The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearlegged

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Bearlegged »

A little delivery of bits and bobs from Joe's shop. Whilst I commend his approach to reuse of packaging, there's a bit of me that's disappointed not to have received some Morrison's "The Best" rum & raisin truffles...
Boab

Post by Boab »

... and dropped off some spray on cycling kit. Should've arrived yesterday, then I could've worn them this morning, washed them and then used them for a ~312km jaunt to the seaside and back this weekend. Not sure I want to use virgin shorts for a two day ride, without having at least ridden around the block and washed them first.

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

One of them panda power banks they were goin on about in the bargain alert thread. A bit bigger / heavier than expected but will do the job and I won't lose it unlike my last (black) one
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

Tyres and tubeless tape arrived, plus some ESI XXL grips for the Geoff bars. Now just need the bike to arrive...due Wednesday :cool:
atk

Post by atk »

Valley & Peak apex quilt turned up. Looks very well made. Pretty bulky as you'd expect from synthetic. Might need to rethink luggage a little but probably worth it.
gordonbennett

Post by gordonbennett »

A Ribble windproof Gilet and a pair of SKS Anywhere water bottle mounts from @Gpl23’s £5 spare room clear out.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

One of those Unior cassette lockring emergency tools (and a lovely blue Endura t-shirt). Must get around to trying it out before I need to!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

.....with:-
A pair of Maxxis Chronicles (29+)
A nice Andel retro styled chainset for the fixxie
A Sram rival crankset for the g***** bike
A dm ring for above
Some silicon endcaps for above
some wee spacers so I can use a hope BB on the above
New bearings for the above.....
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:16 pm One of those Unior cassette lockring emergency tools (and a lovely blue Endura t-shirt). Must get around to trying it out before I need to!
I tried my hypercracker recently and it works with a geared bike when you get the chain onto the big sprocket, but not on the SS as you can't get enough torque to it..... In the field I would have to remove a pedal and find a bit of scaffold tube to go over the crank.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

htrider wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:57 pm I tried my hypercracker recently and it works with a geared bike when you get the chain onto the big sprocket, but not on the SS as you can't get enough torque to it..... In the field I would have to remove a pedal and find a bit of scaffold tube to go over the crank.
Wasn't the amount of effort limited you could put into those hypercrackers limited to the strength of the chainstay? I'm not sure I'd try with a long lever over the crank. :shock:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Dyffers wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:41 pm
htrider wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:57 pm I tried my hypercracker recently and it works with a geared bike when you get the chain onto the big sprocket, but not on the SS as you can't get enough torque to it..... In the field I would have to remove a pedal and find a bit of scaffold tube to go over the crank.
Wasn't the amount of effort limited you could put into those hypercrackers limited to the strength of the chainstay? I'm not sure I'd try with a long lever over the crank. :shock:
I got heavy metal!
Yeah I wouldn't be going too mad with a TI, ally or carbon chainstay....
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

htrider wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:57 pm .....with:-
From Poland by any chance? Still waiting on mine......
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

woodsmith wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:49 pm
Yup. Took three weeks and I didn't get any comms after the initial 'order received' email. :-bd
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

htrider wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:18 pm
woodsmith wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:49 pm
Yup. Took three weeks and I didn't get any comms after the initial 'order received' email. :-bd
Thanks. I'll stop curtain twitching for the postie in that case.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Hardnutz helmet to replace the one nicked during QuarryQuest. Fairly cheap and cheerful. Once it's satisfied the various safety marks I've given up choosing flashier ones.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

A lovely gift that I wasn’t expecting.

Also 2 new Torm jerseys.

They are so good the last order was 10 years ago and are still going
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

One of these
Attachments
64201C0A-D40A-4A94-889E-C775B4CBD34E.jpeg
64201C0A-D40A-4A94-889E-C775B4CBD34E.jpeg (310.78 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
Boab

Post by Boab »

My newly repaired frame bag, could've done with this at the weekend, but hey-ho...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

The Post Man's been....
..... but I was out on the bike. Bugger.
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

2nd hand Thomson Elite 30.9mm x 410mm seatpost from eBay, to go on the new bike.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

voodoo_simon wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:39 pm One of these
Been looking at these on ebay this week, it's a bit of a bargain. I'm supposed to be saving up for a Grizl or Digger in autumn but these are very tempting,

What are the first impressions? Some reviews suggest it might be more roady than I'm after, but but then others says it's very capable with 650b's

Happy new bike btw :grin:
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

htrider wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:02 pm
I got heavy metal!
Given that the most likely reason to use the Unior tool "in the field" is to get the cassette off, so that you can replace a spoke, this shouldn't be an issue on a single speed, due to the gap between spokes and sprocket.

There is probably a scenario that I haven't considered, though.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

belugabob wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:02 pm
htrider wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:02 pm
I got heavy metal!
Given that the most likely reason to use the Unior tool "in the field" is to get the cassette off, so that you can replace a spoke, this shouldn't be an issue on a single speed, due to the gap between spokes and sprocket.

There is probably a scenario that I haven't considered, though.
Right enough. I was thinking more along the lines of self destructing freewheels and the possibility of fixing it.....
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Granite rockband carrier strap just turned up. I was going to buy the backcountry one but this one is half the price and functionally similar. Going to use it to strap an inner tube to my seat so I don't have to carry one in my waist pack on local rides.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Shewie wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:55 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:39 pm One of these
Been looking at these on ebay this week, it's a bit of a bargain. I'm supposed to be saving up for a Grizl or Digger in autumn but these are very tempting,

What are the first impressions? Some reviews suggest it might be more roady than I'm after, but but then others says it's very capable with 650b's

Happy new bike btw :grin:
Went out for an hour last night, some road and some flat gravel. First impressions were it’s comfortable and stable. It doesn’t keep bad pace on the roads if I’m being honest (previous road bike was an aero, carbon wheel thingy that was fast as).

I do think the gearing gives it away on what it can be used for, 50/34 on the front is definitely biased towards road and flatter gravel (personal thinking).

Not yet pushed it on the gravel or used it in anger, so time will tell but for as a road bike that can take in canal paths, bridleways and forest roads, then yeah, seems perfect for that.

Review here https://advntr.cc/salsa-warroad/
Mart

Post by Mart »

a couple of new shimano discs for the spares basket
The ones on the bouncy bike took a hammering recently - so scored already but it was very gritty
2924 miles per Gallon