrome.

The Drumbeg store has a rather spiffy website - http://www.drumbegstores.co.uk/
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Ian

Post by Ian »

Had some wonderful fresh olives from the Drumbeg stores on last years HTR. I can confirm there isn't much at Kylesku besides than the hotel.
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

The food is very good at the Kylesku Hotel but expensive. The posh hotel at Oykel Bridge does good reasonably priced bar meals and a fantastic breakfast, they really looked after folks last year. The hotel at Rosehall does bar meals too. There is another hotel, the Overscaig, 3km off route, by Loch Shin. There may not be many shops on the northern loop but you don't need to go hungry. Stock up in Contin or bring your credit card!
kbrembo

Post by kbrembo »

If you catch the Drumbeg store (closes at 5pm)...its superb!

Failing that charge on to Lochinver and grab a few pies at th best pie shop in the WORLD :-)
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Anyone know if one of http://www.drumbegstores.co.uk/details- ... pack01.pdf fits in an Alpkit Stemcell, or will I need two?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

All of this talk of food makes me want to ride the race...
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

boxelder wrote:Anyone know if one of http://www.drumbegstores.co.uk/details- ... pack01.pdf fits in an Alpkit Stemcell, or will I need two?
I think a small rucksack may be better to hold that lot. Discussed in another thread recently :-)

If you're buying that lit you'll probably want to ask if you are actually racing though ;-)
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Last year I kind of ignored the various hotels on route thinking I would be too smelly to get served so I'm looking forward to pigging out in them all this year. As well as the pie shop in Lochinver there is a wee caravan parks up on the sea front which does panninis and a variety of fried processed pig product (and a mean haggis roll). I'm gearing my whole race plan round arriving here at lunchtime
slarge

Post by slarge »

I stopped at the panini van last year. Great food and I don't think she minded me having a couple of fried egg rolls. Just what my body was craving.

There is actually quite a few places to stock up, it is important to time it so you get there when places are open.....
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

htrider wrote:too smelly to get served
That didnt happen to me at all last year, but I'm certain I was stinking. Nik Kinloch and I were in the pie shop and an exclusion zone had set itself up around us.

I stopped on the fourth night in Ullapool and got a room (the only available room it would seem) at the first hotel on the way out of Ullapool. Being able to clean my stuff was a luxury, even if it meant washing it in the shower and putting the heating on max to dry it off.
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Bit of a bump - Markus Stitz will be doing a talk at Edinburgh Bikes on March 19th. Free tickets, free wine...

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/blog/me ... ling-hero/

Markus Stitz - Canonmills shop: 7:30pm Thursday 19 March
If you’re more into mountain biking, Markus Stitz’ will be talking about his experience riding the 560 mile mountain bike time trial – The Highland Trail – proof that there’s more to mountain biking than trail centres.
Venue: Canonmills shop: 7:30pm Thursday 19 March.

Did we mention the free wine and snacks we’ll be laying on?
VERY limited seating: book your FREE place now for either of these talks.
Bert

Post by Bert »

Can anyone tell me where exactly the potentially dangerous river crossing in Fisherfield is located? I mean the one where you may back track to the road and go via the coast to Poolewe. Is it at Loch na Sealga?
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Can anyone tell me where exactly the potentially dangerous river crossing in Fisherfield is located? I mean the one where you may back track to the road and go via the coast to Poolewe. Is it at Loch na Sealga?
Yes.
Bert

Post by Bert »

Thanks.