Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Ray Young »

Ooooh, you are a tease!
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Just received one of these, a Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Day Pack...

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/86

Brilliant little thing & only 70 grams on my scales. Could really have done with this at the weekend so I wasn't carrying supplies in a carrier bag on my handlebars for the few miles to the bivy spot
I got/carried one of these for early morning road riding in France over the last two years.... it's my excuse to get up early for a long ride and then come back loaded down with pain au chocolat and croissant. Definately better than stuffing them all in a sweaty jersey! Excellent addition.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Quite excited by these new arrivals, not for me but the kids.
Recently I'd thought I'd lost my Revelate gas tank to Billy's bike but I had two of these on order.

Billy's Islabike CNOC 16

Nelly's Islabike CNOC 16

Same quality of work as my grown up frame bag
Mart

Post by Mart »

Liking the wee frame bags above. Postie just dropped some lovely carbony goodness on the mat
Trying out an exotic seatpost to see if I can get a bit more comfort (must have a delicate backside :lol: )
2924 miles per Gallon
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Posty has been round my house too in the last couple of days. First a Framebag from Wildcat for my Fargo which I thought was small untill I saw Flatfishy's. Mind you should be big enough for my teddies :D

Wildcat Frame bag by Brother Smith, on Flickr

Wildcat frame bag inside by Brother Smith, on Flickr

Next is my Cuben Lair from Bearpaw Wilderness Designs with extended beak, vent and Pyranet 1 inner.Weight for fly and inner is 382g. Need to add 10 ti pegs and lightweigt pole to that but in short term will use a trekking pole until I figure optimum hight for pitching.

This was also first pitch so not put up very well. :?

New tarp tent by Brother Smith, on Flickr

New tent side on by Brother Smith, on Flickr
Gari

Re: The post man's been ...really

Post by Gari »

So my bags arrived yesterday, almost a full set of Revelate, all that is missing is the jerrycan. somehow managed to order 2 gastanks mind?!
look pretty good, very shiny, especially the Sling. the front side is covered in a very shiny black coating, one of the staff hought it was a pair of "gimp" boxers :shock:

Gastank
Seat Pack
Sling
Spocket, Front Pocket and Tangle bag

and the bike all dressed up
Gari

Post by Gari »

Not sure why the pics have been cropped on the right hand side :?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

What was the damage for the lair and pyranet?
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

All £290 including shipping. Its expensive but couldn't find any tents of same weight and flexibility for price when I was looking. I also decided to splash the cash on cuban.

Not sure about the vent at moment, its not that big and has a stiffener which limits how small you can pack it. Havent used it yet though and had heard cuban does tend to build moisture if not well vented so it may prove its worth.
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Brothersmith, any chance of a picture of the Lair & Pyranet packed up please? (for pack size). Thanks!
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Will try to take some pics tonight
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

super, thanks!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

@Brothersmith ... couple of things but obviously feel free to tell me to bugger off ;)

Try attaching your net to the pegging points/apex suspension point on the Lair with some 2mm shockcord, thing goes up and down in one, saves on pegs for the net and helps keep the base of the net nice and tight.

An extra guy on the front of the beak helps with any flapping. The single guy (on the LH side of the beak as you look at it) seems to do an okay job of holding that panel tight but not the other side. Adding one to the RH side means you can adjust them independently of each other and get a tighter pitch ... pole length helps with that too.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dyffers

Re: The post man's been ...really

Post by Dyffers »

Gari wrote:somehow managed to order 2 gastanks mind?!
I could relieve you of one of those if you didn't want it... :)
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

pedalhead wrote:rothersmith, any chance of a picture of the Lair & Pyranet packed up please? (for pack size). Thanks!
Happy to oblige, although I am not sure you get an idea of scale. You could also squish it up a bit smaller

Lair and Pyranet 1 packed by Brother Smith, on Flickr
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Thanks for the tips Stu, there were no instructions and I was trying to pitch from a Youtube vid.
Try attaching your net to the pegging points/apex suspension point on the Lair with some 2mm shockcord, thing goes up and down in one, saves on pegs for the net and helps keep the base of the net nice and tight.
I was initially going off Johns advice on Youtube where he says pitch the lair separately. I have now worked how to do it using same pegs as Lair using the supplied spectra and line locks. Like the idea of shock cord though. Reason it looks so droopy in pics is I didn't have pole set high enough so even though groundsheet taught the net was drooping
An extra guy on the front of the beak helps with any flapping. The single guy (on the LH side of the beak as you look at it) seems to do an okay job of holding that panel tight but not the other side. Adding one to the RH side means you can adjust them independently of each other and get a tighter pitch ... pole length helps with that too.
Ran out of spectra to do both sides :roll: Now sorted that.

Any advice on pole height? My trekking pole at 126cm was a bit short. Zpacks do a 52" carbon pole but not sure if that would be too long?

Any other pitching tips gratefully appreciated
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Brothersmith wrote:
pedalhead wrote:rothersmith, any chance of a picture of the Lair & Pyranet packed up please? (for pack size). Thanks!
Happy to oblige, although I am not sure you get an idea of scale. You could also squish it up a bit smaller

Lair and Pyranet 1 packed by Brother Smith, on Flickr
Thanks matey, that's useful
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any advice on pole height? My trekking pole at 126cm was a bit short. Zpacks do a 52" carbon pole but not sure if that would be too long?
I've found 130cm to be about right, much shorter and (as you've found) you struggle to get the thing tight in all directions.

I'm a little dubious of carbon poles after seeing how Ians flexed under his Zpacks tarp ... quite worrying. I think a pole made from Easton nano sections would be better, although I've yet to try.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Over the last week I've started buying the stuff I need for my new Inbred. :) So far I am in possession of;

19.5" Slot drop out Inbred 29er in sand. (Decided to go for this size after some debate, good choice I think, very similar sizing to my 19" Genesis Core 30, which fits nicely.)

FSA Orbit Xtreme Headset.

On One Fleegle Pro (Cocked up a little here, made the mistake of not noticing the Pro version is only 660mm, not 715mm like the regular. :roll: Too narrow really, so I'll have to send them back to be swapped..)

On One CNC stem, 60mm.

On One Half Bob grips.

And a RaceFace Evolve crankset with Blacksire 32t chainring and a BB. (courtesy of Brothersmith, thanks very much!)

Very pleased with it all, just need to find some more money to buy all the other bits, due to being a broke student.. :p
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

Any more news on the ultra light bivi bag?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any more news on the ultra light bivi bag?
First outing tomorrow night ... I'll report back.
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

How did the first outing with the bivy bag go, Stuart?

International postman has just delivered my new MLD eVENT mitts. 37g for the pair (large size...they're a bit too big if anything!). I'm looking forward to testing these over the winter. Hoping that I can avoid full-on (bulky, heavy) winter gloves and use 3-season gloves + overmitts instead.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

While I was away the postman delivered a Bozeman Mountain Works Stealth 1 tarp. It's Spinnaker, although it looks like Cuben. There's enough room for 2 under it as it measures 220cm x 280cm, weight of tarp alone is 165g, complete with a full set of guys and linelocks it's 220g ... should be able to get that figure down to below 200g though.

I'm glad to report that I found it secondhand so didn't have to pay anything like full price :)
How did the first outing with the bivy bag go, Stuart?
Still not tried it yet :roll: I will however be out next week when I'll be trying the bag, tarp and rather cozy down quilt. All 3 items combined come in at 935g and owe me not a lot in the great scheme of things.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Looks good for £40
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Looks good for £40
It looks brand new, you wouldn't know it was secondhand. I think they were something like $150 new :shock: