The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alpinum

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Alpinum »

... well he hasn't been (besides letters) for a while.
But I've been to my favourite bike shop a couple of times, a new wheel, wheels for rebuilds, cycle specific clothing, brakepads and then more brakepads.
Much more fun to go to the shop, have a chat, get the stuff I need or have it ordered and go back when it has arrived for more chinwag. I do appreciate a good shop (that runs well with my pickiness), not that many of them unfortunately.

But... since I can't get OMM stuff from a shop, I'll be ordering a few garments online. Have used the Core Hoodie for a while now and like it so much, I'm getting more of that range.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:32 pm Nice jacket!

I just had delivered a mini tripod and remote shutter button for my phone. My next bivvy trip will hopefully include a chance to test out the night photography capability I've read so much about
cheers, it's light at 409g.with a good hood with stiffened & wired brim. only 2, but very deep pockets, that'll suit a Yorkshireman :grin:. pictures showed 2cpockdts but advertised 3, I thought there might be an internal chest one instead, It's no big issue.
I haven't used /experienced Pertex Quantum before. a tighter weave than pertex 4! as new it seams(?) /seems a little less flexible or fluid. maybe not a bad thing.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
RIP

Post by RIP »

... with a very nice little book. Now, it's come out of the blue from a person in this parish who probably has enough to be otherwise thinking about. The subject fits well with a comment I made about something recently, so that was very thoughtful, thank you.

So, it just reminded me that we do have some nice people (*) in this family, for which we should be grateful considering it's "just an internet forum".

:YMHUG:

(*) yes obviously a few mad uncles and aunts as well
Last edited by RIP on Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
faustus

Post by faustus »

More lateral flow tests arrived this morning :-bd
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

faustus wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:45 am More lateral flow tests arrived this morning :-bd
Exciting times hey :grin:
The good news is that the govt website is now back online so you can order some more....well until you can't if it crashes again :lol:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

They were giving them away as a prize when you got a booster this morning.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Teaman wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:30 pm
faustus wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:45 am More lateral flow tests arrived this morning :-bd
Exciting times hey :grin:
The good news is that the govt website is now back online so you can order some more....well until you can't if it crashes again :lol:
I am wondering whether you can order a box of negatives, and then for work post Christmas, a smaller box of positives. Maybe it's just my twisted mind......
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

slarge wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:34 pm I am wondering whether you can order a box of negatives, and then for work post Christmas, a smaller box of positives. Maybe it's just my twisted mind......
AIUI, most school kids have learnt how to make a positive test using household items :wink:

The postman brought me another pair of Alpkit trousers this morning, this time in the right size, which it turns out is a ladies 10. Have to admit whilst generally Alpkit give pretty good service, and I approve of them using Royal Mail rather than everyone's favourite cheap Greek courier, both the original order and return turnaround (due to their wildly inaccurate size chart) were a bit sluggish. Glad I had the Keela's that I bought in the meantime. Anyway, hopefully these are worth the wait.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

slarge wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:34 pm I am wondering whether you can order a box of negatives, and then for work post Christmas, a smaller box of positives. Maybe it's just my twisted mind......
Just mentioned this to Jane, 2 drops of fruit shoot on the test does the trick for a positive.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:21 pm
Just mentioned this to Jane, 2 drops of fruit shoot on the test does the trick for a positive.
Any particular flavour?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Chocolate stout.*

*May not be true, but does ensure you have a bottle of chocolate stout to hand
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Well, more picked it up than being delivered as it was probably cheaper than sticking it in the post. A new grate and guard for the multi-fuel stove. The previous one was the original and had lasted somewhere around 12 years - the manufacturer supports stoves for ten years after they cease production of a given model and there's no mention of any of the parts on their website, even the local stockist was unsure as to when they last had them. That meant I had to get one fabricated, since the guy only had the original to work off and that was somewhat distorted I was just hoping the new one fitted. Fortunately it does :smile:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

... and brought other peoples Christmas presents, inc' a very special surprise one for Ruby. Thank you V :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:38 pm ... and brought other peoples Christmas presents, inc' a very special surprise one for Ruby. Thank you V :wink:
:wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Four big boxes containing the second installment of winter event goodies.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Boab

Post by Boab »

Should be able to get up those Welsh hills now...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Should be able to get up those Welsh hills now.
Mine is here by Tuesday -what they like in the flesh ?
Boab

Post by Boab »

Lazarus wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:16 am
Should be able to get up those Welsh hills now.
Mine is here by Tuesday -what they like in the flesh ?
Looks pretty nice, if disconcertingly light!
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

A received a very nice surprise from a very nice man today. He knows who he is. Thanks!
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Ridiculous number of things recently but mostly tools and bits for the workshop/garage rather than biking related

Also, my wife's xmas present came through. I ordered her a headtorch, what a husband! It's very dark where we live, particularly compared to where we used to live, so heading out in the evening often means needing some form of light. I have a bit of a torch hobby and have varying devices but she needed something small and simple. I ordered her a Fenix HM50R v2. Technically it could be simpler but I also needed to order something that if she didn't like it I'd actually appreciate it :lol:

I've charged it up, it's very small and looks to be a useful little torch. I'm sure she'll love it and appreciate all the research that went into it :roll:

Lockout, detachable so can be a normal torch, has a clip, rechargeable, white and red modes, pocket friendly. For bikepacking the lowest mode with the white LED is a bit too bright for some camp use (30 lumens) but the red LED makes up for that
slarge

Post by slarge »

benp1 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:07 pm Ridiculous number of things recently but mostly tools and bits for the workshop/garage rather than biking related

Also, my wife's xmas present came through. I ordered her a headtorch, what a husband! It's very dark where we live, particularly compared to where we used to live, so heading out in the evening often means needing some form of light. I have a bit of a torch hobby and have varying devices but she needed something small and simple. I ordered her a Fenix HM50R v2. Technically it could be simpler but I also needed to order something that if she didn't like it I'd actually appreciate it :lol:

I've charged it up, it's very small and looks to be a useful little torch. I'm sure she'll love it and appreciate all the research that went into it :roll:

Lockout, detachable so can be a normal torch, has a clip, rechargeable, white and red modes, pocket friendly. For bikepacking the lowest mode with the white LED is a bit too bright for some camp use (30 lumens) but the red LED makes up for that
I love the thought that goes into some other people's presents. If only my other half actually wanted the Ergon grips I just bought (admittedly they're for me, but she could have 2nd refusal)...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

benp1 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:07 pm Ridiculous number of things recently but mostly tools and bits for the workshop/garage rather than biking related

I have the earlier HM50 (you might even have recommended it to me :???:) and it's a lovely bit of kit. Lives in the car as an emergency HT with one of their USB rechargeable batteries and gets decanted into the sack for hill walking.

The upgrades look good and interesting to see that in 2.5 years since I bought mine the price is still the same :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've had a few other bits turn up today that I forgot about including another torch... Lumintop EDC18 this time. For carrying in my pocket on rotation with a couple of others
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:18 pm The upgrades look good and interesting to see that in 2.5 years since I bought mine the price is still the same :-bd
That's a good sign!
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Not today but postie's been round quite a lot recently, brought me a new set of Scribe 650b wheels that I ordered back in August, got them booted up tubeless with a brand new pair of Senderos I managed to snaffle on ebay for an absolute bargain months ago.

Today he brought me a new set of Shimano cleats, I think I'm preferring the XT pedals to anything else I've tried since picking up riding again in the last few years, the black cleats seem to mangle quickly compared to the Crank Brothers I was using before, also in the box was a Lifeline BB tool which works a treat for removing my rotors, anyone want a Lezyne EXBBT-SOC?

I've bought a few jackets, tops and bits and bobs from Paria lately which have been turning up, nice products and a local company too.

The best one though is I've managed to take delivery of a Trek Marlin mtb for Mrs S for a surprise xmas pressy, that arrived when she was in hospital having an op a few weeks ago, got it unboxed, built and hidden in the loft without her knowing, I just hope the size is right on xmas day :YMPRAY:

I seem to be buying quite a few tools and lubes lately, slowly getting a decent tool kit together now, for some reason I always seem to be short of the right tool when I'm tinkering with my bikes, my 90's Halfords bike toolset doesn't seem to fit very much these days.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Anyone ever attempted to gift wrap a bike? Any tips? :grin:

I wish I'd kept the box now