Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Mart »

Postie delivered some clamcleats, linelocs and some 2mm Bungee

Had the weekend fettling the new tarp guylines :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

And dropped off (with a thud) edition #3 of The Bikepacking Journal.

A quick browse and this edition looks very much like the travelogue edition, a printed version of Bunyan Velo if you like.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

A pair of half price Merrell MQM Flex Mid Goretex boots for winter (when it's cold rather than wet). I use Nukeproof Horizon Pro Flat Pedals on my MTB, so these will do nicely over a thick pair of socks.

https://cdn.sportsshoes.com/product/M/M ... 1000_1.jpg
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

And dropped a nifty little pro bike tools mini ratchet
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

Mudhugger 29er rear guard for a Longitude that I've been building up over the past few months. Just need to hope I've been a good lad and Santa brings me a Supernova rear light.
Powered by crumpets.
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

AC962C08-DD73-4170-AFA6-03C8C1B4C837.jpeg
(159.53 KiB) Downloaded 2167 times
A 50t cassette ,
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ozboz wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:17 pm A 50t cassette ,
Is that 10 speed? What make is it? I'm going to guess at sunrace as it's got a red locking.

Edit, is it 11 speed and the smallest cog is stored round the back for packing? I thought it might be a 10 speed as I could only see 10 cogs in the picture :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Sean I'd say it was an 11 speed as the 11t (or poss 10) sprocket is held on the inside of the plastic retainer as it won't slide over it when in the packaging, probably Sunrace, I have an 11-40 11speed on my gravel bike and it looks similar.
Edit, missed your edit.
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

You got it ! The small 11 is on the back with lock ring and is a Sunrace , I got it for a good price from Merlin , I’ve just got an XT deraileur and an XT shifter on its way , new chain and possibly a wolfs tooth gizmo and I’ll be on my way !!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've just googled it and found a review on singletrack and it should work well with the xt mech.

https://singletrackworld.com/2018/02/re ... race-1x11/
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

I envisage some minor probs with this, as I did with a similar mod on my road bike , I changed that from an 11-25 to an 11-36 , I had to swap the ultegra deraileur for a 105 , a wolfs tooth gizmo and a new longer chain , but I got it sussed In the end, a real boon for my uphill efforts ! , that is a big reason I went for the large 50t ring on this , especially knowing I’ll be loaded up with bikepacking gear coping with not only gradients but also harsh terrain , ........I can’t wait for my first bash!
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

ozboz wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:48 am I envisage some minor probs with this, as I did with a similar mod on my road bike , I changed that from an 11-25 to an 11-36 , I had to swap the ultegra deraileur for a 105 , a wolfs tooth gizmo and a new longer chain , but I got it sussed In the end, a real boon for my uphill efforts ! , that is a big reason I went for the large 50t ring on this , especially knowing I’ll be loaded up with bikepacking gear coping with not only gradients but also harsh terrain , ........I can’t wait for my first bash!
Does the XT long cage RD handle this or do you still need an extender?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Mariner wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:53 am
ozboz wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:48 am I envisage some minor probs with this, as I did with a similar mod on my road bike , I changed that from an 11-25 to an 11-36 , I had to swap the ultegra deraileur for a 105 , a wolfs tooth gizmo and a new longer chain , but I got it sussed In the end, a real boon for my uphill efforts ! , that is a big reason I went for the large 50t ring on this , especially knowing I’ll be loaded up with bikepacking gear coping with not only gradients but also harsh terrain , ........I can’t wait for my first bash!
Does the XT long cage RD handle this or do you still need an extender?
Pretty sure that an XT long or medium cage mech will be fine without an extender. I'm running XT medium cage with 11-46, 11 speed on my fat bike with no issues and my plan is to replace the 11-46 with an 11-50 at some point.
atk

Post by atk »

A fancy carbon pole for my Ultamid arrived from the depths of Wales. Replacing the Mont(?) one I left in Australia. Got some Sweary Dave stickers too :-bd
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

Ill have to wait and see how it all goes but im sure i have a spare wolfs tooth extender knocking about , I read a couple of reviews re fitting a 50t , it seems to be ok but a few problems on some frames, you can just go with the SLX shadow plus thats on it already according to some, ill throw a post up when its all done and let you all know how it went, the bit i am crap on is calculating the chain length, looked at Sheldon Brown and u tube stuff, but just cant seem to get it right other than trial and error in situ ,
FLV

Post by FLV »

Not the postman, but the kindle man.

Obsessive compulsive cycling disorder by our very own Sweary Dave Barter.

Odered a while ago and only just downloaded, maybe a little roadie based (not sure, not read any yet) but I generally like the stuff he writes so far so why not have a go :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Had quite a few little silnylon zip type pouches for organising kit. More for rucksack use than bikepacking
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

FLV wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:27 pm Not the postman, but the kindle man.

Odered a while ago and only just downloaded, maybe a little roadie based (not sure, not read any yet) but I generally like the stuff he writes so far so why not have a go :-bd
Much appreciated
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Not a postman but a quick trip up the M6 to get myself a Calibre Dune from Penrith. First ride out on it on the local trail tonight and it was great fun. They inflated the tyres to something crazy high so I stopped about 8 times to let a little more out but it's rocky and rooty in the forest so didn't want to risk a pinch flat.

I had planned on just riding my Signal all through winter but coming back in freezing rain put paid to me giving it a clean after every evening muddy spin so I bit the bullet on the Dune and I'm pleased. I can imagine it will also make me very pleased when I ride the Signal too!

Thanks Jay for the heads up on the Bargain thread.

Now to figure out how to go ghetto tubeless on monster truck rims...
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

FLV wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:27 pm Not the postman, but the kindle man.

Id also recommend ‘The Year’ by Dave
Great read and could possibly make you feel soft (in a manliness way :shock: )
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Mart

Post by Mart »

ozboz wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:00 pm Ill have to wait and see how it all goes but im sure i have a spare wolfs tooth extender knocking about , I read a couple of reviews re fitting a 50t , it seems to be ok but a few problems on some frames, you can just go with the SLX shadow plus thats on it already according to some, ill throw a post up when its all done and let you all know how it went, the bit i am crap on is calculating the chain length, looked at Sheldon Brown and u tube stuff, but just cant seem to get it right other than trial and error in situ ,
Have a read of this, it worked very nicely for me
https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... min-3.html

I'm sure the author advised me on chainlength and it worked perfectly
Something about having the derailleur cage in the 4-5 o'clock position whilst in lowest gear
2924 miles per Gallon
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

A blue badge dropped through the door today. Thank you Stu.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

A Salsa Spearfish 1 frame and shock. Quite a departure from the fully rigid singlespeed.

I've had gears on my bike for a few weeks and looks what's happened to me, I knew it was a slippery slope :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:41 am A Salsa Spearfish 1 frame and shock. Quite a departure from the fully rigid singlespeed.

I've had gears on my bike for a few weeks and looks what's happened to me, I knew it was a slippery slope :lol:
Ooh 😲

Took a while for me to get used to mine. Mainly because of the suspension
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

For the Sutra: SKS Edge aluminum Mudguards.
For the Longitude: Ritchey Kyote bars and a couple of 10 speed chains.
For general use an Agu top tube bag.
Now off out to the shed :smile: