The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

faustus

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by faustus »

Verena wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:15 pm
faustus wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:58 pm 2nd hand Snugpak Stasha tarp arrived today, look forward to playing round with it in due course...
I've got one of those :-bd
Any good?
Verena

Post by Verena »

faustus wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:19 pm
faustus wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:58 pm 2nd hand Snugpak Stasha tarp arrived today, look forward to playing round with it in due course...
Any good?
Well you see, this is where I do everything wrong, and much of this forum passes me by :wink:

I bought a tarp because I needed one (went for snugpack because I generally rate their stuff), I use it, I think it's great because it's the only one I have, so nothing to compare it with.

Same for my bivvy bag, my sleeping bag, pretty much my bike and much of all my stuff...
faustus

Post by faustus »

Verena wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:28 pm
faustus wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:19 pm
Any good?
Well you see, this is where I do everything wrong, and much of this forum passes me by :wink:

I bought a tarp because I needed one (went for snugpack because I generally rate their stuff), I use it, I think it's great because it's the only one I have, so nothing to compare it with.

Same for my bivvy bag, my sleeping bag, pretty much my bike and much of all my stuff...
Well i'm not far off this either to be fair, and nothing wrong with that! I don't do enough camping out to warrant being too involved about camping gear and the like, and once i've chosen an item i'm fairly good at just sticking with it and making the most of it. Less so with bikes because there's more scope to fiddle.

I rate Snugpak too, seem to perform well and are reasonably priced, but not super light but that's fine. As long as the tarp is water proof then it should be good! :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Dropped off a mudguard for the Solaris. Hoping that means the weather will be nice!

I've taken my old Zefal one off. It was fine for mincing around but on quick rough terrain in my new home turf it would bounce off the rear wheel. The sound was bloody annoying and now I'm somewhere with better riding, that sounds is going to annoy me too much :lol:
Boab

Post by Boab »

Woohoo!!! Just in time for all the new slop...

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

50cm of silicone on tubing, for insulating ti pot handles. 50cm was 99p, 1m was £2.79. strange pricing, both with free postage.

(Note to self) or others 3mm is a common size for wire handles, Internal bore size 3mm, Pay attention to outer dia (7mm) or wall thickness (2mm), 2mm is a bit too chunky. about 1mm will be better & easier to fit.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Verena

Post by Verena »

Not the postman, but an agency team member on her last day as a "thank you" (how nice is that) (I had bought us Friday Llanfaes dairy ice cream treats as a thank you beforehand), one of those aeropress things, and some posh coffee.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

My neighbour just dropped off my new Bearbones carbon pole from Stu, and an Alpkit Fuel Pod from Ton.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:17 am Not the postman, but an agency team member on her last day as a "thank you" (how nice is that) (I had bought us Friday Llanfaes dairy ice cream treats as a thank you beforehand), one of those aeropress things, and some posh coffee.
great, I hope you don't get half frozen with your winter Al fresco coffee stops!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

ledburner wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:11 pm 50cm of silicone on tubing, for insulating ti pot handles. 50cm was 99p, 1m was £2.79. strange pricing, both with free postage.

(Note to self) or others 3mm is a common size for wire handles, Internal bore size 3mm, Pay attention to outer dia (7mm) or wall thickness (2mm), 2mm is a bit too chunky. about 1mm will be better & easier to fit.
Good idea, I've been wondering about that problem, had my fingers burnt (literally) a few times.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:39 am
ledburner wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:11 pm 50cm of silicone on tubing, for insulating ti pot handles. 50cm was 99p, 1m was £2.79. strange pricing, both with free postage.

Good idea, I've been wondering about that problem, had my fingers burnt (literally) a few times.
Get the thin stuff, else it's a bugger to fit. look for food grade silicon, clear, 'vacuum hose' seems to be a lot thicker walled. :wink:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

£15.99 from Amazon, blue tooth tiny speaker.
Really load and sounds brilliant too.
Not lightweight considering it's tiny size though.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

It arrived and - aside from the Made in China sticker which I've appropriately removed - it's a thing of beauty. Besides, I'm sure it wasn't layered by one of the rapist and/or ellectrcuting bar-steward soldiers

Whacked it on the scales and in L it's coming in at 1190g includng the 23g seatpin and other nylon protection.

Some pics..

May Allah allow it to last me a long long time... With lots of smiles and miles InshaAllah (God Willing).
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

...and while I assumed he was bringing me a new pair of pedals and some gloves when I got the delivery notification, he actually brought me some kitchen door samples, which about sums up life at the moment :| :roll:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Nice frame Shaf, is it the angle of the photos or is it missing a rear derailleur hanger?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

pistonbroke wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:50 pm Nice frame Shaf, is it the angle of the photos or is it missing a rear derailleur hanger?
That why it was a bargain?

it now a single speed... or get a Rohly!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

A combination ladder. I never knew there were such things but it looks like the tool for the job 🙄

And a new watchstrap. Whoopdedoo 2🤣
redefined_cycles

pistonbroke wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:50 pm Nice frame Shaf, is it the angle of the photos or is it missing a rear derailleur hanger?
Thanks Duncan.

Oh shucks. Yes, I thought the back end looked too neat. Waited well over a month for this. I wonder if the hanger is in the box or coming separately. Thanks for spotting and I'll email em tomorrow :smile:
redefined_cycles

ledburner wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:57 pm
That why it was a bargain?

it now a single speed... or get a Rohly!
:grin: Luke told me how much a modern day Rohly is. Worth same as the frame (almost) so probably not for me...
Jblewi

Post by Jblewi »

stevo.jpeg
stevo.jpeg (100.47 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
New T-shirts arrived all the way in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada! Modelled here by mechanic Steve getting ready for another days work!
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Some Time pedals, I only wanted a set of cleats to go with the shoes I bought from the classifieds here. I had the choice of buying cleats for £18 or a new set of pedals and cleats for £37
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Jblewi wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:56 am stevo.jpeg

New T-shirts arrived all the way in Sault lol s Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada! Modelled here by mechanic Steve getting ready for another days work!
Brilliant! :-bd
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
redefined_cycles

Nice frame Shaf, is it the angle of the photos or is it missing a rear derailleur hanger?
Sorted... I dug a little and turns out they also included a DT thru axle aswell as 2 hangers. Looks like they're testing might have concluded this area to be a weak point as they interface for the hanger to go on is screwless.

Very clever (seemingly) and wonder if it's their design or taken from another manufacturers...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

....rushing trying to get his round done before the rain I assume - he was early today.

Brought me some new pedals - OneUp Composites. I thought about splashing out on some good aluminium ones, but weighing it all up, it didn't seem worth it. The plastic ones are much cheaper for the same design, lighter, don't get the anodising scraped off them, and are, in my experience, just as durable - it's not the body that fails. I know it's more plastic, but in the grand scheme of things, a pair of pedals that get used for 5-10 years is not the root of the world's plastic problems. That's my thinking anyway - you may or may not agree.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A big new telly.

Vaguely bike related as the old one will be set up in our "gym" for Zwift and yoga etc