The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by RIP »

Landslide wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:25 pm
TheBrownDog wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:08 pm
Landslide wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:50 pm I don't think blackface is really appropriate in this day and age...
I don't think missing the point is really appropriate in this day and age ...
I could say the same :wink:
That pic is apparently of a bloke testing his mate's exhaust using a method not recommended in the manual....

Relieved to hear that 'Legs hasn't been too badly affected by his experience :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Fargoist

Post by Fargoist »

Full frame bag for the Fargo from Alpkit :ugeek:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Fifty years of tawny port (a bottle of 20 and another of 30 year old) from a mate because, well, got my half-century. What a turd that was during lockdown compared to the planned tour of the west coast of Ireland with mates :lol:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Set of Jones Loops in carbon flavour. Have a set of original loops and VO crazy casey bars but haven't got round to fitting then to my solaris yet. The carbon ones took my fancy though and are replacing some Thomson carbon bars that I've used for over five years now

Put them on earlier and wrapped the loops, will give them a little spin later
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Acepac saddle harness from stu it looks very well made.
Also a lifeline tubless repair kit from CRC
Trying to ride bikes.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I don't generally post on this thread as I do tend to have a lot of stuff coming and going :oops:

But (and I will try to get pictures up) some new wheels arrived yesterday and they're the smartest thing I've bought since my custom lugged road frame arrived a couple of weeks ago. Polish silver H Plus Son TB14s, 32 silver Sapim race spokes, a SON Delux wide body front hub and a NOS silver V1 DT Hugi rear that I've had in a box for over 10 years waiting for a build-up that justified it (they would have gone on my Colnago but I went with Campy for the cup n cones).

There's something very nice about classic silver hand-built wheels. Cloth tape on too, none of that tubeless faff : )
Wheels were from Paul at VeloWheels, really good service and a fair price.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Aye, silver wheels look lovely on the right bike.

Skinwall tyres for sir?
Boab

Post by Boab »

... and delivered a replacement chain and cassette.

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Some lightweight Shwalbe G-One allround 27.5 x 2.8 in the Evo flavour.
May satan walk with you
slarge

Post by slarge »

jameso wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:00 am I don't generally post on this thread as I do tend to have a lot of stuff coming and going :oops:

But (and I will try to get pictures up) some new wheels arrived yesterday and they're the smartest thing I've bought since my custom lugged road frame arrived a couple of weeks ago. Polish silver H Plus Son TB14s, 32 silver Sapim race spokes, a SON Delux wide body front hub and a NOS silver V1 DT Hugi rear that I've had in a box for over 10 years waiting for a build-up that justified it (they would have gone on my Colnago but I went with Campy for the cup n cones).

There's something very nice about classic silver hand-built wheels. Cloth tape on too, none of that tubeless faff : )
Wheels were from Paul at VeloWheels, really good service and a fair price.
Need some pics of wheels and frame James - I have my 1963 Falcon frame at the chrome platers at the moment before I give it a full respray. Currently trawling ebay and retrobike etc for period Campy gears and stuff, then I need to rebuild the tub wheels. I like a nice steel road bike!!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A surprise from my brother - a book entitled 'The Fixer Handbook' or the book of Hillbilly wisdom. Cabin buiding, still making, etc .... fantastic. :-bd

May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:39 am Aye, silver wheels look lovely on the right bike.

Skinwall tyres for sir?
Probably, when I find the right ones. Jack Brown 28s? Got 28mm Ultrasports for now, good tyres for the £ but not quite 'right'.

Steve, will do. Likewise with your chrome project, sounds 👌
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

A ZTTO mech hanger alignment tool. Looking forward to slick shifting from now on.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Arrived sometime yesterday , a new bar harness seat harness and dry bag , exported from tir na nog. And very fine they are too
Cheers Stu :-bd
robsmuddygloves

Post by robsmuddygloves »

And delivered an acepac bar harness, cheers Stu! Seems very well made, really should post it in the bargain alert thread! :-bd
faustus

Post by faustus »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:40 pm A surprise from my brother - a book entitled 'The Fixer Handbook' or the book of Hillbilly wisdom. Cabin buiding, still making, etc .... fantastic. :-bd

Wow, that looks good! Hog dressing and faith heling! :-bd
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Thanks to the post over on the bargain thread I finally bought the coat I've been hovering over for the last 12 months or so.

The Gore Shakedry - this is the R7 with the hood from the deal in Wheelbase for £156

Although I'm not big I went for the XL and it's a touch too big, but does fit nicely over my cycling jacket which I wore today.
My arms need to grow another 2" or 3" each to fit perfectly, but I know that if I went for the large it would only be good for summer over a thin cycling shirt as it wouldn't fit over the jackets that I used 8 months of the years.

So the Columbia Outdry jacket is for walking and long downpour rides when speed and pack size bulk isn't essential and this for the rest of the year.
It was nice to see on the label the words "Guaranteed Waterproof"
Last edited by JohnClimber on Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Quite a guarantee! No caveats? :wink:

Postie dropped me a GoOutdoors catalogue - "we have re-opened stronger than ever" apparently .....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

RIP wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:46 pm Quite a guarantee! No caveats? :wink:
That's what it says on the label
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:46 pm Postie dropped me a GoOutdoors catalogue - "we have re-opened stronger than ever" apparently .....
I also have a GoOutdoors catalogue and a card from the postman to say I have a parcel to collect. I've been working from home for months and the one day I go in to the office* for a couple of hours I miss the postman :roll:

* I went in to use the large format plotter but a recent windows update had interfered with AutoCAD's ability to print so I spent the first hour installing further updates and fixing that. Once I got the signals flowing to the printer it then failed as where it's not been used in months the print heads have dried up so there's an error message saying they need replacing and we don't keep them in stock as they are £50 each. It would have been more productive to stay at home and tidy my bivi kit/wash the bike etc. Luckily it was only a work drawing I wanted to print and not something important like a myog pattern :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

A set of 29er 130mm Reba Boosts

I’d worry they might be flex during hard riding, but I ride like a wimp so no danger of that!
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:58 pm Luckily it was only a work drawing I wanted to print and not something important like a myog pattern :grin:
:lol:

Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Not in the post but I collected a rather nice bike project,
An early 9 zero 7 frame with Surly forks, built 17.5 mm offset
To accommodate Fat wheels and tyres on standard 135mm
Hubs, got it past the purchase Police by stating it's so we
Can go on beach rides together.....She's having none of it :grin:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Smoove lube arrived today. Bit of a history with this stuff as (I think) Stus review said it lasts ages whereas my on-ground experience showed it didn't even last 200 (road) miles. Then gave it away and slowly realised it was/had avtually lasted about 400 or more miles on the mtb. But then it was too late. That was about 3 years ago or so and in the meanwhile I've experimented with plenty of 'tat', including slow cooking the chain (doesn't last more than 100 miles road ride) with thw suggested stuff...

Anyway, am back to it and hopefully understand it a bit more now :-bd thanks to whoever spotted it in the first place and to CycloRise for importing the stuff...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer down jacket from Wiggle.

Much more importantly: Toy Dolls "Wakey Wakey" CD including the superb Pot Belly Bill track.

Anyway, Ghost Whisperer. Having done bugger all and not been anywhere, the credit card has been £0 for 3 months so thought I'd better put something on it. PHD sent their "June News" which offered the superb new Wafer Ultima Jacket (1000fp, 0degC, 185g) for the super-bargain price of... £299. Excluding postage and hood. Sorely tempted, but you just can't can you?

Been thinking of a down jacket for ages, but never been able to justify one for the stuff I do. Then I realised that I'm a pensioner and will need one soon anyway to go with the slippers and fingerless gloves. Lasts a lifetime (not as long as once was!) once bought, so let's check the alternatives.

Didn't take long to home in on the MHGW - 7x10D, 800fp hydrophobic down, pockets, DWR, and only 220g. But again... £240! Can't justify it.

Then Wiggle has version 1 on sale because version 2 is out. Half price at £119, now that's more like it. And the version 2 is heavier anyway (250g).

It really is bonkers light - my scales say 209g which is only 25g more than the Wafer but a third of the price. Sorry PHD this time :sad:.

For 3.5-season use can now ditch one fleece, and possibly just sleep in the PHD Minim + MHGW + MD down hat (395g + 209g + 25g = 629g). That would also mean only needing 10L bar bag and 13L seatpack, since the Minim/GW/hat could go in the back of the seatpack. Hmm.