The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ssnowman

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by ssnowman »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:50 pm Madison 3/4 length waterproof trews.

Not sure about the fit. Waist is fine, but could be higher. Length is fine. Thighs are on the svelte side. That's all in a Medium. I suspect the thighs on the Large would be better but then the fit might be baggy on the waist.

Need to have a think...
Not sure about comparison, but I have the Madison Zenith zip off trousers which I usually wear as a 3/4 length. I am 34" waist and have the large, which is really too big for me and they are very baggy on the thighs. They are more suited to a 36-38" waist. I keep thinking I should get the medium, but they show no sign of wearing out.
May satan walk with you
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ssnowman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:03 pm
Not sure about comparison, but I have the Madison Zenith zip off trousers which I usually wear as a 3/4 length. I am 34" waist and have the large, which is really too big for me and they are very baggy on the thighs. They are more suited to a 36-38" waist. I keep thinking I should get the medium, but they show no sign of wearing out.
Yeah, I have those in a Medium and they're fine. These 3/4s are definitely a "race" fit. Should work fine for the #gradventourer rather than the MTB I guess.

Oh, 31-32" waist.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I went for a large and they fit my 34" waist nicely, I do find them quite warm and sweaty though, and they take an age to dry.

Postie brought me some goodies today, some new poles and a bit of Permavent from Stu, plus a dcf pole bag and Liteskin InReach pouch to attach to a stem bag, both from Treadlite Gear, oh and some Lineloc 3's to retro fit a couple of tarps with.

ImageIMG_1234 by Shewie, on Flickr
RIP

Post by RIP »

Where'd ya get your LL3's from? Looked at some last week but went with nanolight (sigh) alternatives which attach with cord loops instead of webbing.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Am I misreading things or are those poles about 60cm long? Super duper low profile tarp for hurricane use?! :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

70's Reg*

*that's length, not a reason to get misty eyed.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:25 pm *that's length, not a reason to get misty eyed
:lol: Instant Whip, Fray Bentos, silly collars, Blondie, Wheeltappers & Shunters Social Club.... :YMDAYDREAM: :YMDAYDREAM: .

But as I say, that's a supremely stealthy and storm-proof height for a tarp :wink: .

Shewie

Post by Shewie »

RIP wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:14 pm Where'd ya get your LL3's from? Looked at some last week but went with nanolight (sigh) alternatives which attach with cord loops instead of webbing.
Here you go sir ...

https://www.treadlitegear.co.uk/10-x-it ... t-82-p.asp
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ah thanks chap. Bookmarked in case my tiddlers don't live up to expectations.

Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Hope RX4 Calipers for my GRX Gravel Bike :)

Image20201019_141819 by alexberry1, on Flickr

Image20201019_141809 by alexberry1, on Flickr
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

A slightly minty smelling package from the Borders containing a number of small but strangely exciting bits and bobs :-bd
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:55 pm A slightly minty smelling package from the Borders containing a number of small but strangely exciting bits and bobs :-bd
Great news :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:54 pm Hope RX4 Calipers for my GRX Gravel Bike :)

Image20201019_141819 by alexberry1, on Flickr

Image20201019_141809 by alexberry1, on Flickr
You’ll enjoy those, I have a pair on my Fargo, a vast improvement on the sram calipers.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
psling

Post by psling »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:55 pm A slightly minty smelling package from the Borders containing a number of small but strangely exciting bits and bobs :-bd
Likewise :-bd

And that minty smell is perhaps something that should be added to all packages from wherever; most pleasing :grin:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh look, someone else with a curious parcel from Scotland!

Wonder what's in it. Let's have a look......

RIP

Post by RIP »

Blimey! Yep, as mentioned above, that's like being hit in the face with a gust of 10,000 extra strong mints! Fabulous! Never smelled anything so minty.

The deod is interesting, as it's alumininimumumiumimum-free and claims to last up to six days. Well I think we'll be testing that. Normally I use alu-free at home, except for when I bivvy for several days and use an alu one, which basically lasts ages without having to wash and re-apply (Whatdyer mean don't bother at all? Not much point having that minty-fresh breath (TING!) if you're going to smell like a badger everywhere else is there?)

And what are you lot on about needing a brush handle for?! Plenty long enough. In fact I'm going to saw that stub off - a couple of grammes right there.

I'm going to go and test a toothpaste tablet right now....

Last edited by RIP on Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Good grief, yes indeedy, they are powerful aren't they. Maybe I'll try half a one next time.

Nice one Joe!

Borderer

Post by Borderer »

RIP wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:59 pm Good grief, yes indeedy, they are powerful aren't they. Maybe I'll try half a one next time.

Nice one Joe!
That made him laugh. Thanks Reg.

Yeah they say six days for the deodorant on their blurb but I cut that down to three on our description as that's getting to the limit of it in our experience. Be interested to hear the results of your field test.

Glad everyone likes the minty aroma. That's what my living room smells like now. I shall be sad if he ever sells them all as it is most pleasant.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

My alloy twigs arrived. What a lovely message. Thanks Joe...

In case he'd like to calibrate scales... Mine weighed 9g each. Can go and put em on the 0.1 scale if anyone would like to count how many points of a gram they might save...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Brilliant Reg!
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:43 pm In case he'd like to calibrate scales... Mine weighed 9g each. Can go and put em on the 0.1 scale if anyone would like to count how many points of a gram they might save...
My 6 weighed 67g on my scale, so close to the 11g spec. Turns out 6 of my old pegs are 7g lighter... but they're not red and shiny (or as strong).
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:45 am Brilliant Reg!
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:43 pm In case he'd like to calibrate scales... Mine weighed 9g each. Can go and put em on the 0.1 scale if anyone would like to count how many points of a gram they might save...
My 6 weighed 67g on my scale, so close to the 11g spec. Turns out 6 of my old pegs are 7g lighter... but they're not red and shiny (or as strong).
Lol... My scales must need chucking away. Either way, if Bridget had suggested they were MSR I'd not have realised any difference. Look quality... Well done Joe/B
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:43 pm My alloy twigs arrived. What a lovely message.
Better than gummy bears? :lol:

Thanks guys. Good to hear that my scales are about right. I hate it when places understate weights. I think you will like these pegs - let me know how you get on with them. You obvs need to use the guyline to pull them out and they can be easy to lose track of once the guyline is away as they don't have a string on the end to alert you to where they are. So a careful routine during packdown is required, but that becomes habit very quickly. As I said in the ad they don't twist around which is a real factor in not coming unhooked in the middle of a storm and the neat profile makes for very compact packing.

Yes a lot cheaper than the MSR ones that they are 'remarkably similar' to :lol:
Last edited by Borderer on Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Another Joe delivery here. Nice stuff, nice note, and an all-pervading aroma of mint! :grin:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Birthday week, for once I've asked for cycling gear rather than wait for the normal tat to arrive.

All new pair of D2A pedals from Pembree

A new company which you maybe haven't heard of yet https://pembree.com/

More to post on Friday :-bd
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Not quite the postman but a van was acquired. Time to gut it and convert it. Anyone put a bike garage in the back of a SWB van and have advice on bed layout?