The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PeterC

A man in a van....

Post by PeterC »

has been and just dropped off a ,

WTB Ranger 3in (mahoosive) in Light Fast rolling flavour for the front of the Longitude.

A pair of PD M530 for the Sutra, just for a change from the M520's I had been running previousley.

A GSI Bugaboo mug as reviewed by Stu. A wee bit cheaper than a ti mug with no weight penalty, but truthfully it was the bright orange colour that did it for me :grin: Must admit being a child of the 90's I was very tempted by the bright purple version :lol:
And lastly some boring lube, just got to keep thing runnning smoothly in the apalling rain we have had through May.
benp1

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by benp1 »

Surly Big Dummy

I'm about to live the #cargobikelifestyle

It's massive, long and very wide, just about fits in the garage with all my stuff. So far I'm pleased, and the kids like it too!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice one Ben - any particular [regular?] uses in mind?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
benp1

Post by benp1 »

RIP wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:17 pm Nice one Ben - any particular [regular?] uses in mind?
Seeing if we can hold off from buying a second car. Third child on the way so life about to become more hectic, helpful to have another form of transport around that I can take a child on comfortably, and with stuff. Plus for local stuff a bike makes complete sense, I can get straight to the front door of shops etc without having to worry about parking. I use a bike for everything locally already, but I'm usually solo

Managed a supermarket trolley full of stuff (the shallower one, not the big one) plus my daughter on the bike on Saturday, worked fine, though heavy! Big one would be fine but not sure how daughter would fit on...

Might have to drop the gearing a tad, might also consider electrifying it one day. But for now it's a fun way of riding around with someone in tow. We'll see how it works out in the long run. The main problem is how big it is! Takes up so much room in the garage, need a serious rethink about layout

New bikes are so exciting! I've just sold my El Mariachi so I was briefly up to 5, now back to 4 - Folding, MTB, Road/Commuter, Cargo
RIP

Post by RIP »

Top stuff Ben, you won't regret it it all I reckon. "I can get straight to the front door of shops etc without having to worry about parking" - absolutely. In my case with my Brompton, it's "straight through the door... and carry on into it with the bike over my shoulder" :smile: . The whole "I'm just driving round the corner to the shop to buy some milk" stupidity is soooooo last century.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

benp1

Post by benp1 »

Actually you're right. The Brompton is a fantastic load lugger. Bag on the front, carradice bag on the seat post, child in front on an IT chair and a rucksack if required.

Kids are now too big to fit in front of me now though, and too heavy for the three little gears

Everyone should have a Brompton in their collection
Last edited by benp1 on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Ben, you are going to love the dummy, although it looks huge it’s actually quite nimble. I did my Jogle on mine :-bd
I ran mine with a rohloff, hub gears are idea on a cargo bike, especially with kids on the back. Being in the wrong gear following an unplanned stop can be a challenge when carrying all the shopping plus offspring. For the older kids fitting a stoker bar is a good idea, it gives them much more confidence and makes the whole bicycle more stable. Another great accessory are the plug in running boards, I had a set, they plug into the horizontal tubes and keep little feet happy, they also help when supporting silly loads.
You will also want an assortment of straps etc fit when you come across random tables etc which need strapping on the back.

Plenty of ideas here
https://www.xtracycle.com/product-category/components/

One expensive but vital addition is a double legged centre stand, if the children are small enough to need strapping into seats a stable platform makes life a lot easier and safer.

As you might be able to tell I miss mine a lot, it’s a real life changer. We were car free for a few years and it delivered two (occasionally three!) kids to school, did all the shopping runs quicker and tess stressfully than a car, towed other bicycles, collected three full sized hay bales, a fire place, logs, coal and was generally the most useful and fun bike I’ve ever owned. Mine lived in our hall, when I finally build my man shed I want a bigfat dummy running 29” wheels.

If you want any dummy life advice just ask.

We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Thanks Steve, really handy advice

Your steering stabiliser looks interesting. Was it helpful to stop steering flop when loading the bike? If it was good which one is it? The velo orange one?
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I think it was VO, very useful especially if you use a side stand. Makes loading up easier :-bd

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

And delivered a shiny KMC 11 speed chain, a pair of ceramic bearings for my XD freehub, brake pads and a supernova light mount.

The Fargo is getting some post Spain TLC. The light mount fits in a gopro fitting on my Quadlock out front mount. I’m not going to need my front bag for the summer so this will tidy up the bars and drop some weight off the steering :-bd

benp1

Post by benp1 »

A cascade wild folding table

An exped lightning 60 rucksack

Both in prep for some wild camping this summer with my son. He's not been before
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

I’m not even sure what I’ve had delivered anymore ...

I think this is all new since I last posted here, it’s all just a blur now.

USE Ti Seatpost unused for £40
Jones H Bars
Rockshox Rebas

Sonder Camino AL frame set
Love Mud Bomber bars
Lizard Skin bar tape
WTB KOM i21 wheels, XT hub up front, Hope on the back. (Partial trade for some old kit)
WTB Nanos 700x40c
Schwalbe Marathon Supremes 700x32c
Wolf tooth road link
Sunrace 11sp 11-40 cassette
Superstar Components 38th Oval chain ring, and a 36th chainring with a bunch of spare bolts
DMR vault Magnesium pedals
Superstar Garmin headtube mount
Airshot
Tubeless set up stuff
Lezyne Tubeless repair thing
Probably some stuff I’ve forgot about

Pro Bike Tools torque wrench set

Alpkit Koala / exo rail hopefully arriving today

But in general, cycling is proving to save money over the train.......possibly.....probably not...
jay91

Post by jay91 »

The post lady dropped off
Revelate harness from the classifieds
Cheers Ian

Also a tick card And a midge head net
Trying to ride bikes.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Somewhat OT but I've been doing some bike work for one of MrsPB's riding buddies who owns a garden centre. When delivering it this morning, not only was I paid in full but also gifted an apricot tree which is now planted between one of our fig trees and the quince tree that we have yet to find a use for the fruit. The almond trees are looking good to break the record 300kg crop from 2 years ago, just need a bit of rain to fatten them up a bit.
robsmuddygloves

Post by robsmuddygloves »

I was given a bottle of quince gin last year that had been made by a neighbour, it was delicious. Might be a way to use up the fruit.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Out here in Hungary they make quince jam, might be worth a try?
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

PeterC wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:50 am Out here in Hungary they make quince jam, might be worth a try?
Called membrillo in Spain, and eaten with Manchego. Mmmmmm...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

These grips (both) just ooze class (as opposed to classy grips). Dont think I've ever bought lock on grips -and have been throigh a fair few decent lockons - that were left and right specific as well as with their own lock rings (as opposed to just gwneric lock rings that fit the left and right)...

Only question is, which do I introduce to Stan (the Sonder) first. He's green! :???:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Madison Dte softshell shorts arrived. Very impressed at first glance although I am somewhat bothered that Madison think a 32" waist is large, I'd have said medium myself. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

i have seen some where 30 is classed as extra small.
Some goodies from the man himself at bearbones towers

Carbon pole set - they appear to weight nothing in the hand
Another mug insulating kit
WRT T-shirt so I can pretend i was vaguely exciting enough to attend
RIP

Post by RIP »

Slightly OT sorry, but 1955 edition of George Borrow's 'Wild Wales' - the one with 100 b/w photos of Wales. Then again, not OT for a certain type of BBB'er.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Slightly OT sorry, but 1955 edition of George Borrow's 'Wild Wales' - the one with 100 b/w photos of Wales. Then again, not OT for a certain type of BBB'er.
Did you look for a copy of 'I bought a mountain' Reg? Much better read than Mr Borrow's misguided drivel :wink:

Popped out to the bright lights of Newtown bright and breezy on the pretence of buying some drills but really, it was so I could get a bacon butty from Greggs before the stop serving them at 11.00. When I got home there was a certain something waiting for me - 'tis all new and (likely) never seen before. If it's dry tomorrow I'll get some pics and scribble a few words.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well I'd better get on the case with Bought A Mountain next then :wink: .
Last edited by RIP on Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well I'd better get on the case with Bought A Mountain next then :wink: .
Don't feel obliged or obligated .... just that Mr Borrow's opinion of Wales appears to be that of a spoilt, whiny tourist whos distain for the population is only tempered when on occasion he finds something familiar but don't let that put you off, I'm sure your copy has nice pictures :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:46 am
When I got home there was a certain something waiting for me - 'tis all new and (likely) never seen before. If it's dry tomorrow I'll get some pics and scribble a few words.
Ooo how exciting :-bd