Handle Bar Load Weight

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Handle Bar Load Weight

Post by dlovett »

Hello All,

I have entered the Winter Event and I am starting to set up my bike for it, It's a 2012 Trek Fuel Ex8. I have a few upgrades on it including a K&S dropper post and a 30mm Renthal Fatbar Lite.

In terms of luggage, I am going to make a frame bag to fit it, carry a small backpack. As a result of wanting to be able to use the dropper post I don't want to have a seat mounted bag. So I am thinking about getting either an Alpkit Kanga 230g (https://www.alpkit.com/products/kanga) or a Wildcat Mountain Lion 140g (http://www.wildcatgear.co.uk/shop/handl ... tain-lion/).

Any thoughts on which one is best for holding a dry bag containing an Ajungilak Igloo sleeping bag 25x20cm 1.4kg, a Multimat Superlite Air 24x60cm, 300g and a Robens Starlight 2 45x20cm, 2.4kg. Will this much weight effect the handling much? Are there any other options you can suggest?

Many thanks

Duncan
Chew

Re: Handle Bar Load Weight

Post by Chew »

Out of the two bar harnesses the Wildcat sits below the bars, while the Kanga sits in line with the bars. People will prefer either option, but some people find that the higher position of the Kanga interferes with the mounting of bar lights.

As for the handling effect of all that weight up front, thats up to you. You'll notice it, but how much is personal preference.

With it being winter, i'd be tempted to pack a bit extra to cope with the cold.

I'd think about leaving the dropper post at home as i cant imagine you'd need it. Then see if you needed a seat pack.
composite

Post by composite »

I went with the wildcat harness, there wasn't a huge choice though when I bought mine. However I don't really like the design of the kanga anyway, holding the dry bag so high up.

Depending on which mat I use I carry between about 1kg and 1.5kg on the front.

I wouldn't bother with the dropper post either, I have one for my 29er but never use when bikepacking.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I don't use a dropper for most bikepacking trips, only for those on difficult terrain, where I carry only a tiny load on my bike, rest in rucksack.
If hauling distances, I like to get off the bike now and then, set myself and bike up (saddle down) a bit before a descent. So, as much as I love droppers, I get around with out them too.

I always try to keep the weight on the handlebars as low as possible. It's where the bikes handling get deteriorated the most. But as Chew stated, it's an individual thing if you can get along with it or not.