The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

User avatar
sean_iow
Posts: 2813
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:08 pm
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by sean_iow » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:31 pm

A Rockshox topcap tool and a bottomless token, hopefully to stiffen up the fork at the bottom of it's travel and reduce the number of OTBs.

Also, some Madison Roadrace 3/4 waterproof shorts, I have a pair already and they're great, but as they have now been reduced to half price (£34) I thought I should get another pair to have in stock for when my current ones are worn out.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger

User avatar
K1100T
Posts: 650
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 am
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Contact:

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by K1100T » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:39 pm

sean_iow wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:31 pm
Also, some Madison Roadrace 3/4 waterproof shorts, I have a pair already and they're great, but as they have now been reduced to half price (£34) I thought I should get another pair to have in stock for when my current ones are worn out.
Link...?
I like beer. 🍻

User avatar
sean_iow
Posts: 2813
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:08 pm
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by sean_iow » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:54 pm

K1100T wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:39 pm
Link...?
https://www.madison.cc/shop/roadrace-ap ... 55/CL95505

Turns out I've miss-sold them, they're £34.99 so 99p more. They're quite warm but I prefer to be warmer and a bit sweaty than cold... I've done my share of being cold :lol: The elasticated bottom keeps the wind out and stops the rain/road-spray being driven up the leg.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger

User avatar
K1100T
Posts: 650
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 am
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Contact:

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by K1100T » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:56 pm

sean_iow wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:54 pm
K1100T wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:39 pm
Link...?
https://www.madison.cc/shop/roadrace-ap ... 55/CL95505

Turns out I've miss-sold them, they're £34.99 so 99p more. They're quite warm but I prefer to be warmer and a bit sweaty than cold... I've done my share of being cold :lol: The elasticated bottom keeps the wind out and stops the rain/road-spray being driven up the leg.
Found them eventually, loads of other stuff in the clearance section too. This could be expensive... 🤣
I like beer. 🍻

User avatar
sean_iow
Posts: 2813
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:08 pm
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by sean_iow » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:00 pm

K1100T wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:56 pm
Found them eventually, loads of other stuff in the clearance section too. This could be expensive... 🤣
Weirdly they don't seem to come up with a search? I ended up buying more socks as well :grin: Rapid free delivery from Freewheel as well plus my LBS get a small cut, so a win win win :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger

User avatar
K1100T
Posts: 650
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 am
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Contact:

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by K1100T » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:05 pm

sean_iow wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:00 pm
K1100T wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:56 pm
Found them eventually, loads of other stuff in the clearance section too. This could be expensive... 🤣
Weirdly they don't seem to come up with a search? I ended up buying more socks as well :grin: Rapid free delivery from Freewheel as well plus my LBS get a small cut, so a win win win :-bd
Looks like it depends which search box you search from! Which is why I asked for a link, as I couldn't find them either! 🤷
I like beer. 🍻

User avatar
JohnClimber
Posts: 2825
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by JohnClimber » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:56 pm

FOC replacement washers for the all new Thudbuster ST seat post I got last month from Shona of Keep Peddling.

Especially when you look at how the original ones had failed so quickly.

Image

I just hope it's a batch issue and the new ones will last.

Oh and Shona also sent me a Thud Buster neoprene cover for it free of charge too.

Support the shops that support us :-bd

https://www.keeppedalling.co.uk/

AndyTheBikeGuy
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:04 pm

...and delivered a Lanshan Pro 1 which I dutifully set up in the garden and seam sealed...

...I think I've found that task in life that I just can't do well, I don't think it's a patience thing or even a steadiness thing, I can rebuild hubs and be delicate when required. I just could not do a clean job on the seam sealing. I went for a more is better approach though so while it may look messy, it will at least be sealed.
Lake district loafer

User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 19034
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:27 am

I went for a more is better approach though so while it may look messy, it will at least be sealed.
Err no. When it comes to seam sealing, less is more as more can pull away from the fabric. A very thin (often diluted) layer is usually much better.
#corporate shill for hire

AndyTheBikeGuy
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:41 pm

Err no. When it comes to seam sealing, less is more as more can pull away from the fabric. A very thin (often diluted) layer is usually much better.
Thanks for that, having looked at it dried, it looks much better than expected and there doesn’t seem to be an issue with it when you pull the seams taut. Is there a knack to seam sealing? I used the provided Curved syringe which worked on and off. I used the Gear Aid sil stuff, what sort of dilution ratio would you use?

Cheers,

Andy
Lake district loafer

User avatar
K1100T
Posts: 650
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 am
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Contact:

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by K1100T » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:39 pm

AndyTheBikeGuy wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:04 pm
...and delivered a Lanshan Pro 1 which I dutifully set up in the garden and seam sealed...
That's a job I still have to do. What brand do people recommend for silnylon...?
I like beer. 🍻

User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 19034
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:21 pm

That's a job I still have to do. What brand do people recommend for silnylon...?
SilNet
Thanks for that, having looked at it dried, it looks much better than expected and there doesn’t seem to be an issue with it when you pull the seams taut. Is there a knack to seam sealing? I used the provided Curved syringe which worked on and off. I used the Gear Aid sil stuff, what sort of dilution ratio would you use?
I use a little brush. Dilution varies but if it's nice and thin, you can push it into the stitch holes rather than it just sit on top.
#corporate shill for hire

User avatar
K1100T
Posts: 650
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 am
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Contact:

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by K1100T » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:29 pm

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:21 pm
That's a job I still have to do. What brand do people recommend for silnylon...?
SilNet
Thanks for that, having looked at it dried, it looks much better than expected and there doesn’t seem to be an issue with it when you pull the seams taut. Is there a knack to seam sealing? I used the provided Curved syringe which worked on and off. I used the Gear Aid sil stuff, what sort of dilution ratio would you use?
I use a little brush. Dilution varies but if it's nice and thin, you can push it into the stitch holes rather than it just sit on top.
Thanks Stu. What do you dilute with? Water...?
I like beer. 🍻

User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 19034
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:46 pm

Thanks Stu. What do you dilute with? Water...?
White spirit.
#corporate shill for hire

User avatar
Shewie
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:27 pm
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Shewie » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:23 pm

Any household silicone will do it too, I did my MLD Cricket with some left over clear Unibond I had from doing round the shower tray.

Roughly 1:2 with white spirits is nice to work with, soaks into the stitch lines too

benp1
Posts: 3353
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:36 pm
Location: North London

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by benp1 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:46 pm

I find a sponge to be better for application. Just cut a piece off a washing up sponge and use the non scourer side

User avatar
RIP
Posts: 4609
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:24 pm
Location: Seat 23 (window, facing), Coach H, 08.05 Leighton Buzzard - Euston
Contact:

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by RIP » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:18 pm

AK stem cap bracket thingy, after seeing Picton's one deployed for map presentation in conjunction with a chopping board attachment :smile: .

I thought it might be nice to mount a rocket launcher on it to retaliate against close-passing drivers. More benign would be a Tunnock's dispenser. But I suspect a map holder will be its designated purpose in the end, possibly superceding my bar-mounted KlixFix map holder.

Image
"My God, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

"It is in the petty details, not in the great results, that the interest of existence lies" - JKJ

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster

User avatar
K1100T
Posts: 650
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 am
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Contact:

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by K1100T » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:24 pm

... and delivered a Selk'bag 6G Original wearable sleeping bag. It's probably too big and heavy to take out on the bike, but maybe if we have to resort to emergency regulations again, I may try it in the back garden. It's actually for wearing in the shed while I work, as it was just too damn cold in there on Friday.
I like beer. 🍻

User avatar
Scattamah
Posts: 1947
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:18 pm
Location: Beyond The Black Stump

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Scattamah » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:00 am

...and delivered a long sought after set of 'beater 11's. 2 years, 20 quid a month less on beer...goal achieved. : )
After going through sets of 2's 'n 3's every year, will be interesting to see how the Ti wings fair by comparison.
bike_bling.jpg
bike_bling.jpg (151.78 KiB) Viewed 340 times
Greetz

S.
Image

middleagedmadness
Posts: 1645
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:37 pm
Location: Tir Na Nog

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by middleagedmadness » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:32 am

Scattamah wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:00 am
...and delivered a long sought after set of 'beater 11's. 2 years, 20 quid a month less on beer...goal achieved. : )
After going through sets of 2's 'n 3's every year, will be interesting to see how the Ti wings fair by comparison.

bike_bling.jpg

Greetz

S.
Your a bit far for me to pop over and change the spindle bearings now mate so make them last :wink:

User avatar
thenorthwind
Posts: 1064
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:07 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by thenorthwind » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:56 am

K1100T wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:24 pm
... and delivered a Selk'bag 6G Original wearable sleeping bag. It's probably too big and heavy to take out on the bike, but maybe if we have to resort to emergency regulations again, I may try it in the back garden. It's actually for wearing in the shed while I work, as it was just too damn cold in there on Friday.
Wimp! But I want one :cool: Please tell me the specified weights aren't in kg? :shock:

User avatar
Scattamah
Posts: 1947
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:18 pm
Location: Beyond The Black Stump

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Scattamah » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:32 am

middleagedmadness wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:32 am
Your a bit far for me to pop over and change the spindle bearings now mate so make them last :wink:
Yeah...the bike isn't doing as much swimming as it used to...that may help : )

Greetz

S.
Image

benp1
Posts: 3353
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:36 pm
Location: North London

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by benp1 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:25 pm

and dropped off a Rab VR flex vest.

Not my first VR top, nor Rab vest. It's quite thin so hoping this will get a lot of use as a goldilocks layer

benp1
Posts: 3353
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:36 pm
Location: North London

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by benp1 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:46 pm

Bumper day today.

As well as exciting things like a new dyson and another insulated mug to replace my broken one, the custom made frame for my custom printed OS map to go in my office arrived.

It's an A0 size OS map of my home turf, with my house slightly south of centre. Really pleased with it (excuse the mess)
Attachments
office map.jpg
office map.jpg (72.49 KiB) Viewed 222 times

User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 19034
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:06 pm

(excuse the mess)
What mess is that? Don't ever, ever venture into my workshop :wink:
#corporate shill for hire

Post Reply