The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Ian »

TheBrownDog wrote:I'd be interested in thoughts on the Mucky Nutz guards as they are a potential Xmas pressie for my son. They get very mixed reviews, so some thought out comments would be greatly appreciated.
I like mine. I fitted a front "bender fender" on the Puffin and a rear "Butt Fender". In use, I'm pleased with them both - even on a 4" tyre. I got absolutely plastered on a ride with the Puffin a couple of weeks ago without a guard on. With the bender fender fitted, it reduced 95% of the crap from my face. The butt fender is light, reasonably effective and unobtrusive (I hate the rear crud guards). It has enough flex to bend out of the way when you want to get the weight back a bit, but seems to be long enough that you don't get caught up on it in the process.

Only niggle - they come with labels on them to tell you how to fit them, but they don't peel off at all easily :evil: Took me longer to scratch and scrape the labels off and remove the sticky with white spirit than it did to fit the damn things. Other thing to note - if you're using rigid forks, the holes in the bender fender are in the wrong place. I had to punch some more out so they were in line with the top of the fork, rather than the fork brace position of suspension forks.

That said, at 50% off, I've just order three more of each.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

50% where?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Keep up at the back ;)

http://www.muckynutz.com/index.php?rout ... ry&path=49

(originally posted in the Bargain Alert Thread)
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Cheers Ian - really helpful, thanks. Order put in for a set front and back.
I'm just going outside ...
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Definitely adjust the holes. I rubbed through the down tube paint on bb200. Whoops. Gave up on the labels!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

TheBrownDog wrote: Also took delivery of a set of Cinelli Spinaci bar extensions in orange to match the Inbred. I remember these things from way back at the tail end of the Dachshund of Time when all the Italian pros used them until they were banned because they kept falling down when they did so. I've been wanting to try them cos I think they have potential as a frame or cradle for a dry bag. I shall report back on this - it will either be a masterstroke or an epic fail.
I got either these or the 3t ones from on-one many months ago. One bar just wouldn't tighten up :(
As they were a fiver, I couldn't be bothered posting them back for a refund. Keep meaning to try bar ends in-board as an alternative as this thread shows
http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... t=bar+ends
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I got either these or the 3t ones from on-one many months ago. One bar just wouldn't tighten up
As they were a fiver, I couldn't be bothered posting them back for a refund. Keep meaning to try bar ends in-board as an alternative as this thread shows
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2345&hilit=bar+ends
Many of these are designed for road diameter bars, ie 26mm so don't work well with smaller diameter mountain bike bars.

When I tried some, I could get them to tighten but using them for their intended purpose made them move ... work okay as a support or bracket though.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Mucky Nutz fenders' stickers - soak them in soapy (fairy liquid) water in the kitchen sink for a while (half and hour+), dissolves the glue completely. You'd think they would tell you! :oops:
Mpolo

bear bones stove

Post by Mpolo »

my new bear bones stove arrived today. ready for our christmas trip to Morocco my partner was not impressed said its a good job we´re not cooking christmas dinner on it
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

A slight second Troutie Spider Eye helmet light arrived today from Troutie himself

Now the question is
"What shades for night riding"

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

my new bear bones stove arrived today. ready for our christmas trip to Morocco my partner was not impressed said its a good job we´re not cooking christmas dinner on it
It's been done ... just show her this ;)

May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

My Salsa anything cages arrived today, nice one Charlie!

Are there any good dry bags on the market that work well with them? Something semi rigid would be good to support items inside
Ian

Post by Ian »

Not the postman, but actually bought from a real shop: OMM ultra waist pouch 6 (a bum bag, for the uninitiated). Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow on the Two Ton route
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Took advantage of the Planet-X / On-One 15% off offer and stocked up on winter stuff.

Merino buff, socks and arm warmers. Winter overshoes and gloves. Roadie cap for under the helmet (not too sure how one wears these in real life as opposed to in Crikey, how much photo-shoots but I'll give it a go).

I've now multiple pairs of the thicky merino socks, which are a real delight to wear and great value.

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I've now multiple pairs of the thicky merino socks, which are a real delight to wear and great value.
Me too. These socks are a gold plated bargain.
I'm just going outside ...
Mpolo

Re: bear bones stove

Post by Mpolo »

Mpolo wrote:my new bear bones stove arrived today. ready for our christmas trip to Morocco my partner was not impressed said its a good job we´re not cooking christmas dinner on it
we tried it out today only for a cuppa at our beach stop but she (and i) are very impressed quick clean boil.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

- Tesa no tubes rim tape stuff (Ta for link Jameson)
- Stans No tubes goo
- Valves
and a new tyre of course.

Tubeless Supplies by zippyonline, on Flickr
drain

Post by drain »

Marmot Hydrogen sleeping bag arrived today from RacingThePlanet, a bar-gin price - hopefully I can now go out and play in the colder stuff!

Also one of Stu's 22g stoves plus a beanie :D

jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Took advantage of the STW PSA and got a pair of M520 SPD pedals for £13 as spares. And a second spare, spare pair
Mpolo

Post by Mpolo »

2 Marmot hydrogen sleeping bags arrived this evening thanks to the tip from Drain, we might be needing them in the house as the powers off and using my new Bear bones meths stove for cups of tea.a foil serving platter really speeds things up.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Excited!
A new/sample Alfine 6V/1.5W disc dynamo hub in black. ~380g. Hoping that there's some good LED options that will make it a useful lower-power source for my randonneur-style bike. Something with steel F+F, hydro discs, bar-enders and fenders. Not CX-based, more of a fast-handling carrier of minimal bivi/travel gear.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Charge Spoon from Clink and Thomson seat post from Zigrat - thank you muchly chaps.

The Puffin now has it's own seat post without having to borrow one off the Winged Horse. Luxury.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Not through the post but picked up a revo from si at 18 bikes today. Have the hub built into a wheel so am ready to go dynamo :)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Down hat from PHD in their recent sale.

I know they're hardly a fashion item but it's a funny old fit, bit like a conehead. Hey ho, function over form 8-)
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Uniqlo down vest arrived today. It packs down smaller than a tennis ball but seems fairly warm. Looking forward to giving it a proper test