The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:52 am I wouldn't be able to help myself. Like putting your finger in a spinning grinder or having the urge to jump from a high building ... I'd have to lick the box :wink:
:o :???: :YMSICK:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just wipe it down with soapy water Verena. You'll be fine. Obviously don't lick it :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

...with a rather fine book about life in the Alaskan wilderness, to add to my lockdown stash. Books really are the great saviour for the next few weeks(?) when the three other alternatives are riding round the town, occasional shopping, and assisting the parents. Sorry, four....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
faustus

Post by faustus »

I wish books had been my lockdown saviour but I don't get time to do enough. I could spend many hours a day reading....what book is it Reg?
RIP

Post by RIP »

'tis One Man's Wilderness by Sam Keith / Richard Proenneke....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Spokes and nipples. For a wheelset I'll not likely be using for the next couple of months.
RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:19 pm Spokes and nipples.
Bike stuff? Best I can manage is a replacement air-inlet cap for my Fox Float today. Quite how that unscrewed itself and fell off I'm not sure. Unless someone nicked it, similar to that VW car badge craze a while back.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

tis One Man's Wilderness by Sam Keith / Richard Proenneke....
Hopefully it's new to you Reg. I picked it because to me it goes some way to explaining to myself why I do the things I do. You'll see what I mean.
May the bridges you burn light your way
psling

Post by psling »

RIP wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:14 pm 'tis One Man's Wilderness by Sam Keith / Richard Proenneke....
I can see a certain irony in that ^^ :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Very much appreciated Stu, thank you. I've moved it to the top of the pile :smile: .

RIP

Post by RIP »

psling wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:23 pm
RIP wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:14 pm 'tis One Man's Wilderness by Sam Keith / Richard Proenneke....
Not quite as wild as it was before he turned up :wink: .

Verena

Post by Verena »

Verena wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:31 pm ...and brought a parcel for my daughter, then sent a message saying ffs don't open it, cos the person who'd packed the item was diagnosed with covid shortly afterwards.
That's a new one on me, has anyone else had this?
Wow, that created a surprising amount of conversation for one inconspicuous grey (though apparently appetising to some :wink: ) parcel by the front door....

Dog's happy anyway - it will delay his inevitable humiliation and emasculation, even if for just a couple of days :lol:

He's a long haired German Shepherd called Bruce, and in the parcel is a new coat to keep at least some of the muck off him... my daughter tells me it is lilac with purple spots, because that was slightly cheaper than the more manly colour options :lol:

Poor thing.

Now don't go all PC on me now please... if you want to call him a Big Girls Blouse, do so :-bd
psling

Post by psling »

RIP wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:24 pm
psling wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:23 pm
Not quite as wild as it was before he turned up :wink: .
That too! I was thinking more along the lines of before they turned up, there being two authors! :grin:
An interesting book though I should imagine. I recently read a fictional book based on settlers in Alaska which was atmospheric and realistic on the harshness of life there a century ago.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
psling

Post by psling »

Verena wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:26 pm Now don't go all PC on me now please... if you want to call him a Big Girls Blouse, do so :-bd
A German Shepherd called Bruce? The only thing I'd want to call him is "good boy, nice boy..."
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:26 pm a surprising amount of conversation
Nah, you know all of us will eagerly seize on even the tiniest snippets of conversation and pursue them to their illogical conclusion :wink:

RIP

Post by RIP »

psling wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:32 pm A German Shepherd called Bruce? The only thing I'd want to call him is "good boy, nice boy..."
:lol:
That too! I was thinking more along the lines of before they turned up, there being two authors!
Ah sorry, to clarify: Richard was the geezer who was out there and wrote journals etc, Sam is writing the "tribute" book based on the those journals and photos...

jay91

Post by jay91 »

Grips, tent pegs and a co2 inflater :cool:
Trying to ride bikes.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

For Chris and Stu
Yukon Solo by Karal Dohnal may be of interest to you both. It's about one mans trip down the Yukon in a Open canoe. Took a couple of months if I remember correctly. I enjoyed it at the time but I did read it about 30 years ago. Some abandoned settlements passed and stories about the people that tried to settle there.
Also suitable for packrafting I assume :wink:

On another note about 40 years ago I read a book about a trader in the eastern Canadain widerness. Apparently in response to an advert In the Sunday Post (!) applied for and got a job with the Hudson bay company! Good stories, probably a bit dated now. Also involved canoeing. Wish I could remember a name or title.
Verena

Post by Verena »

psling wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:32 pm
A German Shepherd called Bruce? The only thing I'd want to call him is "good boy, nice boy..."
Nah, he has an impressive bark but he's just a big fluffy teddy bear really.....(remind you of anyone?!?) this is us on our lockdown Easter camping holiday in the garden - 4 nights I think I camped there :grin:

Image2021-01-08_01-12-44 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Oh, girl dog is called Dixie by the way, she doesn't get a coat as she's not such muck magnet....

Two rescue GSDs... something I have in common with Jo Biden
RIP

Post by RIP »

PeterC wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:23 pm
For Chris and Stu
Thank you for the info Peter.. will have a look...

burty

Post by burty »

A rather nice but expensive hope cranks for the single speed ,
Hopefully get a testing this weekend :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

psling wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:32 pm
Verena wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:26 pm Now don't go all PC on me now please... if you want to call him a Big Girls Blouse, do so :-bd
You've seen Fnding Nemo?
the vegatarian shark.. :ugeek: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oops, I've spoilt the best bit for you....
Spoiler alert!
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Top tube bag from Dave. Thanks Dave
FLV

Post by FLV »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:49 pm Top tube bag from Dave. Thanks Dave
Glad it's ok mate :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

And delivered a VAT invoice for a delivery from the States last month :cry: Not sure why as the shipment was well under the old £135 limit and ordered and delivered before the new rules came into force.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry