The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by ScotRoutes »

A Revelate Shrew (3L seatpack) from Scud. To be fitted to my fatbike and carry spare tube, tools etc. One less thing to think about when I'm heading out on it.
RIP

Post by RIP »

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:52 pm Reg, I trust you've got a copy of the excellent Pigs and Ingots, The Lead/Silver Mines of Cardiganshire by Tina Carr and Annemarie Schöne, published by Y Lolfa in Talybont. My copy survived the cull when we moved and I often scan it to remind myself of the meaning of the word desolate.
Arrived. Some nice colour pics. Covers much of proposed WRT route so is a jolly little enthusiasm-cranker. Ta Piston. :smile:

Says a 152lb Roman pig of lead was found at Pennant, Stu, you need to rootle round for a few more and that'd be your retirement sorted!
Last edited by RIP on Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I have Bearbones tops .. thanks Stu for sorting me out.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Just received my DD Magic Carpet tarp as reviewed by Stu and it looks good. Perfect for extending the porch on my silwing or stand alone shelter depending on the weather forecast. For £18 Inc postage from the supplier he recommended what's not to like.
Also a new alpkit tapered dry bag.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:52 pm

Says a 152lb Roman pig of lead was found at Pennant, Stu, you need to rootle round for a few more and that'd be your retirement sorted!
I work in the nuclear industry, and many moons ago when I was an apprentice, I was dodging work by hiding in the massive warehouse behind the workshop. In there I found many, many tons of lead, most of it in pre-shaped tessellated blocks to provide temporary shielding. There were a lot of very roughly cast ingots as well though, and when I asked about it afterwards I was told that it had been recovered from an old ship wreck. It turns out that pre-nuclear age lead from ship wrecks (or other well shielded, contamination free sources) is even more valuable than normal lead because it can be used to shield delicate measuring instruments during calibration.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

2 x 700 x 45c Schwalbe Marathon Pluseseses and 2 x corresponding tubes (for spares) from CRC for the Fargo.

Front one went on tubeless no bother at all but the rear has put up a fight and will be feeling the wrath of the compressor at work tomorrow, if all goes wrong you may see a shredded tyre flying over South Staffordshire at around 8am.
RIP

Post by RIP »

The Cumbrian wrote: I work in the nuclear industry, and many moons ago when I was an apprentice, I was dodging work by hiding in the massive warehouse behind the workshop. In there I found many, many tons of lead, most of it in pre-shaped tessellated blocks to provide temporary shielding. There were a lot of very roughly cast ingots as well though, and when I asked about it afterwards I was told that it had been recovered from an old ship wreck. It turns out that pre-nuclear age lead from ship wrecks (or other well shielded, contamination free sources) is even more valuable than normal lead because it can be used to shield delicate measuring instruments during calibration.
Interestin' info ta..
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've heard the same about steel from shipwrecks before the first nuclear detonations being used for various things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel

The postman bought me some carbon jones loops, thanks drj0n :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Moff

Post by Moff »

An Acepac Pot Bag and some Bow-Ties from the Bossman Stu.
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Two tan wall 38c Panaracer Gravelkings for my wife's bike, Works out a lot cheaper than my spare wheels with skinny tyres idea. :-bd
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Free wheels to replace the clicking and paint peeling 6 spoke wheels that came with the bike 10 months ago.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

A pair of Giro Bravo Gel gloves. Nice and comfy, bit of a squeeze to get them on though (fit fine once on)
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Just took delivery of a 600ml Katadyn water filter bag and gave it a test run in the sink. Goodness, it ain't half quick. Filled a 1l bottle in moments. I'd still be pumping my MSR Trailshot for another 5 minutes and getting wrist cramp with it. IIRC MAM had one of these at last year's WRT and I recall a deep sense of water filter envy, which is now, shall we say, quenched
I'm just going outside ...
jay91

Post by jay91 »

2 kmc ss quick links
Some squirt chain lube from Amazon
Trying to ride bikes.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

2 x pink Pedros tyre levers

2 x brass presta to schrader adaptors for the compressor at work so I can seat my tyres easily
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A Morgo external oil filter kit for project Death Trap ... that'll mean very little to most. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

A replacement rear mech hanger for my Kinesis Ti Tripster. The original one is still going strong but I thought it was about time I finally (after 3 years!) invested in a spare in case of mishap in the middle of nowhere. Ordered it late yesterday morning from Upgrade Bikes and it arrived this afternoon. Impressive service.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Fresh Cratoni lid to replace the one smashed by US customs last year....and a Joystick Mk14. >2x output of my Mk7 and better beam pattern than my Mk10.

Greetz

S.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

...and has delivered a package from deepest mid-Wales. Lovely jerseys, Stu. Soft on the skin...will be interesting to see how they are after a few washes. Will feed the bear shortly for postage. [Edit: bear has been fed]

Greetz

S.
Last edited by Scattamah on Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

2 29r rocket Ron's and some Joe's super sealant to try out
Trying to ride bikes.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Some amazingly orange NSbikes pedals for my daughter's bike and a bottle of 15wt oil to hopefully make my forks a tad less sticky...
RIP

Post by RIP »

I've won a wooden spoon!

One has to ask what it's the consolation prize for not winning :smile: .

Mrs Perrin says it's quite appropriate for a real sh1t-stirrer. Thank you so much Mrs P.

I got my own back though because it was packed in a padded envelope which split as I opened it and showered the whole room with a cloud of shredded grey paper. Satisfyingly Mrs P went into orbit and is still there as far as I'm aware.

(Thanks Peter, it's a lovely GG bamboo spoon! I shall test it on tomorrow's porridge. I'm tempted to bung a photo up here for Landslide - aren't you our resident spoon carver Chris?)

psling

Post by psling »

RIP wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:35 am ... it was packed in a padded envelope which split as I opened it and showered the whole room with a cloud of shredded grey paper. Satisfyingly Mrs P went into orbit and is still there as far as I'm aware.
Ooops :oops: please send my apologies (keeping a straight face) to your good lady when she returns to terra firma :grin:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A sparkly new Mikuni to replace the 60 year old Amal. I figured it'd cost me £100 to rebuild the Amal fully, so a bit more for a brand new (and IMO superior) carb seemed to make sense.

May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I knew a chap who had an 8 port mini with 4 amal carbs on it that stuck out through the front of the bonnet. They had a habit of shooting flames out of them, he said when you saw the flames to stop them you just open the throttle wide* and they were sucked back in.

* depending on where you were at at the time and at what speed you were traveling this could be somewhat inconvenient :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger