The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mattpage

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by mattpage »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:19 pm Expect I will be cancelling my order and going back to JRA; Similar components, but hand built in the UK by a business that understands what Quality is.
Jon & JRA builds incredible wheels. A true master wheel builder and someone that will happily give you honest advice.
The Bitex hubs they use are also great, or you can spec different hubs also.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just in case anyone gets stuck with a Bitex hub... The weak point apparently, although well built in other regards, can be the actual bearings. But its meant to be an easy fix (upgrade) to better cartridges and you're off...

Aren't Hunt famous for using Kinlin rims (which are good)... according to The Cycle Clinic (AFAIR)... Not a bad thing as Kinlin are supposed to be really good (and marry well with the Bitex to give some decent wheels)...
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Acepac seat harness from Bb Towers. Thanks. Bought it for my minder. Now I’m sort of jealous - it looks like a good bit of kit.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Don't worry Lu, there should be more here towards the end of next week :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A couple of replacement maps inc' a new edition of 215 simply because of the cover :wink:

RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd . Can JUST about see you waving in the distance there.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Trekkertent stealth 1 with fabric inner yesterday (does that I have a 3 to mild 4 seasons tent... I think quite possibly)... Thanks Bumpy Jonas :-bd

Then this am woke up to find a lovely Kona Merino jersey with an extra bonus jersey with it (thanks Colin)...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:51 am
Then this am woke up to find a lovely Kona Merino jersey with an extra bonus jersey with it (thanks Colin)...
I hope you'll be very happy together :lol:
ton

Post by ton »

had a good week this week with lots of stuff landing.
2 x eped synmats for me and mrs t. 1 x tipi tent with 2 inners. 1 x parcel from alpkit with loads of stuff in.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I got sent a Brownie from Ordnance Survey ... no Reg, the edible version.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Boab

Post by Boab »

Thanks to whoever it was that mentioned these in the bargains thread. 👍

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:30 pm I got sent a Brownie from Ordnance Survey ... no Reg, the edible version.
Didn’t realise os sold edibles Dave , must scour their site a bit better only been to get gummy bear edibles round this way :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Gummy bear edibles"?? Now that must be a euphemism surely?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

RIP wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:14 pm "Gummy bear edibles"?? Now that must be a euphemism surely?
Reg I have no idea what your talking about
RIP

Post by RIP »

On reflection, neither have I :smile: . The phrase just had an offbeat edge to it somehow.

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

A very nice 3D printed tarp pole "mushroom" arrived this morning. Thanks to Rich3rd for the 3D printer file. I am new to all this, so hadn't the foggiest knowledge of the 3D printing industry, but was just delighted with the result from a local company. £22 it was ... not exactly cheap for a few grams of plastic or resin or whatever it is, but I'm very happy with it.

I'm just going outside ...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

A pair of Granite Juicy Nipples. Ridiculous metal valve caps that double as core removers. Have had a couple of incidents and for the tiny weight, dual purpose :lol: etc seemed a simple bit of "insurance" against a stupid, ride ending event involving valve cores :cool:

Vaguely wondered about getting a couple more but looked on Amazon again and they are all now nearly £12 a pair :shock: I thought 50% of that price (what I paid) was a bit silly but wowser! I imagine I'll never use them now I've got them.
jameso

Post by jameso »

benp1 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:37 pm Post up pics if you can please James, I've heard good things about those mudguards. I'm running SKS guards with my 35/32mm Marathon plus tyres, but they fitted with 40c nanos as well
Cross-post image thanks to Shafiq who pulled the image off my Twitter thread onto BB so I can post here -

All in all, impressed with the guards in terms of fit. They've done some miles now but they've been dry miles. No rattles or movement though. Really stable. The silver finish marks easily and also polishes up well, going to let them show the wear and tear but if you wanted them to stay shiny and smooth I think you'd have a bit of work on your hands, or frustration. Black version's probably tougher if they're anodised. I swapped out the VO stay-to-guard fitting and used some old U-channel fittings I had. The VO mounts take up too much toe space. Plus, U-channels are what Honjos use - must be good.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Good job there James, looks lovely that
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

jameso wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:33 pm
benp1 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:37 pm Post up pics if you can please James, I've heard good things about those mudguards. I'm running SKS guards with my 35/32mm Marathon plus tyres, but they fitted with 40c nanos as well
Cross-post image thanks to Shafiq who pulled the image off my Twitter thread onto BB so I can post here -

All in all, impressed with the guards in terms of fit. They've done some miles now but they've been dry miles. No rattles or movement though. Really stable. The silver finish marks easily and also polishes up well, going to let them show the wear and tear but if you wanted them to stay shiny and smooth I think you'd have a bit of work on your hands, or frustration. Black version's probably tougher if they're anodised. I swapped out the VO stay-to-guard fitting and used some old U-channel fittings I had. The VO mounts take up too much toe space. Plus, U-channels are what Honjos use - must be good.
What a lovely bike!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What a lovely bike!
'Tis isn't it. Now making my think I should get my Mercier rebuilt.
jameso

Post by jameso »

:-bd thanks :smile: ... headed your way soon Stuart, planning a week's riding in Wales on it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Actually yesterday, not today but a copy of ' Highland Highways - Old roads in Atholl' and very interesting it is.

headed your way soon Stuart, planning a week's riding in Wales on it.
Do call in if you're (a) anywhere near (b) can be arsed :wink:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

A "factory seconds" Exposure Toro. I hummed and hahed for ages about this particular purchase as I already have some decent lights but succumbed in the end. The justification (to myself :roll: ) is that it'll make riding to work safer and a more desirable activity once the dark nights return but in reality it wasn't strictly necessary. I'd previously borrowed a Six Pack from a friend to try out, it was incredibly bright but a bit bulky (like strapping a tin of beans to your bars!) Hopefully the Toro will strike the right balance between brightness and size for my particular usage.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:25 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:15 pm with a custom plate (it would be, wouldn't it?)
There does seem to be a correlation between having a vanity plate and poor driving standards. The worst are people with plates in black with white letters as they have an older number on a new vehicle, although I always thought the colour of the plate depended on the age of the vehicle not the date the number was originally issued? Mind you, as they are usually so bad at driving they shouldn't be on the road then having an illegal plate is the least of the things they should be prosecuted for.
The one nice thing about spotting a vehicle with private plates is that you know it won't be the rozzers, so you don't have to worry at what speed you overtake it in the car :mrgreen: