The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by BigdummySteve »

I also took delivery of a new Hope disk and an internal blind bearing puller set . It’s the type of tool which makes me happy. Insert into bearing, tighten the nut to expand the collet then the slide hammer removes the bearing in a most satisfying way.

I also picked up a 1950’s Aermaster fan, bloody lovely piece of engineering, still working after nearly 70 years! It even has a little oil port which opens and closes with a little click to lubricant the fan bearing. This strangely also makes me happy.

We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Boab

Post by Boab »

... and delivered a new rear light.

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

a new lid - Kask Caipi. Big fan of Kask lids, my third

Also a little Lifeline 3 way hex key, handy for little tweaks when I'm not next to my big toolbox
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Another Pole a Bear tent pole for a shelter I don't yet own! :???:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

A shelter to go with the new pole from Stu. I was all set to splash out on a BA Fly Creek until recently reading some poor reviews about them so I decided on the budget option and went with the bigger 2021 Lanshan 1 from Ali :???: . Purchase was easy and delivery quick and painless (bearing in mind it was coming from China). First impressions are good and weight for the inner, outer, pole and six ti pegs and stuffsack is 1.013 kg. It'll be interesting to compare the Lanshan outer with my SMD Gatewood Cape in use.
Obviously there's the ethical consideration about buying from China (which I have considered) and I have mixed feelings about my decision to go down this route.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

With lots but only a couple of bits vaguely related

Aeropress Go. Makes sense for van camping or when away with the bike in the van, will probably stick with the GSI ultralight java drip for bikepacking

Rokstraps - I have a couple of pairs of these for the motorbike but found a pair that are much longer (up to about 10 ft) with bungee cord hooks on the ends so really useful for strapping the bike (or other stuff) into the van
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

K1100T wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:50 pm ... and delivered a new rear light.

A rear light with a 32 bit ARM micro? Does it mine bitcoin for you as you ride? :wink:
Boab

Post by Boab »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:12 pm
A rear light with a 32 bit ARM micro? Does it mine bitcoin for you as you ride? :wink:
My son was asking if that meant it was more powerful than Apollo 11...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

K1100T wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:27 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:12 pm
My son was asking if that meant it was more powerful than Apollo 11...
t :ugeek: :ugeek: warning... The apollo guide computer (AGC) was 16 bit, very advanced for the time, the first computer on an integrated circuit. performance on par with the first home computer Apple lle, Tandy trs80, Commadore pet etc. there is now more processing power in your TV remote control.
:ugeek:

I m sure the cube light doesn't need to be 32bit, but the 32bit chip will be more high enough speed but critically include all necessary function built in on chip...not available in lesser spec. ARM chips...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

A couple of Wolftooth bits; B-rad base to extend the bottle cage position on the down tube of the new bike, so I can run a half frame bag. Also 2 x bottle shift mounts to hopefully allow me to use the bosses on the seatstays - though just realised I may still not have enough heel clearance once Ive got a bottle on there :oops:

Still on the lookout for some cages for the triple mounts on the forks. Like the look of the Tai.fin ones, but spendy...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Gone slightly OTT on the food shopping... looking forward to trying them all though!

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Some noseeum bug netting, some lineloks and some Dutch hammock hardware from Hengehammocks.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

A pair of Mont-bell UL mitts. Only windproof and shower-proof and for running really but at 8g, the pair, I could carry them on the bike just in case.

Probably not durable enough to wear often, obviously at 4g per mitt they're made of very light fabric. If only I had smaller hands, the size small and medium are 6g the pair :o
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aluminium which'll allow me to fab up some blower manifolds, drive plate and plenum ... ooh exciting*

*not for you obviously.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

A lot more exciting than some ultralight mitts :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

A pair of cheap as chips WTB Trail Boss tyres in 27.5 x 3.0 Fast-light flavour for an upcoming trip.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Thermorest vesper quilt from Bergzeit and Acepak seat harness and 16l dry bag along with Bottle bag from Bearbones. Very quick delivery from Stuart. It's getting serious now and need a good trip to make the most of them. Time is precious at the moment though.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Landslide wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:49 am A little delivery of bits and bobs from Joe's shop. Whilst I commend his approach to reuse of packaging, there's a bit of me that's disappointed not to have received some Morrison's "The Best" rum & raisin truffles...
You'll be very pleased to know that they were delicious :lol:
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

.. and delivered a pair of £46 mini carbon clip-ons from AliExpress

Quality is actually better than I expected, the pads are a bit ropey though

Just need a bike to put them on now :grin:

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

woodsmith wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:23 pm A pair of cheap as chips WTB Trail Boss tyres in 27.5 x 3.0 Fast-light flavour for an upcoming trip.
As close to SNAP as you can get. Two 27.5 x 3.0 WTB Bridgers from CRC for £12 each. I like the Trail Boss and have them on my OO Fatty in 3.0 but at this price, wanted to try something different and I think they might be marginally better in the Chilterns gloop. Maybe. I'm sure I've made a mistake
I'm just going outside ...
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

TheBrownDog wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:29 pm
woodsmith wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:23 pm A pair of cheap as chips WTB Trail Boss tyres in 27.5 x 3.0 Fast-light flavour for an upcoming trip.
As close to SNAP as you can get. Two 27.5 x 3.0 WTB Bridgers from CRC for £12 each. I like the Trail Boss and have them on my OO Fatty in 3.0 but at this price, wanted to try something different and I think they might be marginally better in the Chilterns gloop. Maybe. I'm sure I've made a mistake
Have a punt on these. I won't be bidding. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164949294815 ... %7Ciid%3A1
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

woodsmith wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:44 pm
Have a punt on these. I won't be bidding. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164949294815 ... %7Ciid%3A1

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope ....... some Ebay blood sucker has picked them off CRC and is hoping for an arbitrage opportunity. Knobs.
I'm just going outside ...
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

A small lube and teeny arse cream from Joe’s shop
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Dean

Post by Dean »

TheBrownDog wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:00 pm
woodsmith wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:44 pm

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope ....... some Ebay blood sucker has picked them off CRC and is hoping for an arbitrage opportunity. Knobs.
This is actually CRC's damaged packaging/missing parts page.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Rather than a small tube like Dave, the postie brought me a big aluminium one. Weirdly and a little sadly, this new project doesn't have a name. I can't believe that I'm unable dream up something for a supercharged, methanol injected CB250*.

*for anyone who doesn't know bikes, the CB250 was Honda's workshorse. Very slow, very dull and generally considered to be crap.
May the bridges you burn light your way