The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by whitestone »

Shewie wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:33 pm Anyone ever attempted to gift wrap a bike? Any tips? :grin:

I wish I'd kept the box now
When I got Cath a bike one Christmas I hid it in the shed - fortunately she didn't venture in there for the few days before Xmas :lol: She was a bit confused when she got a pair of SPD shoes - "These won't work with my (Look) pedals", cue rolling in the bike from the shed :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
psling

Post by psling »

Shewie wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:33 pm Anyone ever attempted to gift wrap a bike? Any tips? :grin:

As Bob says, don't wrap the whole thing, just a part e.g the saddle or the wheels and then produce the rest when you get that confused look :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

psling wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:58 pm

As Bob says, don't wrap the whole thing, just a part e.g the saddle or the wheels and then produce the rest when you get that confused look :wink:
Or disassemble the whole thing into components and you have a jigsaw with the best end result ever.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
psling

Post by psling »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:05 pm
Or disassemble the whole thing into components and you have a jigsaw with the best end result ever.
:lol: :lol:

Yeah but don't forget to take a picture first to put on the box of bits like all the best jigsaws, and maybe an age range (cue "5-6 years but it only took me 3 days" jokes) :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Hide it until the moment of handover and then just add a bow.

Personally I reckon wrapping it in anything is just a waste of paper. I'd wrap presents in newspaper if a) the wife would let me and b) if I still read them in physical form (and not on the web) :cool:
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Ended up wrapping each tube and the forks, took the pedals off and wrapped those, also took out the seatpost and saddle and wrapped those too, gave up on the wheels though :grin:
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I ordered a Swift Zeitgeist last week, and this week I had a message from Shona at Keep Pedalling that they had a Wizardworks Shazam! in stock that was (ever so slightly) shop soiled. They both arrived today.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

New LED bulb for my sewing machine so I can start a new project :-bd . Before I'd even got it fitted the control pedal went on the fritz. Bollox.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

woodsmith wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:07 pm New LED bulb for my sewing machine so I can start a new project :-bd . Before I'd even got it fitted the control pedal went on the fritz. Bollox.
Ehat you got, thete are eiring diagram on internet to fi generic
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

woodsmith wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:07 pm New LED bulb for my sewing machine so I can start a new project :-bd . Before I'd even got it fitted the control pedal went on the fritz. Bollox.
What you got? there are wiring diagram on internet to fit a generic one
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

ledburner wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:31 pm
It is a generic one that I bought a couple of years ago to replace the 1960's original when that failed. I'm going to try buying a diode to fix the original pedal first. For 4 quid its worth a try.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

And dropped off a pair of 100% Brisker Hydromatic gloves. I hate bulky winter gloves while mountain biking and am not keen on using my pogies while riding technical stuff (not sure why really). I usually wear normal Briskers and find them okay even in pretty low temperatures but they're hopeless if it's wet as well as cold so I thought I'd give these a try. First impressions are that they are a bit more bulky than normal Briskers and the fit is tighter (I sized up one size already from my normal Briskers). Time will tell if they're the solution to my problem or not.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

If it one of the 'carbon pile' ones also replace the caps suppressors. If they fail the motor still runs on its own... last year i refurbished a singer 201k. Sews well just straight stitch. I like older pre 1970's sewers (not the underground sustandard pipes :-bd ) they feed ok and handle heavier /tougher fabrics
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

ledburner wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:17 am
If it one of the 'carbon pile' ones also replace the caps suppressors. If they fail the motor still runs on its own... last year i refurbished a singer 201k. Sews well just straight stitch. I like older pre 1970's sewers (not the underground sustandard pipes :-bd ) they feed ok and handle heavier /tougher fabrics
Yep it's running on and for a 201k.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

woodsmith wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:47 am
I ve got a spare foot pedal do you need one ? £15 posted. Shout if you need it ..
Last edited by ledburner on Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

A DHB Aeron winter cap made with Polartec Alpha Direct from CRC
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dhb ... prod187231
Got mine in medium and fits snug on my 54cm bonce. Looks to be well made but probably a bit warm to wear it out just yet...
Boab

Post by Boab »

L2R24 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:59 pm A DHB Aeron winter cap made with Polartec Alpha Direct from CRC
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dhb ... prod187231
Got mine in medium and fits snug on my 54cm bonce. Looks to be well made but probably a bit warm to wear it out just yet...
Tempted by one of those, but it looks really warm...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

@Boab - I tend to find Polartec Alpha breathes better than most insulated stuff, but we'll see. It'll be up against a old merino peaked winter cap by Giro, which whilst very good at covering the ears and keeping my head warm, used to soak up a lot of sweat. Caught out a few times over the Christmas holidays riding in low winter sun and not wearing a peaked cap to shade my eyes, so thought this might be just the ticket. The Alpha Direct lining does look quite dense though, so am expecting it to be warm!
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

A domestic freeze drying machine :shock:
Not a dehydrator you understand but a fully functional freeze drier.
Primarily it’s for preserving our harvest but I foresee a future of diverse and possibly delicious homemade bikepacking meals :-bd
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

lune ranger wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:09 pm A domestic freeze drying machine :shock:
Not a dehydrator you understand but a fully functional freeze drier.
Primarily it’s for preserving our harvest but I foresee a future of diverse and possibly delicious homemade bikepacking meals :-bd
Nice, I looked at some quite a few years ago, but ££££'s so I dropped the idea
Boab

Post by Boab »

... and delivered a new pair of bibs for next summer. I've fancied trying a pair of the Pactimo Summit Stratos "12-Hour" Bibs for a while, but not being prepared to spend £180 on them, I've had to wait for one of their sales. The discount wasn't quite as much as this time last year, but given I paid a similar (ish) amount for my current dhb Aeron Lab XC Bibs which I'll probably never wear again, I figured I had nothing to loose.

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

A BLTouch auto-levelling kit for my 3D printer

For any printerists out there this is a game changer as I was having to level nearly every print. I also setup Octoprint and can run/manage the printer remotely

For everyone else, as you were, nothing to see here.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
robsmuddygloves

Post by robsmuddygloves »

A pair of nukeproof flat pedals, as recommended by many on here. Not ridden flats for years, hopi g to go out for an early morning spin tomorrow, if I can remember how to thread pedals, probably whilst hungover.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A squat rack.
The home gym is almost complete, just in time for a New Years resolution :lol:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:38 pm A squat rack.
:lol:
???? Icreadcthatxsd Scot rack :YMSIGH: