The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by TheBrownDog »

In expectation of a return to the office in the next month, and therefore back to commuting into London once or twice a week, a big white van has brought me a few bits for my Brompton including a new Brompton saddle (surprisingly comfy in work clothes), some cheap grips, a Sturmey Archer 3-speed trigger shifter and, after much deliberation, a new front wheel.
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

TheBrownDog wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:25 am a Sturmey Archer 3-speed trigger shifter
Is that an "original" one then or what? The plastic SRAM shifters they use now are rubbish aren't they. My 1999 Brom has the superb Sturmey shifter that it was built with. It's lightning fast. The feel of the SRAM ones is horrible IMO.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

RIP wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:53 am
TheBrownDog wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:25 am a Sturmey Archer 3-speed trigger shifter
Is that an "original" one then or what? The plastic SRAM shifters they use now are rubbish aren't they. My 1999 Brom has the superb Sturmey shifter that it was built with. It's lightning fast. The feel of the SRAM ones is horrible IMO.
Mate it's a cheap plastic thing and I wish I'd plumped for the original. What a piece of shitey-ness it is. I've just been wrestling with it. It is so chunky and the throw on the levers so long it fouls the brake lever, so I've had to mount it on the down section of my M-type handlebars. Thankfully I have hands like t-bones so I can reach it easily enough, but it's not the elegant solution I was looking for.

The old rabbit ears one that was on my bike was so just worn out and very doddery, and it made flipping it over to change a tyre etc a real pain.

Are you running this puppy? I wonder if I could put it under the bars and just get used to changing gears backwards. There's a nice looking thumbie too.

I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yah, this is the fellow. 21 years old. The rabbit's ears ones are indeed rabbit poo. Presumably at their age mine were proper Nottingham ones (only just - lot of dodginess around the closure a year later: https://www.bikebiz.com/insolvent-sturm ... er-closes/)? My shifter's probably worth more than the rest of the blasted bike now :smile: .

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

TheBrownDog wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:46 pm I wonder if I could put it under the bars and just get used to changing gears backwards.
Give it a whirl and show us the pics :-bd

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

TheBrownDog wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:46 pm I wonder if I could put it under the bars and just get used to changing gears backwards.
If you put it underneath but on the wrong side the action will be correct but just the other hand?

People who used to put the engines in their off-road racers in the back ended up with the gear stick working the wrong way which was interesting to get used to :???: Added bonus that if at full revs you changed gear and changed down instead of up by mistake it did the engine no good at all when it over-reved! At least a bike has a freewheel.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

.. with "Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder" by a certain David Barter Esquire. Slotted into the pile at #2 just underneath the "History of the Cromford and High Peak Railway" which is allocated next.

Robster

Post by Robster »

RIP wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:27 pm just underneath the "History of the Cromford and High Peak Railway" which is allocated next.
There's an interesting Facebook group "The Lost Cromford and High Peak Railway" that has some great photos to enjoy!

Cheers Rob
RIP

Post by RIP »

ta! I'll have a nosey later..

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Do I post it in this thread or cheery Friday... You wait for one item of post, then three turn at once like Corporation buses! :-bd

... So GregMay (stem)It s shame the
socially d-i-s-t-a-n-c-e-d eco-friendly local collection route didn't take place.

ScotRoutes Thanks for (Dvds) it be an Anquets roadshow!
Last but not least, cheers Landslide(mag) for when I'm doing a power rest d recovery...
Thanks guys,
Attachments
IMG_05032021_151100_(600_x_800_pixel).jpg
IMG_05032021_151100_(600_x_800_pixel).jpg (102.22 KiB) Viewed 2103 times
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

RIP wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:27 pm .. with "Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder" by a certain David Barter Esquire. Slotted into the pile at #2 just underneath the "History of the Cromford and High Peak Railway" which is allocated next.
Only my Mum called me David

But thanks Reg, I would have gladly sent you a copy for services rendered.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:39 pm
RIP wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:27 pm .. with "Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder" by a certain David Barter Esquire. Slotted into the pile at #2 just underneath the "History of the Cromford and High Peak Railway" which is allocated next.
Only my Mum called me David

But thanks Reg, I would have gladly sent you a copy for services rendered.
Snap, only my mum = Christopher :smile: . Oh, and Mrs P when she's annoyed with me (*)

Cheers Dave, eagerly awaiting the new tome :-bd

(*) ie. all the time

Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Alpkit toploader bar bag arrived today. Chilli as the black ones are out of stock, but as most of bp bags are chilli (or were once upon a time) that's fine.

Good size, leaves room for use of the tops and bar mounted lights. Be great for long day rides on the topstone.

Hoping I might get sooth for an audax or two later in the year (and can train up for it) as I heard the Turra Coo 300 might be on at the end of July, so it would come in useful for that sort of thing.

Just need my naughty knee to behave so I can get back to it properly and up the miles, a lot!
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Moder-dye wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:51 pm Alpkit toploader bar bag arrived today. Chilli as the black ones are out of stock, but as most of bp bags are chilli (or were once upon a time) that's fine.

Good size, leaves room for use of the tops and bar mounted lights. Be great for long day rides on the topstone.

Hoping I might get sooth for an audax or two later in the year (and can train up for it) as I heard the Turra Coo 300 might be on at the end of July, so it would come in useful for that sort of thing.

Just need my naughty knee to behave so I can get back to it properly and up the miles, a lot!
I held out ages waiting for those to come back into stock and finally bought a similar thing from Decathlon for £13. I'm sure it'll not be as good quality as the AK one but it does the job for now at least (I suspect it might not be ultra durable).
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

New hammock tarp from Dragon Hammocks
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

...slacking around my way. Waiting for at least a couple of things that are overdue. I know things are a bit erratic at the moment, but I've not noticed this much delay before. Nothing urgent, but hoping that's all it is :|
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:33 pm ...slacking around my way. Waiting for at least a couple of things that are overdue. I know things are a bit erratic at the moment, but I've not noticed this much delay before. Nothing urgent, but hoping that's all it is :|
Joe got your order in the post yesterday Dave. It was second class with RM so it might be a couple more days yet. Dinny fret. :-bd
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

A Fox Speedframe Pro lid to replace my battered Bell Super 2. Looks great, hopefully I'll never find out how good it is. :|
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Borderer wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:50 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:33 pm ...slacking around my way. Waiting for at least a couple of things that are overdue. I know things are a bit erratic at the moment, but I've not noticed this much delay before. Nothing urgent, but hoping that's all it is :|
Joe got your order in the post yesterday Dave. It was second class with RM so it might be a couple more days yet. Dinny fret. :-bd
No, I wasn't expecting that yet! I hoping if I have more things delivered it might flush the ones that are stuck out :lol: I'm sure that's how it works!
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:07 pm
Borderer wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:50 pm
No, I wasn't expecting that yet! I hoping if I have more things delivered it might flush the ones that are stuck out :lol: I'm sure that's how it works!
:lol: Sounds as plausible as anything else I have heard. :lol:
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

...and turned up today with a parcel from Rudy Projects as they were recommended on here in a glasses thread some time back. Got to the point where I need my prescription glasses when riding and not only to see the GPS! :sad: Normal glasses are rubbish for riding in with little or no wind protection. Last eye test confirmed this so have an insert to go in the riding glasses. Might stop hitting stuff now too!
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
trogladytes

Post by trogladytes »

AndreR wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:59 pm ...and turned up today with a parcel from Rudy Projects
Just had a look at their website and couldn't see a way to buy them, did you go through one of their dealers? Also couldn't find any of those :???:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:25 pm
Give it a whirl and show us the pics :-bd
Or a sturmey twist grip., as on my
mums ch- (no) sh-opper
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

A Bahco 396 blade to replace the blunt one in my Laplander.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Moder-dye wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:51 pm Alpkit toploader bar bag arrived today. Chilli as the black ones are out of stock, but as most of bp bags are chilli (or were once upon a time) that's fine.

What other bags had you considered please Moder-dye... I'd considered one of them to allow good spacing for my hands on the 42cm roadie bars. But to carry a sleeping bag so wayerproofing probably a alight issue with the toploading..