The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:17 pm Do call in if you're (a) anywhere near (b) can be arsed :wink:
Thanks - I think so as we passed BB HQ on the Tinat, going up the hill with the pub on the left. Using some of that route. Will email.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Berghaus Ulvetanna jacket - a down and synthetic fill hybrid jacket

Lovely warm weather for a nice cost coat to turn up in!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Interesting. What's the thinking behind that then? Glass half full: "compresses quite nicely and is light, and also still insulates fairly well when wet", or glass half empty: "turns into a lump of down when wet and doesn't compress very well either" :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
benp1

Post by benp1 »

RIP wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:56 pm Interesting. What's the thinking behind that then? Glass half full: "compresses quite nicely and is light, and also still insulates fairly well when wet", or glass half empty: "turns into a lump of down when wet and doesn't compress very well either" :smile: .
Reg, i was sold at "body mapped". I love maps, and I have a body, isn't that enough?

Supposedly good for active use as well as more static stuff. Synthetic insulation used where you might generate more heat or don't need as much insulation (shoulders, side, armpit, forearm), down used where you don't generate heat or need more insulation (e.g lower core)

To be honest it was a bargain and I couldn't resist. I generally avoid down but this has enough to keep me warm with plenty of synthetic fill, which I like. I have, ahem, three other Berghaus synthetic fill jackets (hypertherm, ignite, and capucin) and I rate them a lot

I'll hopefully use it in the Alps in about six weeks
RIP

Post by RIP »

benp1 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:34 pm I love maps, and I have a body, isn't that enough?
:-bd
I couldn't resist.
Got to admire (and identify with!) the honesty :grin: :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

...with a box full of 29+ boots. Ordered yesterday direct from bontrager, arrived today post free. I was on their site the other week and they didn't seem to be listing any 29 x 3's. However a direct search for XR2 29 x 3 took me straight to their site :???: XR2's now £65 ea (my first pair were 85). I looked at the XR4's (big knobs) and when I selected the colour as grey / black, up popped the 29x3's. On offer at £55. So ordered a pair of each.

The XR4's look really good (and are all black, not black and grey....)- not quite as heavy as minions (no longer available in +) but a good array of knobs :grin: so should be a good normal conditions tyre.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

New tent day :-bd

Naturehike Vik 1, a singleskin tent, seems reasonably light (quoted as sub 1kg but suspect its a little over)

Two week delivery from china all for £100 :o

Will found out sooner rather than later how good it is beyond the 'front room test'
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

...and dropped off a granite designs talon, a knock off wolf tooth pliers for 1/3 the price
FLV

Post by FLV »

He came the other day, I then assembled what he brought into this

I then rode it, its very nice indeed, which is good.
some of you will have read I was looking at Fargo type bikes a while ago. I was put off by the reports of the Fargo being heavy and sluggish even though very well loved by many. I also considered a Cutthroat but didnt really want exactly what that was. Ended up landing on this.
Only been out on it once so far, for the afternoon on Sunday. Enjoyed that it can be ridden where ever I fancied (and wound be still quite fun) but didnt turn into a slog on the road.

I know there are likely other ways to achieve this, lightweight hardtail is the main one but I've just received a refund on one of those and fancied something different, so here it is. :grin:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

FLV wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:36 am He came the other day, I then assembled what he brought into this

I then rode it, its very nice indeed, which is good.
some of you will have read I was looking at Fargo type bikes a while ago. I was put off by the reports of the Fargo being heavy and sluggish even though very well loved by many. I also considered a Cutthroat but didnt really want exactly what that was. Ended up landing on this.
Only been out on it once so far, for the afternoon on Sunday. Enjoyed that it can be ridden where ever I fancied (and wound be still quite fun) but didnt turn into a slog on the road.

I know there are likely other ways to achieve this, lightweight hardtail is the main one but I've just received a refund on one of those and fancied something different, so here it is. :grin:
Looks really nice that Dave... is that with the wider tires on now?

Im also on a little mission to make my road bike go a bit more off..
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Am I being dense (probably!), what is it? It looks very nice,

The first person to say "bike" gets a paddington-bear-stare :roll:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

From the decals on the downtube and by extension the fork, seems to be a Mason. Not sure what model but my suggestion would be a "Confused "
Edit, it's actually an "In search of" so I wasn't far wrong :wink:
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

This must be the new ISO. It looks quite different from the original, it appears to have a much more horizontal top tube.
May satan walk with you
faustus

Post by faustus »

Nice Mason :-bd

Got a SQ labs 30x16 bar in medium rise turn up t'other day. Put it on the Unit as part of ongoing fiddling with what handlebars I fancy for it. Riding it later to see.

FLV

Post by FLV »

'tis a Mason, 'tis an ISO yeah.

Dont think the top tube is too much different from the old ones, mine is a 54 (which is the actual ST length centre to top).
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Had a few bits delivered so I can kip in the back of the van. Some blackout blind material and some magnets. But needs a few more magnets to finish up. It's a bit of a suck it and see approach

Picked up some ply and made a flat pack bed for the back at the weekend - single for bike trips or king size for trips with the kids.

Planning to camp at Donington track this weekend with my eldest two to watch the BTCC. Good way to christen it hopefully. Sadly no bikes allowed to get around the track
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Ooh boxes
Not commuting by train pays again!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Two pieces of Acepac luggage arrived today from BB Towers: a bar harness and a bar bag. I've been a Wildcat Fat Lion user for years and I won't take anything away from it, but the ease/speed of attaching the Acepac harness just made my morning. Zero. Faff. The Bar Bag is interesting - loads of features and a removable dry bag inside it. Thanks Stu. :-bd

I
I'm just going outside ...
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Another weird double post ... it's like a greater power is insisting that I say everything twice. If I didn't know better, I'd swear I was talking to my children ...
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ve got one of the bar bags, it’s ace :lol: I can fit my sleeping bag in mine, if you want to use it stand alone the supplied fixings work ok but are a little wiggly.. I chopped the fittings off the shoulder strap and Velcro’d them to the bars, works a treat, use the g-hook and loop that through the fork crown and it’s rock solid.
Last edited by BigdummySteve on Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Tim, if you're wondering how the bag attaches to the harness - the bar bag fittings fit into the Hypalon loops, thus.

May the bridges you burn light your way
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Thanks Stu. I don't do instructions so just chucked it all together till it worked. Which it did quickly enough. Lovely kit
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Ooh boxes
None of which contain a chain :oops:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Some fork oil to service my SIDs, I've never done a lower leg service but it looks easy enough :roll:
A Morvelo Trawl Overland beanie to go with my new beard to add to the hipster/gravel look :wink:
Some new nuts for my valve cores.

It occurred to me that the last time I was in Scotland my hands were so cold and numb that I could only just open my dry bag. If the same occurs again and I need to fit a tube to a tyre I stand very little chance of getting the nut off the valve core. Not only do these have a castellated edge to grip but failing that they come with a spanner which is also a valve tool :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I'd like some of those Sean where did you get them from?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer