The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Verena

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Verena »

Some 2 mm paracord and new bungees in black and army green. Want to pimp my basha. As in hoping for more lines with less bulk, and replacing my brightly colour bungees from an Aldis bargain bucket with some more appropriate colours...

I accidentally bought too many bungees, so pm me if you'd like some.
RIP

Post by RIP »

You could link them all together and create a sort of mini-bungee-jump off the kitchen table or something?

But yeah, dunno why anyone would have shelter lines thicker than 2mm considering they'll take the strain of a London bus (alright 200kg then) or whatever the quote is. Anyone using 2mm for their hammock? Some of my tarp lines are a fairly ridiculous 0.5mm (40kg?) and work fine. I'm holding out for someone releasing a carbyne line.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm wondering why anyone uses bungees? Doesn't produce the most stable of set-ups generally. Another, seems like a good idea on paper type idea. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well there's that too. Have your eye out if you're not careful :wink: . (Sorry to heckle you Verena :smile: . Maybe you double them up for some other purpose?)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

benp1

Post by benp1 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:04 am I'm wondering why anyone uses bungees? Doesn't produce the most stable of set-ups generally. Another, seems like a good idea on paper type idea. :wink:
I'd sometimes use bungees on my bushcraft setup. Less wind in the woods, and if it's raining bungees let you throw up the tarp much quicker (i.e. around trees)

You can also use bungee (the thin version) to take the slack out of lines if you think they'll move. Just tie it off in parallel with the line, so the line is your max length but the bungee shortens it. Explained badly...!

But for bikepacking, have never used any, so far. Very useful in general though
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:57 am
But yeah, dunno why anyone would have shelter lines thicker than 2mm considering they'll take the strain of a London bus (alright 200kg then)
Indeed, on my February Dartmoor disaster the micro lines were strong enough, in fact the attachment panel ripped out before they failed.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

ou can also use bungee (the thin version) to take the slack out of lines if you think they'll move. Just tie it off in parallel with the line, so the line is your max length but the bungee shortens it. Explained badly...!
Here you go Ben.
https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... ppage.html
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

OK, that's explained slightly betterer :shock: :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:30 am
RIP wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:57 am
But yeah, dunno why anyone would have shelter lines thicker than 2mm considering they'll take the strain of a London bus (alright 200kg then)
Indeed, on my February Dartmoor disaster the micro lines were strong enough, in fact the attachment panel ripped out before they failed.
It's like straps as well - overengineered. I'm going to replace the straps on all my bags, luggage, packs with 2mm and lineloks when I get a spare moment :wink: .

Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:22 am Well there's that too. Have your eye out if you're not careful :wink: . (Sorry to heckle you Verena :smile: . Maybe you double them up for some other purpose?)
I generally have very little idea what I'm doing, don't worry :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:57 am Anyone using 2mm for their hammock?
I know somebody who'll be using 1.5mm for his hammock but he's lighter than most of us :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:34 am
ou can also use bungee (the thin version) to take the slack out of lines if you think they'll move. Just tie it off in parallel with the line, so the line is your max length but the bungee shortens it. Explained badly...!
Here you go Ben.
https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... ppage.html
I did that to all the lines on my Gatewood except the front one when I got it (after reading that article). I didn't hold out much hope but it works really well using 1.5mm lines and 2mm bungee doubled. Good tip Stu. :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

An alternative is to use a small prusik loop larks footed to the connection on the tarp / shelter. The prusik knot is on a longer line (i.e. the guy) that's pegged out. OCD folks could splice a fixed eye to peg thru or just a loop formed with an overhand knot.

You can tension these from inside the shelter (providing you can reach i.e. not obstructed by the inner). Lacks the "self-tensioning" of Stu's solution but is very simple, works in whatever zing-it / lash-it / incredibly thin UPWME (??) cord you're using and, thanks to the larks foot, is easy to put on / take off and swap between various shelters (or points on the shelter etc).
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

...and brought a large package from Point North fabrics.
Got a few things in mind with this lot but mainly a full frame bag and hoping to turn some old sailcloth into a rucksack. :-bd
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

shutuplegs wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:12 pm ...and brought a large package from Point North fabrics.
Got a few things in mind with this lot but mainly a full frame bag and hoping to turn some old sailcloth into a rucksack. :-bd
Good look. Let us know the result. :-bd
Tip# Add a bit of slack along ease packing.

My frame triangle is medium to small on a HT cube 29er. I made the frame bag a, perfect fit, That with edge panel stiffening made the fit to exact that I have to slacken straps to pack or unpackit. :???: :roll:
The velcro 'solo' loop back straps are secure though :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ledburner wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:25 am The post man should have been delivered this morning, but a got a txt message to say they only did a have arsed job trying to lose it! At least they still have a trace of where it is.... Thank you muppets..
This is what track & track made of it attached. . Fingers crossed it'll arrive tomorrow..
(Halifax is the neighbouring town about 7 miles away... . And for you down south still in the last century...)
At last package arrived. Thank postie.
I chose this type of pillow cos it seems more versatile.
Klymit Cush, It seems better X- pillow that replaced it. Packs small & fair low weight :-bd
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

ledburner wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:36 pm.
Good look Let us know the result. :-bd
Thanks for the tip, I guess it’s a balance between being too tight and stuff moving down and bulging out.
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

shutuplegs wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:17 pm
ledburner wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:36 pm.
Good look Let us know the result. :-bd
Thanks for the tip, I guess it’s a balance between being too tight and stuff moving down and bulging out.
Hi Shutuplegs. Again Good luck. (got it right this time).
If you do it the generic Alpkti way, with a, webbing ladder, it will be looser, irregardess of how many straps you add... So unzipping not a problem.
I add sewn in straps (like Apidura does) .
- Make a note of bosses, braze-on's and other fitting which get in the way or make rub points.
-Using a cardboard frame template will highlight these.
-Don't for get to add seam allowance when marking out, on wring (inside) of panels.
- I Used the widest sewing foot, set the needle left most(if adjustable as lever marked Left. Centre Right, and measure needle to right edge. Then alway lined up pieces against right edge.
-Measue twice cut once. Obviously
-use heavier duty thread 60's /80's and a nm90/100 needle.
-test sew on scrap. To get a, balance stitch. (The loops lock in the middle of fabric)
-Tack things in place with masking tape. Pins, add extra holes, Tape can be sewn through& peeled off later.
- Tape is also Good for marking exact positions on as well.

If you can't figure it out ask. We'll gladly share our experience. :-bd =)) (including, of how not to do it :lol:) ...

Take your time enjoy, and be proud.

Should this be added to MYOG thread?
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ledburner wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:53 pm
ledburner wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:25 am The post man should have been delivered this morning, but a got a txt message to say they only did a have arsed job trying to lose it! At least they still have a trace of where it is.... Thank you muppets..
This is what track & track made of it attached. . Fingers crossed it'll arrive tomorrow..
(Halifax is the neighbouring town about 7 miles away... . And for you down south still in the last century...)
Klymit Cush, It seems better X- pillow that replaced it. Packs small & fair low weight :-bd
They're good. I got one after Stu recommend them on here. Wrap it in a Buff and it makes a decent pillow.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Jurassic wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:21 pm
ledburner wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:53 pm
They're good. I got one after Stu recommend them on here. Wrap it in a Buff and it makes a decent pillow.
Thanks for the tip. Yes I've done that with a dry bag pillow in days gone by .. :-bd
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

An Alpkit Myti 650 mug/pot and some new merino socks, hoping the package from Speedsterstoves arrives today so I can try out the pot on tomorrow's exercise ride.
@philg1971 Instagram
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Quality T :-bd
Image20210116_121721 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

38T chainring.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

#GravelWanker t-shirt and some Maxxis tyres.