The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:44 pm Floatation shorts and a Transition Bag. This wild swimming thing is getting expensive.
First sounds like something out of an issue of Viz. As for a "transition bag" - do what?

Still, new gear :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Transition bag; a fancy backpack that has a compartment for a wet wetsuit, a nice soft-lined pocket for goggles and various other pockets. Handy for keeping all the kit together when walking to and from swimming spots.

Consider it an upgrade from my current IKEA bag :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice to have a supply of reading material laid down for when the flag goes up again, so on return from hols it was good to find Mike Carter's 'One Man On His Bike' on the back door step. Also a parcel from a very fine gentleman on the Isle of Wight - 'Long Standing Ambition' relating Jono Dunnett's solo round-Britain windsurf caper. Many thanks Sean.

Last edited by RIP on Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aforementioned postie also deposited the u/l 1:1 ratio line tensioners I'd purchased for the Gatewood. For some reason I ended up with two sets in two different parcels! I'm certainly going to have some very tense lines with all those.

A good feature is that rather than relying on friction to keep things tight, there's a little built-in slider thingy which grips the line when under tension. This means they do indeed work with 0.5mm line so I'm very pleased with them.

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ve missed this thread, having hit critical mass with Bivvy kit and bike there really was nothing I needed or wanted......

But on longer rides there was a nagging feeling of being slightly too long in the stem department.
Now normally it would be a simple case of just finding a shorter stem, however I was running a 70mm 35deg rise and the 50mm options all seemed to be zero rise, then I found the holy grail.
A 50mm 30 deg stem :YMPARTY:
WOW! It’s utterly transformed the feeling, the front wheel feels like it’s way out in front (in a very good way) and every position just feels like an old pair of jeans.
Shocked at how much difference 20mm has made.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:48 pm Transition bag; a fancy backpack that has a compartment for a wet wetsuit, a nice soft-lined pocket for goggles and various other pockets. Handy for keeping all the kit together when walking to and from swimming spots.

Consider it an upgrade from my current IKEA bag :lol:
Uh oh, are you venturing into Triathlon product territory? That way lies madness for gear hoarding! You’ll be buying aero.... no.... hydrodynamic open water goggles next that’ll save you 0.2 seconds every hundred miles.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

RIP wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:02 pm Nice to have a supply of reading material laid down for when the flag goes up again, so on return from hols it was good to find Mike Carter's 'One Man On His Bike' on the back door step. Also a parcel from a very fine gentleman on the Isle of Wight - 'Long Standing Ambition' relating Jono Dunnett's solo round-Britain windsurf caper. Many thanks Sean.

Oh, that book looks like my cup of tea. Although just thinking about that is making my Adhesive Capsulitis ache!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Tell you what, let's share the lurv around - when I've read it I'll pass it on to you :smile: . See how many we can send it to....

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:48 am Tell you what, let's share the lurv around - when I've read it I'll pass it on to you :smile: . See how many we can send it to....
I'll take after that pls
RIP

Post by RIP »

Could you PM me your address please, 'Monster? I'll move it to the top of the pending book pile.

ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

With 22000 miles book. Looking forward to reading this. First quick flick through, I'm impressed by the quality!
Last edited by ssnowman on Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May satan walk with you
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I too have a copy of 22,000 miles, exciting!
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

RIP wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:46 pm Could you PM me your address please, 'Monster? I'll move it to the top of the pending book pile.
Oh vaguely exciting thank you, PM on the way
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

... and delivered a lovely pair of stem bags from Mackworkshop
RIP

Post by RIP »

Piemonster wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:57 pm
RIP wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:46 pm Could you PM me your address please, 'Monster? I'll move it to the top of the pending book pile.
Right, have read it. Hoof your address over to me Pie, and I'll stick it in the post afore Thursday's house-arrest or you'll have to wait a month :smile: .

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:48 pm
Piemonster wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:57 pm
Right, have read it. Hoof your address over to me Pie, and I'll stick it in the post afore Thursday's house-arrest or you'll have to wait a month :smile: .
Hold on Reg... during lockdown aren't we allowed to post owt?
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Just taken delivery of some 5mm eyelets, some glazing film (polycro) and five foil blankets. Watch out for some ultralight emergency micro tarp experimentation over on MYOG. :ugeek:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Took delivery of this Scurfa watch.

I have had a different model for a few years and I have found it indestructible and still looks as good as the day I bought it.

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:48 pm Right, have read it.
Already :o it took me weeks, but then I had to go to work between chapters, oh to be retired :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

An old, but still remarkably functional Thermarest Trail Lite in a small flavour

600gms, r value of 3.8 for the princely sum of £5!

Loft is good on self inflation, but it has been stored rolled up so whether the r value still holds I shall have fun finding out
Image Image
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:48 pm
Already :o it took me weeks, but then I had to go to work between chapters, oh to be retired :wink:
I thought that, almost intimidating 😆

I usually grab 20 a day max before falling asleep!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Piemonster wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:48 am
sean_iow wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:48 pm
I thought that, almost intimidating 😆

I usually grab 20 a day max before falling asleep!
Had a long soak in the bath - soon got through it :wink: . Got two others on the go at the same time so had to park those temporarily. I know, it's embarrassing, it's a character flaw, I get very jittery if I don't have a book on the go all the time. Five 2nd-hand ones on the way at the moment, shan't say what they are or Sean'll take the piss :grin: (suffice to say they are so obscure even Have I Got News For You wouldn't use them for the 'fill in the quote blanks' round).

RIP

Post by RIP »

I have to say I didn't find it a totally satisfying read, but shan't say why - don't want to spoil the pass-it-on game :smile: .

RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Hold on Reg... during lockdown aren't we allowed to post owt?
Dunno. Maybe walking to the PO could be deemed an 'essential reason to leave the house' since it is infinitesimally (*) helping to improve the mental health of the nation?

Anyway gimme your address Pie, then no need to find out.....

(*) took me three goes to spell that correctly, it's too early in the day.

faustus

Post by faustus »

A 2nd hand Mk4 Exposure Toro arrived yesterday, in good condition and seems decently powerful. Pretty pleased as it was a good price. Should help with lots of night riding this winter...