The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ledburner

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by ledburner »

a pack of magnetic fast charging cable( power & data) in various lengths and different end adaptors, USB, to micro USB, C or lightening connector (apple).
IMG_10042022_144801_(600_x_760_pixel).jpg
IMG_10042022_144801_(600_x_760_pixel).jpg (100.2 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
very useful, save the hunt for the right cable/who borrowed my cable sagas.simplicity & flexibity when on the overnighting. just keep the adpators in each device.. :-bd

I'm feeling guilty, they were bought Amazon prime 'hook in off' 99p for a, week, (7.99 per month) delivered today...
note to self to cancel by next Thursday...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Two monster Hope brake disks for the fat bike. The rear started making horrible noises (shimano ice tec) and when I looked it was waffer thin. The stainless steel had worn completely through on one side and the pads were busy chewing their way through the alloy bit. This may well have contributed to my brake woes reported elsewhere.... It's done seven and a half years and only cost 15 quid so pretty good all in all. The front was about to go the same way so it got replaced too. Decided to max out the front to a 220 as per the Jones as the ICT takes some stopping.....
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

fatbikephil wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:10 pm Two monster Hope brake disks for the fat bike. The rear started making horrible noises (shimano ice tec) and when I looked it was waffer thin. The stainless steel had worn completely through on one side and the pads were busy chewing their way through the alloy bit. This may well have contributed to my brake woes reported elsewhere.... It's done seven and a half years and only cost 15 quid so pretty good all in all. The front was about to go the same way so it got replaced too. Decided to max out the front to a 220 as per the Jones as the ICT takes some stopping.....
I read that Nick Craig had his rotors changed when his pads were changed - I guess it's standard 'Pro' practice.

Mrs Postie left me a Topeak DP dropper mount for the seat pack. I've always just bodged it with tape and a bit of inner tube, but this seems much better. I can get full (100mm) drop, though it's an XL frame and I'm 'long of shank'. Obviously the light on pic 1 is in peril, but I don't use it there when loaded up.

ImageIMG_20220418_183530 by Andrew Williamson, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20220418_183713 by Andrew Williamson, on Flickr
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

boxelder wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:55 pm

Mrs Postie left me a Topeak DP dropper mount for the seat pack. I've always just bodged it with tape and a bit of inner tube, but this seems much better.
That looks a great solution to the seatpack/dropper issue. I too have previously just bodged the seatpost (with a bit of pipe lagging in my case) but I think I'll get one of those. :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have two droppers, one internal and one external. The DP mount works much better with the internal one because the external cable means I can’t get the DP mount high enough and therefore can’t get full drop. Sadly the external one is on my bikepacking bike but it’s still a very useful little thing
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I think I'l be padding the mount with something (probably some foam wrapped in inner tube) as it's a bit lacking in girth and leaves only half of the velcro on the Wildcat harness overlapping. To be fair, it's like that on any normal seatpost, but I fear the nicely machined edge of the mount might slice through the strap on a proper 'mucky mountain trip'.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

boxelder wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:30 pm I think I'l be padding the mount with something (probably some foam wrapped in inner tube) as it's a bit lacking in girth and leaves only half of the velcro on the Wildcat harness overlapping. To be fair, it's like that on any normal seatpost, but I fear the nicely machined edge of the mount might slice through the strap on a proper 'mucky mountain trip'.
I was thinking that looking at the pictures. I've ordered one anyway and think I might cut a section of tube from an old pair of carbon handlebars that I have, I could then bolt that onto the bottle cage mounts on the DP to make a dummy seatpost for my bag to fasten onto. Shouldn't weigh much and won't cost me anything.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

boxelder wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:55 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:10 pm Two monster Hope brake disks for the fat bike. The rear started making horrible noises (shimano ice tec) and when I looked it was waffer thin. The stainless steel had worn completely through on one side and the pads were busy chewing their way through the alloy bit. This may well have contributed to my brake woes reported elsewhere.... It's done seven and a half years and only cost 15 quid so pretty good all in all. The front was about to go the same way so it got replaced too. Decided to max out the front to a 220 as per the Jones as the ICT takes some stopping.....
I read that Nick Craig had his rotors changed when his pads were changed - I guess it's standard 'Pro' practice.
Hmm - guess if you are sponsored by Hope then fair dos but nay need for normal folk. My 'winter' disks are down to within 0.1mm of the wear limit and they will be getting run until they go just below that :grin: Any idea what happens to his old disks?

Funnily enough the shimano disks were on for HT2015 when I burned out two sets of pads to the rivets...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:33 pm :grin: Any idea what happens to his old disks?
they get up cycled for Odd Jobs

Odd Job deadly Bowler hats.. an other nefarious uses :lol: :lol:
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

.... and brought me a Deuter Astro Pro 600 down sleeping bag :-bd and a 2L water bladder
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

godivatrailrider wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:43 pm .... and brought me a Deuter Astro Pro 600 down sleeping bag :-bd and a 2L water bladder
The latter will come in handy when you're safely snuggled in the former, and just can't face getting up, at 2am 😉
benp1

Post by benp1 »

My goodwood festival of speed tickets - woo hoo! :-bd
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

belugabob wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:13 pm
godivatrailrider wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:43 pm .... and brought me a Deuter Astro Pro 600 down sleeping bag :-bd and a 2L water bladder
The latter will come in handy when you're safely snuggled in the former, and just can't face getting up, at 2am 😉
Truth! 2L is a bit hopeful though!
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

A Fidlock 800ml bottle and toolbox to go on my gravel bike. I've been using Fidlock bottles on my mountain bikes for a while now and they're bloody marvelous (if a bit pricey), hopefully these will be just as satisfactory.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

and brought some barrier cream impregnated with honey for my longer rides (read PeakITT). Just an idea I had recently :grin: Not tried yet but I reckon it'll work well at keeping the sores at bay.

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:58 am and brought some barrier cream impregnated with honey for my longer rides (read PeakITT). Just an idea I had recently :grin: Not tried yet but I reckon it'll work well at keeping the sores at bay.

honey bear.. :-bd
redefined_cycles

ledburner wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:49 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:58 am and brought some barrier cream impregnated with honey for my longer rides (read PeakITT). Just an idea I had recently :grin: Not tried yet but I reckon it'll work well at keeping the sores at bay.

honey bear.. :-bd
One for you... one for me. You gonna join me? The full ITT ia much more exciting than the boring NorthPeaks100 Dan.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Isn't the idea of barrier cream that it forms a barrier? Will that not prevent your skin from 'breathing'?
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

An interesting experiment might be just to slather actual 100% honey onto your bits. I suppose that would attract bears though. Maybe even Bears, I don't know.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:52 pm An interesting experiment might be just to slather actual 100% honey onto your bits. I suppose that would attract bears though. Maybe even Bears, I don't know.
Been there... done that. Lived to tell the tale. Was quite nice, but sticky. Lasted a 70 miler mtb ride I think or maybe one of the 200 milers past L.Buzzard... Problem was it became sticky but then it gloops through yer clothes. Knackerdd my saddle AFAIR.
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:11 pm Isn't the idea of barrier cream that it forms a barrier? Will that not prevent your skin from 'breathing'?
Yes Stu.. you are right actually but generally barrier cream does allow a certain amount of breathability. I've used this with patients quite often at various (higher quality) hospitals and appears to be amazing (potential wounds close up rather quickly where pressure sores are beginning to develop).

I'm hoping to slather it on (to create that barrier yes) and help any moisture to not develop :???:

Research in progress... watch this space. Previous control-test being the honey (mixed with some Bum Butter of some sort) and the Muc Off bottom cream during the last BB200 :smile:
Boab

Post by Boab »

Some cranks and a bottom bracket (for sizing) via javatime. Time to get them fitted to check the chainline to see what BB I should actually buy.

Just need a 29" QR rear wheel... I'm getting desperate. Anyone...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

...and dropped off a Spesh Phenom Anza canvas saddle. 2nd hand off Facebook, bought for the Silk Road. Have one on my Arkose and get on well with it, so chuffed to find another in good condition & at a great price. :cool:
...and from ebay, a bargainous Kalf Merino SS jersey and also an Outdoor Research Whirlwind hoodie. The hoodie is particularly ace; very thin, light and stretchy, and wind resistant but breathabable. Great fit too. Already working out well doing double duty for dog walking and on the bike...

Forgive the scales, but thought might as well weigh the new saddle before fitting! A whole 28g lighter than the outgoing saddle, but ti rails seem comfier and has also resolved an annoying sqeak on the Silk Road :wink:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

A boat, a bunch of accoutrements and a freebie T from a lovely curmudgeon in Wales plus a healthy portion of sand from (I suspect) the Gower Peninsula. My OCD kicked in and I even hoovered it (a bit) :oops:

Cheers Stu :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry, I thought I'd washed all the sand out :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way