HTR Cairngorm loop link.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

HTR Cairngorm loop link.

Post by Richpips »

I was wondering how close the two routes were to each other. The answer, a mere 16 miles.

Leaving the HTR at Achduchil, joining the Cairngorms loop at Tromie Bridge.

Making a grand total of around 750 miles.

If you want the .gpx give m a shout. X_X
FLV

Re: HTR Cairngorm loop link.

Post by FLV »

Cos the HTR isnt hard enough Rich ?

:grin:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Cos the HTR isnt hard enough Rich ?
I did wonder if I could get round both in under 8 days. :wink:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Well, there's that really fast downhill towards Laggan. From there on it's a mere cruise around Cairn Gorm and the other lumps :lol:

That'd be a nice week...
:shock:

On the other hand, I rode 180 km (pushed some too, across Rannoch Moor) before the '13 HTR. Got me into the right mood. A nice week too. A shame the Cairngorm Loop isn't through Tyndrum.

That brings up the idea to have a crack at some of UK's bike packing routes: A Welsh C2C, Peak District (bugger, it's a loop isn't it?), Lakeland, boarders, HTR+ (that's the Cairngorm loop included :wink: ).
More straightforwards would be a EWE+ (that's EWE plus what you need to do to cycle up to Tyndrum) and then HTR+.
That'd be a tough month...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

For flips sake don't give Alan Goldsmith ideas!
Although you could eliminate the crappy west highland way bit of the current route....
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

htrider wrote:For flips sake don't give Alan Goldsmith ideas!
Although you could eliminate the crappy west highland way bit of the current route....
That's a really good idea. A Blair Atholl start, Cairngorms Loop outer, leave the Loop at Feshiebridge, Laggan to Corrieyairack and then join the HTR. Do the HTR to Fort Augustus, over the Corrieyairack (and thus avoiding the GGW - hooray!), rejoin the Loop at Feshiebridge and ride it to completion.

HTR+ 2016?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If you take a right turn at NN768942, you're on the old military road through to the back of Crubenbeg, then onto the access road to Falls of Truim, "hop" over the A9 and take the track all the way from Etteridge. The track varies in quality from there and you need to be careful at NN721957 as the "obvious" track starts wandering away uphill.

Also, when you meet the A9 again at NN752991, cross it and pick up a wee road that will avoid having to ride along the main road. It actually ducks back under again just before Ruthven Barracks.

If anyone wants a .gpx file, let me know :wink:
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

What's wrong with Tyndrum to Kinlochleven? Probably the longest stretch of rideable off-road on the current route.
tanadog

Post by tanadog »

Hi, I'm going to visiting the UK (from NZ) in August 2015. My wife has kindly let me out of visiting the in-laws in Norfolk which has left me with a week to do some riding in Scotland. I had originally thought I'd do as much as of the HTR 550 route as I could with the time I have, but I like the idea of spending some time in the Cairngorms as I've been up a few Munroes there in the past, so wouldn't do the northen loop on the 550.

My current thinking, based on the discussion above, is to get a train to Fort William and ride east from there, (missing the leg up from Tyndrum) and when get to Laggan branch out for the Cairngorms loop, then rejoin the HTR. I'm looking at riding mid-August and getting done before the August bank holiday weekend (by which time I need to be back on family duty....).

Any thoughts on route, start-finish, parts of the HTR that are worth avoiding if you're in "touring" mode would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Brian.

btw I've done a bunch of the NZ events (KIwi Brevet, GSB etc) and have plenty of experience both riding and pushing bikes.....
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:
What's wrong with Tyndrum to Kinlochleven? Probably the longest stretch of rideable off-road on the current route.
Its on the WHW = hundreds of walkers...

Tanadog - The East highland way will take you from fort bill to laggan but its nowt special. I'd head to aviemore and hit the cairngorms. Plenty of options heading east including the cairngorms loop or you could head east for stonehaven via various of the mounth roads and other ROW's - check out http://www.heritagepaths.org.uk . Also the midges in the west coast in august will be brutal whereas in the cairngorms they will merely be unpleasant!