The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

The post man's been ...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

... and he brought this with him. Full review once I've kipped in/under it ... it comes in at 362g with lines ;)

May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by gairym »

cool - what is it?

seriously though - what's it called? who makes it? how much does it weigh? how much is it? etc...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's a BearPaw Designs Lair in *coyote brown. With lines but no pegs/pole it weighs 362g, you can add just over 100g for a pole plus whatever your pegs of choice weigh (6 required). There's a hanging tab at the apex so you could do away with a pole if you had a handy branch, etc. John at BearPaw also makes various net tents too, I've already got a Pyra net that'll fit inside/under this. With the net you've pretty much got a full blown, double skin tent with sewn-in groundsheet for around 700g give or take and that includes pole and pegs. You can also buy it with an extended beak, a rear vent, partial or full midge netting or just about any custom variation you can dream up ... I think it's lovely :roll:

From ordering to despatch was around 3 days, which I reckon is fantastic when you consider it had to be made frst.

http://www.bearpawwd.com/

•Other colours are avaliable including 'crisp packet cuben' ;)
Ian

Post by Ian »

So its like a silnylon version of the Z-packs Hexamid, but three times the weight and 60% of the cost (and much shorter lead time)?
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

did you get hit for customs/duty/handling fee?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Looks great, much like Ian's in shape.

I really like that design, how does it cope with winds? Could you guy it up with the highest loop taken off an up-turned bike somehow to negate the pole and free-up internal space?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So its like a silnylon version of the Z-packs Hexamid, but three times the weight and 60% of the cost (and much shorter lead time)?
I suppose it is, they do come in cuben too ;)
Could you guy it up with the highest loop taken off an up-turned bike somehow to negate the pole and free-up internal space?
I'm not sure whether you'd gain enough height, minimum centre point height is about 50" ... that's what it's set up to in the pics. I'll let you know about the wind but it feels very sturdy at present. If it was a concern I'm sure John could add some extra guy points.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

If you turned your bike upside down....oh hang on your bikes are tiny ;)
Ian

Post by Ian »

Postman came here too today:

New shoes by ianbarrington, on Flickr
slackman99

Post by slackman99 »

700g, including inner, so about 100g more than a Cuben Terra Nova ;)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

700g, including inner, so about 100g more than a Cuben Terra Nova
Yes, and less than one sixth of the price!
gairym

Post by gairym »

the postman (woman actually) came this morning and delivered to me my shiny new meths stove (hand-crafted by s8tannorm) and silnylon tarp!!!

i can't believe how well made or light it is - thanks so much fella!

i'll post some pics of it in use when the weather improves a bit (it's -14 today and our water's frozen - was -18 last night) - can't wait.

cheers to both the nice post-lady (for braving the insane cold/snow) and s8tannorm for taking the time to make me a great little stove.

gairy.
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

The postman came, everyday this week

Ceramic bottom bracket, CNC Ultralight brakes. Front Mech, Selle Italia Saddle, Headset, Jagwire cables, Lightweight Tubes, Thomson Seat Clamp, Carbon Bottle Cages, Carbon handlebars, Bar Tape, Ultegra Cassette

So I have almost everything to start building the new toy, and then the Mavic Bib Shorts and XBionic jersey came so I have something to wear whilst riding it, roll on warmer weather!
gairym

Post by gairym »

the postwoman came again today and she brought:

- Garmin eTrex Legend HCx

- Kodak ZX3 video camera thingy (plus loads of bits like a helmet mount, tripod, spare battery, car charger, 32gb memory stick)

- Gore gloves

i just need to figure out how all this technomology gadgetry malarky works now!

fun, fun, fun.

gairy.
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

:D Hooray after being lost in a customs loop I have my new crisp packet home. put up hastily, and incorrectly as I havent cut the guy ropes yet, Super light weighed in at 229 g as delivered unopened. Has the front extension option.

Untitled by numplumz, on Flickr
The old git in the yellow socks
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

ooh now that looks good. Cuben fiber I presume? What is it, and what are you using for the vertical pole? Cheers!
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

Where is the courier!! :x
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Mark it's the Zpacks cuben fibre Bivy, I went for the extended front and the bathtub groundsheet. The pole is their own carbon 3 piece one which is silly light and packs up small but Ian says its also silly flexible in any wind.

http://zpacks.com/
The old git in the yellow socks
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Cheers, amazing how light this cuben fiber stuff is coming in at. It's also used in the base of the new bivy I received last week (MLD Soul). Fully waterproof/breathable eVENT bivy at 333grams. Mental.
Ian

Post by Ian »

My BB7's have kinda of died after a three years of good use. Decided to take the opportunity to save some weight and gone to Hope X2 Evo's. About half a pound in weight saved. Nice 8-)
Ian

Post by Ian »

The pole is their own carbon 3 piece one which is silly light and packs up small but Ian says its also silly flexible in any wind.
I concur with both of these comments. I made my own pole out of Easton tubing sourced from Quest Outfitters and shortened the length slightly and it seems much better for an extra 15g. Though I did see some even larger diameter pole on the bearpaw website that looks even better.
bigrobracing

Post by bigrobracing »

[quote="s8tannorm"]... and he brought this with him. Full review once I've kipped in/under it ... it comes in at 362g with lines ;)

Damn, I might NEED one of those, along with my other long list of needs, looks just like what I was talking about and looking for the other day!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Today I got a Vango Venom 400 sleeping bag (they had sold out of the 300), Alpkit Hunka bivi bag and a new back wheel (well that was yesterday actually and I had not planned on buying it but something has gone wrong with my other back wheel so it needs to go for repair :cry: )
Next pay day it's a down jacket and some dry sacs (thinking of alpkit dry sacs) , then I shall be going into the Pentlands ,which is not very far away, to do my first lightweight overnight bivi and check out how my stuff works :) .
Not bought a tarp yet as I am planning on using my Gelert solo flysheet without inner or poles. I have an idea of how to bicycle it using the bike and front wheel but will do a trial run before I go. Will let you know how it goes and post some piccies.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Recieved today, one Karrimor down jacket (£40 from field and trek), one terra nova comp 1 tarp (also £40 from field and trek). Yesterday I got 2 alpkit drybags and a Scottish silkworm bag liner. Now all I need to do is finish sewing (by hand :cry: ) my myog frame bag. Then it's off to the Pentlands to see how it all works out. :D . Can't wait.

The Gelert solo fly idea didn't quite work as I had envisioned hence the tarp purchase.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I'll fit it tomorrow and post another pic of it in very inert action. :roll: