The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AndreR

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by AndreR »

...and delivered 50 Ways to Cycle the World. Belated Christmas pressie that I'm really looking forward to, helps with the day dreaming!!
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

12 speed is so last year, 9 speed is were it's at for me

Plus an Absolute Black 30t front ring, in the garage, CBA going to photograph that now

And for my Friday evening Winter Event meet up (in 6's) Wynnstay Arms pub attire the all new Bear Bones Tee Shirt
Boab

Post by Boab »

... and delivered some winter gear for the weekend. The Endura Pro SL Waterproof Softshell was not what I was expecting, it's basically just a waterproof jacket. I think I'd rather have the Endura Pro SL 3-Season Jacket, so might send this back. Also not sure about the Endura Pro SL Primaloft Waterproof Gloves, they don't look like they've got much more insulation than my existing Assos ASSOSOIRES Winter Gloves, although they are fully waterproof, and a damn sight cheaper than the Assos ASSOSOIRES Ultraz Winter Gloves which were the other candidate.

I was really impressed by the dhb Aeron Lab Polartec Sleeveless Baselayer I bought earlier in the year, so bought the long sleeved version, hoping not to sending that back.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Polaris Vapour jacket and some long Fixies

Jacket fit is as expected; roomy enough for a layer beneath. I look forward to a test ride.
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Another Polaris Vapour jacket here a medium gives me room for a base layer and a thin fleece underneath .
I will test it this weekend .
ootini

Post by ootini »

Just had my new Wacaco Minipresso NS coffee maker.
So far it seems great! Was on Special offer at Black's

https://www.wacaco.com/products/minipresso-ns

https://www.blacks.co.uk/15995781/37089 ... hine-black
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:36 pm Polaris Vapour jacket and some long Fixies

Jacket fit is as expected; roomy enough for a layer beneath. I look forward to a test ride.
Is Vapour same fit as Enduro? I have vapour already, love it although a fold away hood would be nice, I can't ignore an Enduro at £15 though!
Boab

Post by Boab »

... and delivered some knee length winter weight Sealskinz. Everything that arrived yesterday is going back, I might keep these though.

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

DickieH wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:35 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:36 pm Polaris Vapour jacket and some long Fixies

Is Vapour same fit as Enduro? I have vapour already, love it although a fold away hood would be nice, I can't ignore an Enduro at £15 though!
Yeah, I'd say so. The Enduro is a different shape - more MTB than road - so not as long at the back.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Some of the 'miracle' Wolftooth WT-1 lube to try out, and a couple of spare spokes, to replace a broken one on a rear wheel. :-bd
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:59 pm
DickieH wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:35 pm

Yeah, I'd say so. The Enduro is a different shape - more MTB than road - so not as long at the back.
I have both jackets in size large. I did initially wear the Enduro quite a bit on my gravel bike during cold rides but haven't really used it much since getting the Vapour (which I prefer). I'd agree with Scotroutes that the Enduro has a more MTB cut in relation to the length of the tail but in overall appearance I feel it looks more like a winter roady top. Both good jackets though to be fair.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

BAM badge from Stu (thanks Stu) and a PCV valve...
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Not the postman per se, but found a guy on gumtree in my town selling some Dedacci clip on tri bars for a fiver, so went round to collect.

Thinking they might be nice to go on the hardtail to get a stretched out position for longer path/road sections., then revert to he flat bars for off-road stuff. Maybe good for hanging bags off too... Can't complain at £5 to experiment
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I commissioned a 60's style drag race fairing back in Aug and today it's arrived. It'll look lovely once I've hacked it about and painted it something suitably 60's :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Sprung and unsprung Leafield valve adaptors for the packraft / felxtail pump.

Inessential, mostly for the sh1ts and giggles.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

On The Crofters' Trail, a book of stories from the Highland clearances. It was mentioned in a recent video by Cameron McNeish as the author, David Craig, paesed away recently.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:18 pm On The Crofters' Trail, a book of stories from the Highland clearances. It was mentioned in a recent video by Cameron McNeish as the author, David Craig, paesed away recently.
ahhh, that's the stuff they don't reach you about in history in English schools. Well the didn't in the 80's. Less so, about the Irish clearences were as bad. They divert the issue about the 'pot-a-toe' famine instead, citing mono-culture, & the spud blight, Ignoringthe fact it was virtually the only thing that knew would grow, after the good land was turned to only sheep farming*..... but what do I know?
[edit] * The land Lords using the land for sheep farming evicting the Irish tenants.... (update for the I'll informed)...
Last edited by ledburner on Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Any pics stu?
How is the bike going?
Insanity over vanity
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any pics stu?
How is the bike going?
I'll get you some. It's a long process as I'm having to make everything from scratch but it's coming on okay. Hopefully, I'll be leaving the cardboard, plywood and tape stage very soon
May the bridges you burn light your way
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

, that's the stuff they don't reach you about in history in English schools. Well the didn't in the 80's. Less so, about the Irish clearences were as bad. They divert the issue about the 'pot-a-toe' famine instead, citing mono-culture, & the spud blight, Ignoringthe fact it was virtually the only thing that knew would grow, after the good land was turned to only sheep farming*..... but what do I know?
[edit] * The land Lords using the land for sheep farming evicting the Irish tenants...
There's an interesting In Our time programme discussing the clearances - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09tc4tm
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

...yesterday to drop off Acepack Harness from FLV. One more bit of equipment sorted.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Had a Topeak D2X smart gauge arrive. It's flimsy crap, I assume aimed at the weight weenie roadie crowd (who wouldn't be carrying it in the first place).

I've ordered another D2, which was at least robust enough to kick around the garage without fear of it breaking (I lost my first one down a drain).
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

A pair of Velochampion leg warmers. No idea on quality or whether I'll like them but not expensive so worth a try. I've been following the trousers thread with interest but haven't decided which way to go. Thought the leg warmers offer versatility.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

A new alpkit gamma headtorch, to replace the one which mysteriously died - after a decade of faultless service.

I'm guessing that the faulty one will be the subject of dissection, tonight ;)

Some axle bearing presses, so that I won't have to resort to an 18mm and a hammer, next time
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Rapideye wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:06 pm A pair of Velochampion leg warmers. No idea on quality or whether I'll like them but not expensive so worth a try. I've been following the trousers thread with interest but haven't decided which way to go. Thought the leg warmers offer versatility.
like this? :grin:

or this?
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..