Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Piemonster

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Piemonster »

You should have a PM RIP
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

RIP wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:44 am I have to say I didn't find it a totally satisfying read, but shan't say why - don't want to spoil the pass-it-on game :smile: .
Talking about stuff, particularly good (or provoking or even not quite so good) books is a good thing. What about a Lenders Library Discussion thread with a declaration it contains spoilers?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Oh, and I'm still chaffing that I left the second Secret Barrister book on the plane last time I flew despite not even cracking the spine (red-eye / early morning flight so fell asleep all way through).

Even more galling hardback I was that keen top get a copy I pre-ordered it so it was an even more expensive (utter waste of money) hardback :sad:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:07 am
RIP wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:44 am I have to say I didn't find it a totally satisfying read, but shan't say why - don't want to spoil the pass-it-on game :smile: .
Talking about stuff, particularly good (or provoking or even not quite so good) books is a good thing. What about a Lenders Library Discussion thread with a declaration it contains spoilers?
Fair point CM. I must be feeling shy today :wink: .

Lenders Library thread sounds a good idea!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Piemonster wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:41 am You should have a PM RIP
Posted. Best quarantine it for 48 hours - I don't want to be responsible for reinfecting Scotland :wink: . (Well I won't be anyway, I'm negative on all my weekly tests)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Cheers RIP very much appreciated
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A set of indicators and replacement levers for my motorbike. Wind damage - not slidey road damage, honest!
Verena

Post by Verena »

A set of clip on mud guards...
robbie

Post by robbie »

My Columbia outdry jacket.
Thanks for the recomendations. Glad I asked them to change my order to a medium :-bd
FLV

Post by FLV »

Dave Barter wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:24 pm I too have a copy of 22,000 miles, exciting!
Lazy postie hasn't brought mine yet. It's coming from over th'ill too :roll:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Another Columbia Reign jacket. In Medium, same as my existing one. And it's too big. :roll: And they no longer have Small in stock. :roll: :roll:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

The book about the chap riding around the coast of Britain. Mentioned above somewhere...

and... a lovely plus sized boost wheel all the way from Edinburgh. Even had the bame of a celebrity stamped as the sender :-bd thanks. Have stripped it down to the rim (what I wanted) and can confirm its a lovely weight of only 490g. Thanks again
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

robbie wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:14 pm My Columbia outdry jacket.
Thanks for the recomendations. Glad I asked them to change my order to a medium :-bd
:-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

... and delivered some mudguards and a pair of Madison RoadRace Premio Thermal DWR bib shorts. Wore the bibs on a ride this morning, very comfortable, so comfortable in fact that I'm wondering if I should've sized down...

Then came back again and delivered some tyres, inner tubes and a chain. Plus my repaired Restrap frame bag, didn't realise just how much I'd miss it, glad to have it back...

Going to fit the tyres, then decide if I bought the correct width mudguards or not...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

New seat post for road bike, Windsurfing book listed above somewhere. Looks like an interesting trip.
:roll: Should have read previous page :roll:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A new Presto tap and die set in a metal box an' everything. Lovely.
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Two fat tubes (26” which clearly shows the age of the bike :oops: )
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Assorted gubbins from the Weirdos on bikes. Thanks Joe!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Another copy of 22,000 Miles has landed here. Immediately sat down with a cup of tea and read the first two chapters! Looking forward to reading the rest :-bd
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:34 pm A new Presto tap and die set in a metal box an' everything. Lovely.
A tap and die set is one of the things I always mean to buy, but then end up just borrowing what I need from work. That's not an option at the moment so maybe now is the time. Like a lot of tools there's such a range of prices - and presumably quality. I don't want to waste money on crap, or spend 100s. That one looks like it might be a decent compromise, assuming it's the ~£40ish M3-M12 set? Interested to know what you think of it. Having the bottoming taps is a definite plus.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That one looks like it might be a decent compromise, assuming it's the ~£40ish M3-M12 set? Interested to know what you think of it. Having the bottoming taps is a definite plus.
I've loads of taps / dies Dave but some are getting old and aren't as sharp as they once were and some are in a big drawer and I can't be arsed to sort them out. :wink: Usually I buy them individually as and when I feel something needs replacing but I saw this set and reckoned it was worth a punt. I've threaded some M6 stainless bar this evening to make a gear linkage and the die cut nice and cleanly ... the good thing is that the dies are split. I couldn't tell from the pic / description whether they were or not.

Tap wrench probably isn't the highest quality but it looks like it'll do the job but the actual taps / dies seem the usual Presto quality.
May the bridges you burn light your way
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Pair of 27.5 x 2.8 Nobby Nics off ebay to replace the Chronicles for the winter for the bike and a teach yourself spanish course for me in the hope that me may be able to travel abroad again at some point.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

woodsmith wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:31 pm ... and a teach yourself spanish course for me in the hope that me may be able to travel abroad again at some point.
Have you tried the Duolingo app? IME :-bd Free as well (unless you want to upgrade but I've not found a need). Also, it gamifies the learning process in a pleasant way that I've found beneficial.

I keep waiting for chance to visit mates in Spain and people I work with in Gibraltar all speak English (and strictly speaking dont use true Español).
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:12 pm
That one looks like it might be a decent compromise, assuming it's the ~£40ish M3-M12 set? Interested to know what you think of it. Having the bottoming taps is a definite plus.
I've loads of taps / dies Dave but some are getting old and aren't as sharp as they once were and some are in a big drawer and I can't be arsed to sort them out. :wink: Usually I buy them individually as and when I feel something needs replacing but I saw this set and reckoned it was worth a punt. I've threaded some M6 stainless bar this evening to make a gear linkage and the die cut nice and cleanly ... the good thing is that the dies are split. I couldn't tell from the pic / description whether they were or not.

Tap wrench probably isn't the highest quality but it looks like it'll do the job but the actual taps / dies seem the usual Presto quality.
Cheers Stu. I bought an individual bottoming tap to clean up some blind threaded holes a few weeks ago, but I know I should just take the plunge and buy a set rather than doing that every time. One for the Christmas list maybe :cool:
RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:18 am
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:07 am
Fair point CM. I must be feeling shy today :wink: .

Lenders Library thread sounds a good idea!
Started my next Lockdown Library book - "The Time Travellers Guide To Medieval England". It's excellent - the chap paints a very vivid picture of what life was actually (at his best approximation) like - settlements, people, language, travel, markets, entertainment etc.

Sounds very similar to our doings really:

"You are going to suffer far more.... than in the modern world".

"If you smell like the fetid air of a miasma, people will shun you like the plague".

"An occasional clean shirt and regular delousing by their womenfolk is the extent of their toilet". "In summer, bathing in rivers is common".

"All sorts of things get into the water supply, from overflowing cesspits to dead animals".

"Language is direct and to the point. So if someone slaps you on the back in a hearty way, and exclaims 'your breeches and your very balls be blessed!' do not take it amiss. It is a compliment".

"Devon has its own peculiar weights and measures system so anyone doing business there needs to keep there wits about them".

Luckily there's plenty of ale around, although it's weak and contains no hops so it goes off quickly.

Borderer

Post by Borderer »

"Devon has its own peculiar weights and measures system so anyone doing business there needs to keep their wits about them".

There you go. I fixed it for you. :roll: