The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jurassic

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Jurassic »

mfezela wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:31 pm
PaulB2 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:48 pm . . just waiting for the chain whip . .
One of the easiest MYOG jobs imaginable. Length of soft wood, mine's 400 x 40 x 30mm chipboard, ±600mm used chain, 3 screws or nails for fixing chain to wood. Using soft wood ensures no damage to sprockets. Drape over largest sprocket to maximise leverage.
It's a good point. I just used to jam the chain that I'd taken off my bike in the (wooden) jaws of Decker Workmate whilst draped over the cassette then I could remove the cassette with a cassette cracker. It worked well but wasn't quite as convenient as having a chain whip.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Postman delivered an Exposure Strada Mk10

My Mk6 went back to Exposure with quite a few problems - loose battery, cracked lens, only 1 LED working. They didn't have the right bits to fix it so offered me a trade in against something newer.

Strada is a road biased light but works well for me off road because I'm slow! And then it works well for me when I'm commuting. Having a remote control makes changing modes very easy
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Primus ETA Lite+ stove turned up. Mainly for use in the van than on the hills, to replace the jetboil that was in there. The gauze on my original Jetboil seems to be not functioning very well, cup is still bob on though

Postie also dropped off another Garmin mount, the rubber band one wasn't worked particularly well with off road riding
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

... with a package from BB towers - thanks for the extras Stu.

The sticker has gone on the thorn Brevet, which is evolving into an old fashioned touring/ rough stuff bike.

I bought it from Picker's Dad, and Pickers kindly threw in some 9 -speed dura ace brifters and rear mech :-bd - so it's lost the big ring to allow for the double only front brifter - I might have a play with a bigger cassette and a road link

Not quite the postman, but my LBS has been leaving me bags of bits outside their shop. We moved here 10 months ago and we're now at the stage where they're saying "oh just pay when it all arrives!" :-bd

So the thorn has now got:
Nitto technomic delux stem
Nitto dirt drop bars in 52cm wide
Fabric knurl bar tape - which I rate
new cables throughout
Some terravail rampart tyres in 700 x 32 - from a first ride I'm really impressed. comfy and good rolling on the road. Will have to try them on some gentle bridleway sometime.
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

A box of various goodies from That bloke in the barn.
Cheers Stu, should keep me playing about with set ups until I can actually get out properly.
Mart

Post by Mart »

The posties not been ...... :cry: Mr Grumpy
Things are taking ages to arrive at the moment

Heck even my amazon prime next day delivery option is taking 8 days :lol:
2924 miles per Gallon
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

My Mukluk got 20mm taller today! Thank you Nates, you did well to last 6 1/2 years! Hello Edna :cool:
Image20200423_150951 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

summittoppler wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:08 pm My Mukluk got 20mm taller today! Thank you Nates, you did well to last 6 1/2 years! Hello Edna :cool:
Image20200423_150951 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
If you liked Nates you'll like Ednas as well I think. I'm running one up front but only have clearance for a Nate at the back, still it's a combo I like. :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I put Ednas on Cath's Wednesday about 18 months ago - knocked a kilo off the overall weight compared to the stock Nates.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

My Camino Ti V2 frameset finally arrived today. I'd hoped to be able to swap all the bits over from my alu Camino to the new frame and have it ready to ride today but it looks like Hunt sent me the wrong axle kit to swap from Q/R on the old bike to Bolt Through on the new one. It's been a bitter sweet day then but the new frame looks superb and the forks on the V2 come with Anything Cage mounts and separate mudguard mounting eyes down at the drop out. :-bd
ImageIMG_20200423_120809001 by Jurassic690, on Flickr
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A BSA Bantam brake pedal :roll:
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

whitestone wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:18 pm I put Ednas on Cath's Wednesday about 18 months ago - knocked a kilo off the overall weight compared to the stock Nates.
Hang on... So Surly Ednas are the ones to go for to not make a fat bike too heavy :???: good info that Bob ta
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:25 pm
whitestone wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:18 pm I put Ednas on Cath's Wednesday about 18 months ago - knocked a kilo off the overall weight compared to the stock Nates.
Hang on... So Surly Ednas are the ones to go for to not make a fat bike too heavy :???: good info that Bob ta
Or Jumbo Jims. They're faster rolling too ( though not quite up to the same levels of slop).
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:28 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:25 pm
Or Jumbo Jims. They're faster rolling too ( though not quite up to the same levels of slop).
There are different spec Surly tyres and the weights vary between them. The Edna was heavier than the Nates on my bike (60tpi Edna vs 120tpi Nate) but weight is only part of the equation. As Scotroutes says Jumbo Jims are lighter and faster rolling but I only had them on my bike for a few weeks before removing them and selling them on. In the conditions that I usually ride my fat bike in they were treacherous, it was like riding on slicks. Nates are the best mud tyres that I've tried and the Edna is pretty similar but with a bit more volume.
redefined_cycles

All good info... thanks folk. Now to get hold of this bike (OOF in small) and will be back experimenting in due course if needed :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If you are after some lighter/faster fat tyres for a cheaper build, I have a pair of used Husker Dus you could have. A contribution for postage would be handy as they're not exactly light/compact :lol: They're not tubeless (at least not advertised as such) if that's an issue.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:02 pm All good info... thanks folk. Now to get hold of this bike (OOF in small) and will be back experimenting in due course if needed :-bd
Oh I didn't realise you were getting an OOF Shaf (is it for your son?) I loved mine and managed to get it down to 26lbs/11.8kg at one point (with carbon forks, carbon rims, carbon bars and no dropper) but then it started to get heavier again as I added suspension forks and a dropper. :cool:
ImageIMG_20160727_203643 (2) by Jurassic690, on Flickr
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Slight topic drift.

The stock tyres on the Wednesday are the 27tpi Nates so pretty heavy.

Husker Dus are 120tpi and are tubeless ready - at least those on the Puffin that I bought off Ian were.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Great service as normal from a very busy Rich and Shona of Keep Peddling in Manchester.

A Rohloff oil service kit arrived within 24 hours of my email to them, in fact it arrived here before I'd even phoned them back to pay for it.

Won't get that from Chain Reaction or Wiggle
redefined_cycles

Jurassic wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:19 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:02 pm All good info... thanks folk. Now to get hold of this bike (OOF in small) and will be back experimenting in due course if needed :-bd
Oh I didn't realise you were getting an OOF Shaf (is it for your son?) I loved mine and managed to get it down to 26lbs/11.8kg at one point (with carbon forks, carbon rims, carbon bars and no dropper) but then it started to get heavier again as I added suspension forks and a dropper. :cool:
ImageIMG_20160727_203643 (2) by Jurassic690, on Flickr
:cool: looks like the fat tyre threads finally got to me and the seller offered an irrefutable (that the right word... i went for irrefusable initially :smile: ) deal... Plus its (well the SRAM gearing at least) has won an iteration of Rovienami and hardly ridddn... Looks from the pics that the forks ade carbon too :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Looks from the pics that the forks ade carbon too
They look like suspension forks to me?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:57 am
Looks from the pics that the forks ade carbon too
They look like suspension forks to me?
That's not the bike Shaf is buying...
redefined_cycles

This be my (well the kids which will go from the 14YO to 9YO daughter to 5YO who currently has the Isla) gorgeous beauty. Not sure how long the x5 would last though and hopefully i might be able to fit on it for shorter rides too. Its a S though so doubt it even with the spare 29er wheels its coming with :-bd

Proper excited...
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Terra Nova laser 6 waist pack from the sale. It looks good for £10

Still waiting for a tyre &ss chain from tweeks orderd 12 days ago :roll:
Last edited by jay91 on Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trying to ride bikes.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:46 am Image

This be my (well the kids which will go from the 14YO to 9YO daughter to 5YO who currently has the Isla) gorgeous beauty. Not sure how long the x5 would last though and hopefully i might be able to fit on it for shorter rides too. Its a S though so doubt it even with the spare 29er wheels its coming with :-bd

Proper excited...
Looks good and those are definitely carbon forks. :-bd