Experience of rigid 69er conversions anyone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Experience of rigid 69er conversions anyone?

Post by Ray Young »

I currently have a 26" hardtail but really want to build a rigid 29er for all round use, the problem is that for the forseable future I won't be able to afford to do so. I could convert my current bike into a rigid 69er for about £220 but would need to sell my suspension fork to pay for it. So my questions are, 1) does anyone have any experience of rigid 69er conversions, what are the pros and cons? 2) should i risk selling my sus fork for an unknown set up as I would not be able to replace it for another one of the same quality 3) the rigid 29er fork I am looking at has the same axle to crown measurement as my current sus fork so no change in bike angles but would the larger diameter wheel adversly affect the handling? My cycling interests are xc riding, bikepacking and general touring. As I am getting on in years I find that speed downhill or through technical stuff is not now so important to me as it once was. Lastly, the bike weight would drop from 26 1/2 lbs to just over 25 lbs and of cousre the fork and wheel I buy could be used for my future 29er project.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Experience of rigid 69er conversions anyone?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ray, Sally H has pretty much what you describe ... I'll see if I can get her to post a picture of her bike.

Anyway, she's running a Scandal frame with carbon rigids and a 29" front wheel. Oddly what you need to fit is a pair of 26" rigid forks when you put the bigger wheel in ... the bigger wheel/tyre still fit okay. You will notice a difference in handling but it should be positive not negative. There's a good chance you won't miss the suspension unless it's very rough/rocky/technical.

There's a massive difference in the ride quality of rigids. I prefer the 'damping' quality of carbon (eXotic, On One, etc) I also like Salsa steel forks. I'd do my best to avoid cheap steel forks, they tend to be too rigid ... On One steel forks are very rigid ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi there, thanks for that. I was about to add something, I said that the bike angles would not change but they would as the greater circumference of the wheel would raise the front end but if I do as you say and fit a 26" fork then this would near enough cancel out. My fork of choice is an On One carbon because like you say a steel fork would be too rigid. My frame is a Corratec X vert s.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Don't rule these out for forks - http://www.carboncycles.co.uk/?s=0&t=2&c=43&p=195&

I've run them on various things over the years and they've been faultless (and very pretty) ;) . Nothing wrong with On One carbons, just that these'll save you a few quid.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi again, not come across these forks before and definatley a good price. Money saved could go towards a better wheel, thanks.
sallyh

Post by sallyh »

Here you go Ray . . .

69er by sallyh1357
gairym

Post by gairym »

i'm hoping you'll excuse my ignorance of all things 29er/69er related but.....could someone list the benefits for me???

i keep seeing and reading about 'em but know nothing about the pros/cons and so any enlightenment would be welcome!

cheers, gairy.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi Sally H. Thanks for the picture, looks lovely, I think I might do it, any thoughts on pros and cons?
sallyh

Post by sallyh »

The only con for me is when I go over something really rocky because of the lack of suspension. It can get a tad uncomfortable. Having no suspension any other time has not been an issue because the larger wheel makes up for it.

I like the bike; it's fun to ride.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Post man's been. Got me a On One 29er front wheel, tyre n tube. Still wating on Carbon Cycles fork ( cheers s8tannorm) and fleegle bar. Will post before n after pics when she's done. Can't wait :D . Also working on a frame bag but it's slow going, no sewing machine you see (glad it's a small frame).
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Post man came 2 days in a row so my bike has gone from this-
2005_0226conversion69er0001 by youngray50, on Flickr
to this-
2005_0226conversion69er0002 by youngray50, on Flickr
Got me an afternoon off tomorrow too, somehow I think I shall be out playing :D . Bike lost 1.6 lbs in weight and once i've sold the fork and wheel I can buy me some decent lightweight bivvy gear. Will be getting back to you all soon looking for recomendations.
gairym

Post by gairym »

nice transformation!

i can't wait to get mine done.

enjoy your ride.....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I have to say, that IMO it does look much better now. Obviously the weight reduction won't do any harm either.
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

I wouldn't imagine much weight saving, if they are FSA SLXC 300 wheels they are superlight, a cart wheel from OnOne is going to be much heavier. And look how much closer that pedal is to the wheel.
bod

Post by bod »

From the pics it looks like the front is lower reducing the trail, be interesting to hear if you notice the steering speeding up or feeling twitchier.
touch

Post by touch »

bod wrote:From the pics it looks like the front is lower reducing the trail, be interesting to hear if you notice the steering speeding up or feeling twitchier.
I think he said the front is actually a little higer than it was before (i think it just looks lower in the pics because the bars are much closer to the wheel now.)

The bigger wheel should make turning slower, but the slightly shorter wheelbase will have the opposite effect. Will be interesting to hear what he thinks of it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Remember that for every 20mm of sag/travel of the suspension fork, the head angle will sharpen by around a degree. Many of the 'potential problems' are no longer there once you factor in the action of the suspension.
bod

Post by bod »

touch wrote:
bod wrote:From the pics it looks like the front is lower reducing the trail, be interesting to hear if you notice the steering speeding up or feeling twitchier.
I think he said the front is actually a little higer than it was before (i think it just looks lower in the pics because the bars are much closer to the wheel now.)

The bigger wheel should make turning slower, but the slightly shorter wheelbase will have the opposite effect. Will be interesting to hear what he thinks of it.
Doh, sorry, I did read that when he posted but forgot about it when I shot my mouth off. I'll still be keeping an eye out for a ride report, I've only ridden a full sus 29er which made it hard to compare.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi all, for various reasons I didn't get out for the ride i had planned but I did manage 3 off road circuits of Hollyrood park , about 3 3/4 miles(technically illegal but the wardens don't seem to bother you as long as you only ride around the outside). The ride height of the bike is about the same, there was 1" sag when sitting on the bike with the sus forks plus the photo's are taken at slightly different angles. Yes the pedals look very close to the wheel and this did worry me when I first put the wheel in, however, I ride with the balls of my feet slightly behind the pedal axle and I didn't have any problems with overlap when turning. As I mentioned before the bike is 1.6 lbs lighter and I do intend getting a better wheel in the future.
Initial impressions are good, I have not noticed any adverse effects to handling but I was mainly concentrating on getting the angle on the fleegle bars right and I might bring the height on them up a touch.
I have been thinking of going the 69er route for a while now and so far I am not dissapointed with the results, I can see myself keeping the bike in this format long term. That is until I can build a fully rigid 29er.
Will do a future update after i've ridden the bike more.
bod

Post by bod »

Cool, sounds like you're happy so far.
In fact, not cool, I'm looking at converting my bike now...
Be very interested to hear your longer term impressions
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Got out to play properly today so here follows my report:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol:

End of report.

No, seriously folks, to say that I am happy with the changes I have made to my bike is the understatement of the year.
Now i'm getting on in years and I tend not to hurl myself down the sides of hills like I used to so high speeds are not an issue to me. The lower weight of the front end was instantly noticeable, easier to lift and place where you wanted it. There are no adverse steering problems and no slow speed tuck which I thought there might be as the frame was not designed for a 29er wheel. In fact you would think this frame was designed for this set up. Steering speed is neither faster nor slower but it does feel more precise. The larger wheel rolls over stuff nicely and the back end just follows. I will of course need to relearn picking better lines and floating the bike more but I did this in the old pre suspension days so am sure I can learn it again.

Special thanks to s8tannorm for the advice he gave me with regards to getting the right length fork (26") otherwise I would have got a 29" one!
gairym

Post by gairym »

glad to hear it!

can't wait to get mine built-up and out on the trails.

order placed and so nothing left but more waiting for postie.....
gairym

Post by gairym »

I've had another visit from La Poste and they brought me my new forks and 29er wheel and so as soon as my tyre arrives I'll get my 1x9 (which I absolutely loved riding) transformed into a 69er (or 6(1x)9er perhaps?) - I can't wait!

will post some photos when it's all done and ready to rock.
gairym

Post by gairym »

So.....the moment you've all (ok, I've) been waiting for.....

My newly (this evening) converted 69er set-up in photographic format.

Before:

After:

and.....as a bonus - here's my homemade chain-device (made by grinding off the teeth of a non-removable big chainring on a 15 year old XT chainset):

I can't wait to get it out there (as soon as the new front brake arrives)!

Enjoy.....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm sure there'll be quite a few who might beg to differ ... but I actually find the asthetics of 69ers very pleasing, can't quite explain why though.