The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

yourguitarhero

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by yourguitarhero »

directdrive wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:43 pm
yourguitarhero wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:01 am A pair of "Menora" 4 pot brakes from AliExpress. Essentially rebadged Clarks M4s which are totally unavailable anywhere - even asked Clarks themselves who have none.
These seem totally spot on and were £41 for the pair, delivered from China in a week. They're even right hand front/left hand rear.
would be interested in a medium/long term update on how these pan out!
Quick update on these:

The post mount adaptors that came with them were a bit rubbish and the hydraulic cables were a little short - had to re-use the one that was on my internally routed full sus' rear brake. However the cable with the brake fitted my XL hardtail nor problem.

In use they have been great. They stop the bike easily. Quite a progressive brake, not a very sharp bite (like Shimano) - a bit more like a Hope brake in feel.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think its worth more than a Zee shifter
I doubt it. I was given a selection of NOS shirts to do with as I saw fit ... I saw fit :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A Bluto service kit - all the way from Germany as that's the only ace I could find stock.

RAF MVP trousers. My plan was to cut them down for use as waterproof shorts, but they're absolutely massive in the leg width/arse too so they'll be going back
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:17 am
I think its worth more than a Zee shifter
I doubt it. I was given a selection of NOS shirts to do with as I saw fit ... I saw fit :wink:
Worth more to me than a zee shifter then :wink:
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

Today, a squished 36T SRAM 36T direct mount chainwheel for the Kite. Since ordering, I found that I had the 40T chainwheel, rather than the 38T I thought was on for the Dartmoor 200 :| Makes me feel a little better about the hills I suppose.

Also worthy a mention was the ebay GRX copy brake pads purchased just before MoorsOneHundred ride for the Topstone. I was skeptical they would hold-up for a ride in North Yorkshire grit. But they were the only ones I could find in the week before the ride. They actually performed as well as the original OEM and show only the normal expected wear. Plus a pair was less than the price of one set from S :-bd

ImageGRX eBay by Andy Wright, on Flickr
Boab

Post by Boab »

... and dropped off a new front light.

Edit: And another one has just dropped off a Ryobi One+ cordless power washer. No more dirty bike.
Last edited by Boab on Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

That looks really nice. Didn't know they came in a few colours.

Postie just dropped off a pair of great Endura MTR shorts from Stu AKA "sqibjib". Thanks chap, they're perfect. The courier rang the bell and waited patiently while I collected up the dog and opened the door, and then took my photo as he handed me the parcel. I gave him a big smile. Stu, if they send you a photo of delivery do post it up ... it'll be hilarious.
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Have to say that I'd prefer Exposure weren't so OTT with their packaging. My Joysticks have come in those same fancy zipped boxes. Cardboard's perfectly OK.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I quite like the boxes TBH. I keep various Exposure odds and sods all in one place so I can find the USB charger when I need it etc etc. Plus it doesn't melt away like your average carboard if it gets a bit wet (not that I'm using it outdoors :wink:).

I'm sure if you asked them they'd send yours via rat and wrapped in newspaper Reg :grin:
Boab

Post by Boab »

Given how much it cost, I'd disappointed the box was gold plated or something! 😂
Hopefully heading out for this months BaM later, so will see how good it is. If I can figure out what all the modes are supposed to do...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:21 pm I'm sure if you asked them they'd send yours via rat and wrapped in newspaper Reg :grin:
:grin:

As Bo says, they really ought to be gold-plated at the price :wink: . Maybe I just need to think of a way of upcycling them - I know, padded sliced-bread holder for Tim's toast! Get three or four slices in there easy.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

directdrive

Post by directdrive »

yourguitarhero wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:29 am
yourguitarhero wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:01 am A pair of "Menora" 4 pot brakes from AliExpress. Essentially rebadged Clarks M4s which are totally unavailable anywhere - even asked Clarks themselves who have none.
These seem totally spot on and were £41 for the pair, delivered from China in a week. They're even right hand front/left hand rear.
Quick update on these:

The post mount adaptors that came with them were a bit rubbish and the hydraulic cables were a little short - had to re-use the one that was on my internally routed full sus' rear brake. However the cable with the brake fitted my XL hardtail nor problem.

In use they have been great. They stop the bike easily. Quite a progressive brake, not a very sharp bite (like Shimano) - a bit more like a Hope brake in feel.
Cheers for that, good to know. Do the levers seem robust enough? I know the calipers are Clarks M4 but it seems the levers are different.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Boab wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:40 am ... has just dropped off a Ryobi One+ cordless power washer. No more dirty bike.
watCH those bearings! oil seal are to keep oil in. nowt else out :o
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

directdrive wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:23 pm
yourguitarhero wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:29 am
Quick update on these:

Cheers for that, good to know. Do the levers seem robust enough? I know the calipers are Clarks M4 but it seems the levers are different.
They seem fine?
after I finished my ride, my main thought was "I didn't think about those brakes at all for the whole ride". So I guess "It just works"?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Not the postman but a trip over to Shona, Olive and Rich at Keep Peddling saw me come away with this fun bike

My first ever Surly
(The reflectors are off now it's home)
Boab

Post by Boab »

... and delivered a trowel, thanks Stu!

Then someone else dropped off an Exposure rear light, a helmet that feels like it doesn't weight anything and a waterproof cap to keep the rain / sweat out of my eyes.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Interesting helmet. Lazy me, got a linkypoo please?

Boab

Post by Boab »

RIP wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:45 pm Interesting helmet. Lazy me, got a linkypoo please?
It's a POC Ventral AIR SPIN*, in their AVIP (Attention Visibility Interaction Protection) colour way. Figured that my bike is black, my luggage is black, my clothing and shoes are black, I should probably do a few high viz highlights. So I've been running around with orange bar tape, orange socks and a recently purchased orange gilet, figured an orange helmet (and possibly orange long fingered gloves) should give me enough contrasting, moving, high viz parts. That and the new Exposure lights with their day bright settings, makes me slightly more comfortable that I'll be seen in the low winter sun; too many close passes last year.

It does have one downside though, it make you look like Toad from Mario Cart...

* I got the Ventral Air, rather than the Ventral, partly as it was £50 cheaper, but also cause it has more vents and my head doesn't half get hot when I'm out and about...
RIP

Post by RIP »

ta

UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Brooks cambium saddle and a magic keyboard
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:55 pm Not the postman but a trip over to Shona, Olive and Rich at Keep Peddling saw me come away with this fun bike

My first ever Surly
(The reflectors are off now it's home)
:-bd I quite fancy one of those although really my Krampus SS is just a bigger version. Looking forward to the pics and vids John :mrgreen:
Mart

Post by Mart »

New work boots - so looking forward to dry feet over the winter :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Neris Bigfun (expedition variant) in PVC.

Post man was useless, had to go to Wales and get it :roll:

Fell out, went swimming, got a bit trapped in some trees and lost a paddle. Also had to buy a helmet. Expensive weekend.

Massive grins :grin: :-bd :grin: :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

Props to Pedal Power, ordered on Saturday, no confirmation email, was expecting to have to chase on the phone today. Pleasantly surprised when the postman knocked on the door. Shame about the brown sidewalls 🤮, and the cost 🙈, but beggars, choosers, etc, etc...

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Boab wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:36 pm Shame about the brown sidewalls 🤮, and the cost 🙈, but beggars, choosers, etc, etc...
Good looking tread on those puppies and despite myself I'm starting to like to the look of brown sidewalls. They look great on johnclimber's new Surly and I think would add to the clunker aesthetic I'm going for on my Big Bro. Are they still called skinwalls or was it gumwalls? I saw someone on Global Cycling Network saying modern ones leak tubeless fluid like a sieve and are very prone to sidewall cuts.
I'm just going outside ...