The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

belugabob

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by belugabob »

K1100T wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:24 am ... and delivered a box of bits from Germany. Most importantly, a new bottom bracket and headset.

That's a rather large box, for a quick link, isn't it?
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

A camera to record other people being dicks on the road. Strikes me as a sad milestone, and one I thought I'd not get too, but it seems only a matter of time before I need to use it in anger (semi-literally), particularly with half-arsed attempts at encouraging more cycling by the government and local authority seeming only to succeeding in generating yet more rage at anyone who dares to ride a bicycle in public. Also, it seems some Police forces are taking incidents more seriously - a lady in my club recently reported a close pass with video evidence and our local force are pursuing a prosecution.

One of the many recent incidents that finally cracked me was riding down a 30mph, semi-residential street about half a mile from my house, with a sack of flour on my rear rack, in a raging crosswind, when a white Range Rover with a custom plate (it would be, wouldn't it?) nudged within about 6" of me going passed a pedestrian island. As I had the temerity to scowl silently at him, he saw fit to rev his turbo diesel, accelerate past me at a similar distance, and swerve inwards to cut me up. Charming.

It's one of these: https://chilli-tech.com/content/new-bul ... on-camera/ Went halves on two with another lad in the club, and got a spare battery so £42 delivered all-in.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:15 pm with a custom plate (it would be, wouldn't it?)
There does seem to be a correlation between having a vanity plate and poor driving standards. The worst are people with plates in black with white letters as they have an older number on a new vehicle, although I always thought the colour of the plate depended on the age of the vehicle not the date the number was originally issued? Mind you, as they are usually so bad at driving they shouldn't be on the road then having an illegal plate is the least of the things they should be prosecuted for.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

although I always thought the colour of the plate depended on the age of the vehicle not the date the number was originally issued?
It does. The most recent ruling is that the vehicle must be 40 years old. It used to be a absolute date but now it's rolling.
May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

It always astonishes me just how many cars have custom plates. They're not always very obvious, but when you look for them, they're all over.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:40 pm It always astonishes me just how many cars have custom plates. They're not always very obvious, but when you look for them, they're all over.
I'm thinking of a custom plate for the van.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I should really point out that I don't have anything against them per se.... even had one a few years ago: N888 SKA on a VW Polo that I rattle-canned black and white checks down the bottom of the doors of.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Sheet of 3mm plastic modeling card to add to my bar harness to stop the drybag rubbing on the head tube.
Alpkit hunka XL. Used to have a standard hunka and sold it after getting a terra nova moonlight bivi bag but missed the hunka. Went for the XL so I can put my mat inside with space to put my clothes and shoes inside as well. Really looking forward to using it.
Boab

Post by Boab »

belugabob wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:07 pm That's a rather large box, for a quick link, isn't it?
Yup, two quick links and a whole poor show load of paper...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:41 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:40 pm It always astonishes me just how many cars have custom plates. They're not always very obvious, but when you look for them, they're all over.
I'm thinking of a custom plate for the van.
That's how it starts! I got a T50 plus mine and hers initials plate for my van (which is a T5, 50 was as close as I could get). I now also have a very similar plate on my car as well! What a c*ck! 😁
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Acepac kit from Bear Bones HQ: Bar harness and dry bag plus saddle harness and tapered dry bag. I’m impressed by the build quality and all items certainly seem good value for money. Looking forward to getting out there and putting them to the test in due course. Thanks for the prompt service Stu!
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There was a good one in the South Lakes in the 1980s - FEC 1 T :lol: It was on a car owned by the owner of the quarries at Kirkstone, Tom Fecit (pronounced 'fessit'). I'm told it's still around but I don't know if it's still one of the Fecits.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bob, it's currently on a 2013 Audi A1 and the mot runs out in August.
Gari

Post by Gari »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/c ... OodE1GxZNO

Finally arrived today. Just need to finish ordering the last few bits and get building.
Mason Bokeh.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Jo Burt bar-tape, and a Knog bell from Shona & Rich at Keep Pedalling.

#dingding
IMG_20200711_123806_794.jpg
(246.37 KiB) Downloaded 920 times
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

A compilation of every Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers comic. Judge Dredd volume 1 and Nemesis volume one. Geek night tonight.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Neil Young’s Homegown on cd and MrRobot season 4 on dvd...
Give the dirt a little room.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

metalheart wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:08 pm MrRobot season 4 on dvd...
I enjoyed Mr Robot, a story line to keep you guessing and an excellent, quirky cast. :-bd
FLV

Post by FLV »

Gari wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:26 am https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/c ... OodE1GxZNO

Finally arrived today. Just need to finish ordering the last few bits and get building.
Mason Bokeh.
Is it built yet?
Gari

Post by Gari »

Not yet no, I’m still waiting for some stuff to arrive to finish it off.
Lovely frameset though, the finish/welding is very neat, as you would expect at the price I guess. It’s the little details that I like and the attention to said details, internal dynamo cabling for instance:).
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

New wheels from Hunt.
Just not the ones I ordered.
Not even similar... but they did include a signed pre-despatch check sheet, so hopefully the arse who clearly didn't do their job can get a kicking.

Muppets!

Did make me think, if they can't get this right, what's the chances they will be doing any QA on the less obvious, but safety critical aspects of the build?
Apart from lots of marketing smoke & mirrors and of course the branding trickery, and a little bit of logistic coordination, not even sure what value Hunt add to what is essentially a generic Asian manufactured and assembled product
Expect I will be cancelling my order and going back to JRA; Similar components, but hand built in the UK by a business that understands what Quality is.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:19 pm New wheels from Hunt.
Just not the ones I ordered.
Not even similar... but they did include a signed pre-despatch check sheet, so hopefully the arse who clearly didn't do their job can get a kicking.

Muppets!

Did make me think, if they can't get this right, what's the chances they will be doing any QA on the less obvious, but safety critical aspects of the build?
Apart from lots of marketing smoke & mirrors and of course the branding trickery, and a little bit of logistic coordination, not even sure what value Hunt add to what is essentially a generic Asian manufactured and assembled product
Expect I will be cancelling my order and going back to JRA; Similar components, but hand built in the UK by a business that understands what Quality is.
Hmm, they sent me the wrong axle kit when I went from QR to bolt through on my gravel bike and then tried to blame me for ordering the wrong kit so I wasn't pleased with them either. I have to say the wheels that I got off them previously (that the axle kit was for) have been very good so far though. I was under the impression that they do actually build the wheels themselves though, not sure if that's correct?
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Jurassic wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:33 pm I was under the impression that they do actually build the wheels themselves though, not sure if that's correct?
They told me they are built in Asia; I think it was Taiwan.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:05 pm
Jurassic wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:33 pm I was under the impression that they do actually build the wheels themselves though, not sure if that's correct?
They told me they are built in Asia; I think it was Taiwan.
Hmm, well you live and learn! Mine have taken some hits that made me cringe (including a rock strike that burped and tore the front tyre) but have remained true so far but as I mentioned I've been less impressed with their customer service.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Hunt must build at least some wheels here as I know one of their wheel builders.