The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

L2R24

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by L2R24 »

Alpkit Tarp from the previous PSA :-bd , and 2 x rubber TracerR seals sent out FOC from Exposure after I emailed them day before asking if they sold replacements, as the rubber tabs had started separating from the ring that seals the charging port. Great customer sevice....sometimes it's the little things
paramart

Post by paramart »

bit late rocky road on one bikepacking bike, looks okay and more upright position for me, which is what i wanted.
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Planet X Strix light for £12.99

I wanted a USB charger for my Lumenator which was about a fiver so £13 for the charger, a spare battery and a decent enough light unit for my daughter seemed a no bbrainer. The instructions refer to the light as a BL29 so easy enough to Google where it comes from. Feels better quality than the price would suggest. For those of us who've been riding before the LED revolution they are of course amazing! 😉
Planet X Strix Lights
Planet X Strix Lights
20211122_130759.jpg (72.88 KiB) Viewed 1980 times
https://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/20743 ... Light.html

https://m.gearbest.com/bike-lights/pp_0 ... id=1433363
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Pair of WTB Bridgers for a tenner each from Chain Reaction and a bottle of the excellent Smoove chain lube.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Alpkit tarp and a much bigger bundle of much thicker cordage than I was expecting. Now just got to work out how to pitch it.
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

...and today he's dropped off an Exposure "aero post spacer" with extended silicon band for my TracerR - now fits nicely on the Tailfin rack leg and, at £4.75, was a lot cheaper than the accesory that Tailfin offer...

...also a silicon diffuser for my old mk5 Joystick from the Wiggle BF sale. Figured I'd keep bringing it on rides as a spare light, but now will also now function as a torch with a nice wide spread too. Now thinking should have got the headband, but forgot when placing the order, :roll:

and a thin Nukeproof long sleeve riding hoodie in some 'technical' somesuch fabric (dri-release?) - cheap, nice fit and looks to double as a baselayer, or mid layer depending on season.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Not the postman but popped along to Alpkit in Gateshead to pick up my tarp yesterday morning - lovely morning for a ride out along the river, extended on the way back (bit different to today!). I was in there trying on some trousers last weekend, and asked about the tarp bargain that had sold out on the website while I was waiting to try on the trousers so I could order at the same time. They had a couple on the way so let me buy one in advance at the offer price :-bd

Today is not the day to try out pitching it, my fence already having blown down in the night :shock:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

thenorthwind wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:43 pm Today is not the day to try out pitching it, my fence already having blown down in the night :shock:
you have to apply to the boss change your 'user-name',
like a few others did several months ago. (Mind you, thats probably had enough mayhem for this month.) :roll:
Go on get the tarp out- you could got for the long distance kite leaping record.
Bear-meister, Stu, , change his hame to Mary Poppins! :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
RIP

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:43 pm Today is not the day to try out pitching it, my fence already having blown down in the night :shock:
Nah, go for it. I've survived quite happily(?) under my 9x7 without a bivvy bag but with added shower-curtain in 50mph+ winds and rain.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I just acquired and Aarn Marathton Magic 22 sac. I happy & very fair price for a mint sac. it all appears intact. Getting one with chest pocket is even rarer. The fit is nice not straight jacket- now I am similiar with a the adjustment, 8 straps just for the shoulder straps & hip belt.
it got more straps than a octopus's bondage suit :shock: X_X
(so I hear). 6 strap each side to so adjusts shoulder & hip belt! But so fits so well, not restrictive and doesn't jiggle, originally designed for running & fast mountain sports
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I just acquired and Aarn Marathton Magic 22 sac. I happy & very fair price for a mint sac. it all appears intact. Getting one with chest pocket is even rarer. The fit is nice not straight jacket- now I am similiar with a the adjustment, 8 straps just for the shoulder straps & hip belt.
it got more straps than a octopus's bondage convention :shock: X_X
(so I hear). 6 strap each side to so adjusts shoulder & hip belt! But so fits so well, not restrictive and doesn't jiggle, originally designed for running & fast mountain sports

[edit] Octopi /(alt. octopodes) bondage convention, we don't want Reg to get hot and bothered... :wink:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

ledburner wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:59 pm Bear-meister, Stu, , change his hame to Mary Poppins! :lol:
:lol:
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

...with my outdry jacket.
Overall sizing is spot on.
The sleeves are a tad on the long side, but the velcro cuff adjustments deal with that. Same goes for the hood.
It is a bit plasticky, as some reviews have said, but it's a raincoat, so that doesn't bother me.
It's surprisingly non-bulky ( was thinking it would be a bit more southwester)
A quick "water splash from the tap" test showed excellent beading and shake dry performance - need to ensure my trousers can handle the run-off, now.

Would have preferred a nicer colour than grey, TBH, but it has a pattern to it, that makes it more pleasant than I expected.

Ready for the next soggy dog walk, now
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Just got back from taking some motorbike bits to be painted to find thanks to Stu and Reg's generosity a box containing a Ti Fargo and an array of sticker's on the doorstep !
That means it's surly tea time

Thank you both
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ledburner wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:12 pm A delivery finally a set of Gate arrived for the driveway. 2 3 by 6-ft Gates, and the smaller pathway Gate,, a set of heavy buggers. Hope shifted some flab for Fat Fighters weigh in on Friday :-bd
I took them off in May and arranged for them to be baked in an industrial oven then shot blasted. In the powder coating company were going to do some welding get them galvanised and powder-coated. Somehow with lock Downs, paternity leave it's taken almost 4 months for them to come back they were delivered at 7 this evening and I managed to hang them.
I think that's double-brownie points - as all done before my tea, when it got dark.
following up since end of August...
The replacement 'lost' hinge bar dropped off today :-bd . local iron fabricators made gates originally & re made bar with opposing hinge pins* for a £10 cash.
it only been since s to be told the original fabricator they Couldnt do then, After a bit of procasting, On wednesday, a chat, a sketch popped round to see 'em.... and it'll be done for Saturday..+ weather hiccup. :-bd

opposing Hinge pins so harder to lift off and steal the steel as it were.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Different postmen have brought me two different pairs of bike trousers this morning.

A pair of Keela Roadrunners as recommended by ton which were £50 in a recent colour-related sale ( :roll: ). Really good trousers, and if they were still £50, would probably buy another pair straight away. Material seems hard-wearing yet stretchy, good fit, zipped vents, ankle zips and velcro tabs to cinch them up (I read a review pointing out that the tabs are inside where they can get caught in the chain, but it seems fairly easy to position them twisted slightly where they're out of the way and I don't think they'll move). Only niggles are only one rear pocket (why do they do this? If you're going to have one, why not one on each side? Keela aren't the only ones.) and a rather utilitarian belt, but I'm splitting hairs here.

Then a pair of Alpkit Floes. Went into the shop to try some on, and the guy recommended trying the women's ones as well as he preferred the fit. I tried the size 10s on and agreed. They only seem to keep the regular length in stock so I went home to mull it over and then ordered some. Their size guide says a 10 is a 27" waist and I'm about 31" so I figured I must have mis-remembered the ones I tried on, or picked some with the wrong tag on. Ordered a 14 which is supposed to be 31" and they're massive - they measure about 34" and while they can be cinched down, it leaves masses of loose fabric. So now I have to return them and decide whether to get a 10 which I think I tried on and fitted, or meet in the middle with a 12, or just get a refund. They seem decent trousers, lighter than the Keela's but that might be useful for warmer days (remember them). A bit more expensive than the alternatives, but their ethics and service are good.

Also got some Nukeproof trousers from CRC the other day, just to compare with the Alpkit ones. Quite similar, a bit cheaper, but on balance I should probably keep the Alpkits and send these back. At least they fit though :roll:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'm about a 31" and I wear a 12 in ladies trousers* if it helps :lol:

* Alpkit Parallax waterproof trousers as they were out of stock of men's medium when I wanted some.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Same waist and the small are a snug fit on me waist wise.( Probably would not fit if not wearing lycra as I doubt it gets over baggies but never tried )

Back OT 7 l dry bag from wildcat received
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Cheers both, useful to know.
psling

Post by psling »

My postie dropped off a pair of, would you believe it, Alpkit Floe trousers. And they fit me :-bd

No help to you whatsoever thenorthwind I'm afraid; my 36/37" waist fits snugly into Alpkit's XL size.
I was a little surprised how thin the material is, I was expecting heavier weight fabric for winter use but having said that they are perfectly serviceable and feel good. I like the snug ankles, no flappy material in the chainring/chain area. I guess the female sizing thing possibly gives a bigger cut in the hips relative to the waist? The male sizing does however seem to be comfortable on my snake like hips :cool: (the material has stretch :lol: )
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Yeah, they're not really winter trousers on their own. Had I not gone into the shop first for a look, I would have been surprised by the thinness too. I noticed that they describe them as "overtrousers" and I'm sure wearing them over thermal tights they'll be pretty warm. The Keela ones are a bit more like what I was expecting, but the Alpkit ones do feel good so I'll probably keep them when I get a size that fits.

I think you're right, there's probably a bit more room in the hips, but the women's are a slimmer cut in the legs (I think).
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

...and dropped off a pair of Altra Lone Peak trail runners for future hiking and biking trips. Also a pair of Ergon GC1 corklight grips that were hidden in the bush by the front door for two days before I checked my emails :lol:
Verena

Post by Verena »

... and delivered my Columbia Outdry titamium extreme or whatever it's called jacket. I went for size large. Wouldn't want it ot be any shorter, or narrower round the hips, but lovely and roomy higher up, and loving the very generously long arms.

I'm winter bivvy ready :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

A Helly Hansen Lifa Active ling sleeved base layer. A top with sleeves for running seems to be a better solution to cold arms than arm warmers. If these arms slip down something has gone badly wrong :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Scitt aero helmet from westbrook cycles for £29 and some vegetable tyre sealant