The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

summittoppler

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by summittoppler »

Picked this up up from a FB selling site which I saw as a bargain. Just gotta think what I'm attaching to it now....
Image20210225_130201 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20210225_152039 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Didn't realise the state of the chain till I put this pic up, that's a job for tomorrow then....
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
RIP

Post by RIP »

r@ck! Burn the witch! :grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

...... with a parcel from the British Museum. Containing an XT 11-34 9 speed cassette. Lovely little thing.

Was rummaging in the shed the other day and noticed my stash had three spare chains but only one cassette. Momentarily panicked and hit the.button on one more cassette and one more XT chain.They should see me out at my rate of wear on that bike.

Cassette still fairly easy to source but chain quite a bit harder.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:35 pm r@ck! Burn the witch! :grin:
I’ll get me coat.....

We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Throwing it back to me 90's! :lol:

Instagram:

YouTube:
RIP

Post by RIP »

BigdummySteve wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:53 pm
I’ll get me coat.....

Wot are you like HOTT! That's the equivalent of the Amazon van turning up completely empty apart from a tiny parcel resting in the middle of the cargo area :smile: .

RIP

Post by RIP »

summittoppler wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:57 pm ...... Just gotta think what I'm attaching it to now
....to the end of a chain, the other end of which is attached to a motor vehicle speeding off in the direction of 'away' :grin: .

Give over Reg, pisstake ye not, you've just bought a bloody 9 speed cassette yerself man! :lol:

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:09 pm
BigdummySteve wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:53 pm
I’ll get me coat.....

Wot are you like HOTT! That's the equivalent of the Amazon van turning up completely empty apart from a tiny parcel resting in the middle of the cargo area :smile: .
Yes but it’s 10g heavier than my PR seat pack, the load is carried lower and I have options when my lad comes with me, plus I get to experiment with a dropper post :-bd

Function not fashion, obviously you can take the piss hugely when it breaks in the dankest Welsh swamp.

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Let's have no fashion police here, its bikepacking! After a couple of sleepless nights with miles in-between, it doesn't matter how the bike looks as the rider would look like sh1te anyway :wink:

Instagram:

YouTube:
Verena

Post by Verena »

To be fair, this is all well confusing :roll: : I had a perfectly good what I called hybrid bike. I decided I wanted to do some what I called bike touring, so I bought a pannier rack and bag for that; then I discover something called bikepacking, which seemed to be defined by having fancy seat packs and other assorted bags, together with curly bars. So I think no way can I been anywhere near a bikepacking event with a pannier rack and straight handlebars, and buy myself a new bike. Now I see racks popping up everywhere, and of course the obligatory pi$$take of gravel bikes :lol:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Like most things in life, full circle springs to mind :wink:

Instagram:

YouTube:
RIP

Post by RIP »

full circle
Or in our case probably a full dodecagon with different length sides :smile: .

Verena, the rack v pack thing is a long-running good-natured(?) debate on here. Always good value for a laugh/wind-up.

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

summittoppler wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:25 am Like most things in life, full circle springs to mind :wink:
But like clothes, If you wore it the first time around at the height of it's fashion, you'll be too old to wear it when it comes around again.

So the question is..... have you racked before?
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Oh yes!

RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye, impressive that was Steve :-bd

"Waitrose delivery for a Mr O'Groats. Is there a Mr O'Groats here?" :lol:

I remember sitting in my favourite boozer near Mach during a WRT a few years back, quite a group of us had convened from various directions, and a somewhat lively 'debate' commenced along the lines of "all you lot with 'bikepacking luggage' are fashion victims, you've really been taken-in, ripped off etc". What was amusing was it was ONE new chap on that side of the debate with ALL the rest of us with our bikes perched outside with seatpacks on. Quite vehement he was. Talk about mouse in lion's den. Might have been a cleverly-executed wind-up of course, but a high risk one in the circumstances! Nice chap otherwise :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I remember sitting in my favourite boozer near Mach during a WRT a few years back, quite a group of us had convened from various directions, and a somewhat lively 'debate' commenced along the lines of "all you lot with 'bikepacking luggage' are fashion victims, you've really been taken-in, ripped off etc". What was amusing was it was ONE new chap on that side of the debate with ALL the rest of us with our bikes perched outside with seatpacks on. Quite vehement he was. Talk about mouse in lion's den. Might have been a cleverly-executed wind-up of course, but a high risk one in the circumstances! Nice chap otherwise :smile: .
On a similar note. The AA arrived one day with a broken Guzzi and rider. The nice AA man asked if we could take a look as he'd run out of ideas. It duly got pushed into the workshop and we told the AA man he was free to go. While it was being dealt with, the owner of said Guzzi walks uninvited into the workshop and surveys the situation. Aside from his V50, there were a number of bikes on ramps in preparation for the coming weekends racing. Mr Guzzi took a sweeping look before announcing, "oof fu*king jap crap all of it". He did reasonably well to emerge unscathed, although I recall a percentage of tw@t tax was levied on his bill.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:10 am To be fair, this is all well confusing :roll: : I had a perfectly good what I called hybrid bike. I decided I wanted to do some what I called bike touring, so I bought a pannier rack and bag for that; then I discover something called bikepacking, which seemed to be defined by having fancy seat packs and other assorted bags, together with curly bars. So I think no way can I been anywhere near a bikepacking event with a pannier rack and straight handlebars, and buy myself a new bike. Now I see racks popping up everywhere.
:grin: Wry smile. I do feel for you there Verena - gave me a good smile that tale. "Oh gawd, just tell me what I'm supposed to do" :smile: .

RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:00 am He did reasonably well to emerge unscathed, although I recall a percentage of tw@t tax was levied on his bill.
:-bd

Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:06 am
Verena wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:10 am To be fair, this is all well confusing :roll: : I had a perfectly good what I called hybrid bike. I decided I wanted to do some what I called bike touring, so I bought a pannier rack and bag for that; then I discover something called bikepacking, which seemed to be defined by having fancy seat packs and other assorted bags, together with curly bars. So I think no way can I been anywhere near a bikepacking event with a pannier rack and straight handlebars, and buy myself a new bike. Now I see racks popping up everywhere.
:grin: Wry smile. I do feel for you there Verena - gave me a good smile that tale. "Oh gawd, just tell me what I'm supposed to do" :smile: .
Especially when you admit to yourself that an uncomfortable amount of that question is about fashion or image more than function :oops:
Anyway, good thing I've not chucked owr away. Even my old 26" mountain bike appears to be bang on some trend :grin:
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

RIP wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:39 am
"Waitrose delivery for a Mr O'Groats. Is there a Mr O'Groats here?" :lol:
Quality :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

XT 9-speed chain, along with some hen's teeth and a Conti Light tube.

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Verena wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:10 am To be fair, this is all well confusing :roll: :
Strangely I find life even more confusing as I get older if I think about it, so I don’t :-bd
Think of it like my breakfast this morning, obviously you need your toast and proper salted butter, then you have options, you can opt for marmalade in which case your probably going to pair it with a nice cup of coffee. Alternatively I could go down the marmite route paired with a strong cup of Assam tea. Neither is wrong, just different options which compliment each other.

The rack option will be deployed for gentle trips with my lad, carrying two bags and other stuff to keep it civilised. The other option will be a Revelate vole seatpack which is only about 6ltr and my sleeping bag stuff into a small handlebar pouch.

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

If we’re sharing rack pictures

psling

Post by psling »

Scarily on topic I received a rack-bag this week. To go on the rack on one of my bikes. Verena will be pleased to know that it was ordered on-line from Germany on Sunday and was received here in the FoD on Wednesday :shock: :-bd

Edit: for bds... apparently it was National Toast Day earlier this week Steve :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

JohnClimber wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:51 am
summittoppler wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:25 am Like most things in life, full circle springs to mind :wink:
So the question is..... have you racked before?
A fair bit, yes!
Image1 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Instagram:

YouTube: