Garmin UK ITT Maps - Any interest?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Garmin UK ITT Maps - Any interest?

Post by Dave Barter »

I have been playing around with data and software and can now render custom Garmin GPS maps to be stored on an SD card. I know this has been done before and is not rocket science (it's pretty tedious I can tell you). I'm trying to create myself an SD card map of the UK with all of the ITT routes burnt into it and a load of supporting information. So far I have managed to get:-

-bothies
-taps
-supermarkets
-eating establishments

As points of interest. Now, as for the routes I KNOW that you can upload the GPX to your GPS device and follow the track, but I don't like this as it obscures the map somewhat, so I have rendered a different style as you can see below:-

This is a small portion of the HT550, you can see that it is labelled and done as a transparent set of lines so you can see the map below. The track is missing in this case as I stupidly forgot to include rights of way in the render. Most of the map data is using Ordnance Survey vector district, not open street map and as such should be a lot better for roads. I have used openstreetmap for footpaths and bridleways etc.. as OS do not publish that data. I've also added contour lines. In 2015 OS are releasing a new vector dataset down to 1:10000 scale which will include accurate building shapes and a lot more detail. I'll be testing it all on GPS shortly, but being vector based the maps should display very clearly as opposed to the raster based OS maps which only really work at a few zoom levels.

So, two questions.

1) If I did this and included all of the UK ITT's would there be any interest? Let's be clear I am NOT going to sell these maps, they will be completely free BUT I ain't hosting them either, as they will end up at 1Gb+ for UK coverage. Maybe someone else could do this, or sell SD cards with the maps on, or we have some sort of model where we each agree to copy and pass on a card (like giffgaff) ?

2) What else should go on the maps? Remember I have to be able to find a free dataset that I can import and geocode (place on the map).

If it's a goer I'll put a load more effort into it over the coming weeks and try and publish a V1 map ready for next year's events/good weather.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Zippy

Re: Garmin UK ITT Maps - Any interest?

Post by Zippy »

So basically a large repository of POI (for things like bothies etc.) and gpx trails for routes, all as one so you can just scroll down and select?

And I'm guessing you're talking about including the background mapping too for the localised areas?

Sounds good, then just host it on megaupload/mega/is kimble still about!? :lol:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Yes, forgot to say that it will work on GPS for navigation and in Basecamp on PC/MAC for additional route planning/printing
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Has basecamp got any better? I remember fiddling with an early version and thought it was cr4p.

Anyway that aside, a single database of the whole lot would be ace. However I don't think it should go too mainstream, i.e. one of those things for those in the know :wink: Otherwise some hidden secret bothies will become not so hidden secrets that made them what they are...well something like that, my brain's not working this afternoon - my sentiment is we have to be careful releasing this all in one go information into the wild.

Multiple formats and tracklog resolutions would be good too (i.e. maybe tracklog optimised for as few points as possible for reliable running, and a higher resolution track for those with a more powerful gps. Also different file formats to cater for different gps device).

Just some pie in the sky ideas churning out of my head.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Looks great, I'm interested.

Can you add text boxes eg. "Tap SE of building" ?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Yes, as long as I get it in the data.
Currently I have only the location for taps as I took them out of OSM. But over time we could add descriptions to them as well.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

But over time we could add descriptions to them as well.
Good.

Adding cues and tips would be great for those new to a route.
stevenmcco

Post by stevenmcco »

That looks brilliant. I would love a copy
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Sounds good
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

I'm interested, sounds very good

Drew
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

OK I will make up a beta copy over the next few weeks. Will be Garmin only. Watch this space
composite

Post by composite »

I think I can probably host a large zip for a reasonable amount of time.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Sounds good dave. I can host a large zip for as long as you like.
DanLear

Post by DanLear »

I'm very interested...thanks Dave!
composite

Post by composite »

Checked out the box this morning and I can definitely host if needed. :)
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Thanks composite, I'll take you up on that offer when the first cut is done.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

this does sound good. but i dont run garmin. is there anyway it would work with memorymap - maybe not now but in the future?

I've been trying really hard not to buy a garmin!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Ian I will have a good long look
Mike

Post by Mike »

I agree this idea sounds good
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Sounds like a great idea!.....i'd just need to buy a proper gps... :grin:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Dave Barter wrote:Ian I will have a good long look

thansk dave. I know the standard gpx tracks or routes work with MM fine. there is also a M specific .mmo file format which i don't use. must admit that I've never used a POI type system on any gps or satnav so am well out of the loop on how it works
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

First the good news, I've cracked this technically and also think I have cracked how to get a closed community to help maintain the data and gain access to it.

I could do with one person in Scotland near the HT550 route (ideally Fort William area) would could give the maps a quick test for me on a Garmin with SD card. I am keen to know whether the zoom and detail levels are right as I think these will be important. The current map set has taps/bothys/shops/eateries and the HT550 route. The tap data set is really sparse as it comes from Openstreetmap but we can improve that over time if my other plan comes together. The map also has bridleways/paths/byways on it but these also come from Openstreetmap and the data is not fantastic, again as part of this project maybe we could help fill in the gaps by riding them and adding them to the Openstreetmap data.

If nobody can help near Scotland, I'll do a Wales map based on the trans CAmbrian but this will take me a bit longer. I'm keen to get some feedback before releasing a version that is pants.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Second the bad news. Ianfitz, I cannot render these maps for Memory map devices BUT I can share the data and am going to put up an site so that a select few can do this
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Dave Barter wrote:First the good news, I've cracked this technically and also think I have cracked how to get a closed community to help maintain the data and gain access to it.

I could do with one person in Scotland near the HT550 route (ideally Fort William area) would could give the maps a quick test for me on a Garmin with SD card. I am keen to know whether the zoom and detail levels are right as I think these will be important. The current map set has taps/bothys/shops/eateries and the HT550 route. The tap data set is really sparse as it comes from Openstreetmap but we can improve that over time if my other plan comes together. The map also has bridleways/paths/byways on it but these also come from Openstreetmap and the data is not fantastic, again as part of this project maybe we could help fill in the gaps by riding them and adding them to the Openstreetmap data.

If nobody can help near Scotland, I'll do a Wales map based on the trans CAmbrian but this will take me a bit longer. I'm keen to get some feedback before releasing a version that is pants.

I might be able to help out. I'm in Aviemore but not riding at the moment due to a broken rib. That doesn't prevent me from walking though and it would be nice to have a goal rather than just wandering around aimlessly :grin:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Ace, drop me a PM with an address and I'll send you an SD card.
Dave