alfine v cassette

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

paramart

alfine v cassette

Post by paramart »

Are there any older posts that have been previously discussed on this subject,as i,m toying with the idea of 1 bike does all, and the simplest way is to go with the alfine then i could just whip out the wheel and drop in a ss one, martin does this with his bike but has any body who rides hard and all weathers found any weaknesses with the alfine,(not saying mart doesn,t ride hard or in all weathers) i know he,s happy with his but i like to get a broader opinion on things,
also 8 or 11 speed is there a noticeable difference, thanks
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
ZeroDarkBivi

Re: alfine v cassette

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Use the search box - I think there has been lots of comments. My experience is that Alfine 11 is just not robust enough for MTB, and after sending mine back twice under warranty, I got a refund. Everybody I have met who has used one has had a very similar experience!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The 11-speed give you 3 faster gears, no lower ones.
Have a good think about the gearing you're happy with and choose a ring and rear cog to match.
Nexus cogs fits on Alfine hubs so give you more options.

My fatbike came with an 11-speed Alfine rear which I rode for about a year. I didn't have any problems with it once set up and provided I kept on top of cable adjustment.
I subsequently fitted a 9-speed cassette and double up front just for a bit of extra range, especially at the lower end.
I've even run the Alfine with a double up front and an Alfine tensioner. That worked pretty well, especially in really snowy/icy conditions. The gearing ended up below Shimanos recommendations but it was still faultless.

Having tried it out, I'm not sure I'd go Alfine/IGH again.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

i had an alfine 11. it was pants!

but if you do want to compare ratios the online calculator on the sheldon brown site has 8 and 11 speed data. its a http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/
barney

Post by barney »

Speaking as someone who isn't very fit I bought an 11speed affine thinking it would be great as a bike packing bike.

Unfortunately I ended up walking up a lot of hills I knew I'd have ridden up on a geared bike.

This spoilt rides for me so I've gone to geared

(Have to admit I'm not the fittest rider :oops: )
Wait for me...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Barney's Alfined11 Swift is riding lovely with me, and I'm not that fit either :wink:

Might try a slightly bigger sprocket to give a little lower bottom gear as it lacks a twiddlier range for winching up steeps.

Also have an Alfine8 on the road rat, fine once that also got a slightly bigger sprocket.

I think they're great and the reduced cleaning etc is spot on. I couldn't single speed so this is next best to my mind.

Have heard of issues with the Alfine11 but not experienced any personally.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Used to use a lot of 8-spd Alfines on Genesis MTB and CX bikes, very few if any issues. The bikes were used at hire centres for the reliability, they needed a service here and there but generally all good for XC MTB use. I always found it a little 'soft' to pedal, less direct, but it wasn't anything major and the winter-resistance offset that.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Having Alfine 11 speeded (once the faffing is over and it is set correctly they are OK) I've stepped up to Rohloff and I'll never go back.

If you do big miles and/or ride in big hills the extra ratio's (not the number of gears) a Rohloff gives you is amazing, I worked out that it's covers a 3 x 9 set up without the very fastest gear (big front/small back) but with no gears overlapping, and once it's spinning you don't notice the heavier back end.

I liked it so much my SS now has a Rohloff and it's getting used every week as well
VeganGraham

Post by VeganGraham »

I'd recommend a Rohloff as well.
They go for £500 to £600 or so on ebay regardless of age or mileage, so you can buy one, then sell it for the same again if you really don't like it.
Think of it as a £600 fully refundable deposit for an unlimited demo ride if you like. :wink:
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Dave42w

Post by Dave42w »

I have used Alfine 8 and 11 on my Bullitt Cargobike, Rohloff on my Shand.

For off-road my choice would be Rohloff if I could. Otherwise Alfine 8. There is no bottom gear warranty limit on a Alfine 8 and there is on an Alfine 11, I think that is for a good reason. The Alfine 8 seems very tough in comparison with the 11. The slight efficiency gains by the 11 using an oil bath rather than the grease of the 8 only seem to be an advantage for on-road lighter tasks.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Dave42w wrote:I have used Alfine 8 and 11 on my Bullitt Cargobike, Rohloff on my Shand.

For off-road my choice would be Rohloff if I could. Otherwise Alfine 8. There is no bottom gear warranty limit on a Alfine 8 and there is on an Alfine 11, I think that is for a good reason.
There is no "warranty limit". There is a recommendation, with no reason given as to why.
Dave42w

Post by Dave42w »

ScotRoutes wrote:There is no "warranty limit". There is a recommendation, with no reason given as to why.
Apologies, I had mis-remembered. However, the recommendation seems to be an indication of different expectations by Shimano.
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

ScotRoutes wrote:
Dave42w wrote:I have used Alfine 8 and 11 on my Bullitt Cargobike, Rohloff on my Shand.

For off-road my choice would be Rohloff if I could. Otherwise Alfine 8. There is no bottom gear warranty limit on a Alfine 8 and there is on an Alfine 11, I think that is for a good reason.
There is no "warranty limit". There is a recommendation, with no reason given as to why.

Can you provide a link Colin? I could never find a limit. If there is one I guess I am really busting it on the moonie! :lol:

I have to say I am a big fan of hub gears in principle. I run 2 alfine 8s right now as I'm not as flush as John. :wink: They are working great for me, though I am not a 'hard' rider. Not a fan of derailleur systems in the muck, but I do realise they have their place. My 27 speed 29er is the least ridden. The ss or the alfine are always first out the shed, but I'm glad I have the option. I'd struggle if I had to go back to one bike to do it all. Variety is the spice of life and all that.
Dave42w

Post by Dave42w »

firedfromthecircus wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:

Can you provide a link Colin? I could never find a limit. If there is one I guess I am really busting it on the moonie! :lol:

I have to say I am a big fan of hub gears in principle. I run 2 alfine 8s right now as I'm not as flush as John. :wink: They are working great for me, though I am not a 'hard' rider. Not a fan of derailleur systems in the muck, but I do realise they have their place. My 27 speed 29er is the least ridden. The ss or the alfine are always first out the shed, but I'm glad I have the option. I'd struggle if I had to go back to one bike to do it all. Variety is the spice of life and all that.
"It is recommended that the gear ratio of the front chain ring be set to approx. 1.9. Example: F34T – R18T, F39T – R20T, F45T – R23T"

See http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdocs/ ... 728103.pdf
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

That's the bit.

Note that it doesn't say whether you should be aiming for 1.9 as an upper- or a lower-limit, nor why 1.9 is recommended nor what will happen should you not adhere to 1.9.

AFAIK, that recommendation does not appear in the literature for the 8-speed either.
Dave42w

Post by Dave42w »

ScotRoutes wrote:That's the bit.

Note that it doesn't say whether you should be aiming for 1.9 as an upper- or a lower-limit, nor why 1.9 is recommended nor what will happen should you not adhere to 1.9.

AFAIK, that recommendation does not appear in the literature for the 8-speed either.
Agreed that does not appear for an 8 speed. I have seen it suggested that a) the 11 speed limit is on how low the gearing and b) that the lack of a recommendation for 8 speeds is because they are tougher
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

I love my Rohloff on My El Mariachi, having used it on a 26" wheeled bike it was noticeable how much smoother it was in 29" form.
My mate runs an El Mariachi too and ended up selling his Alfine 11 due it jumping out of gear a lot if the gear cables weren't perfectly adjusted.
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

ScotRoutes wrote:
It is a recommendation for the 8 speed that I was referring to and I thought you were too. I have never been able to find a limit for the 8. Just as well. :lol:

Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

My partner has an alfine 11. Been back for repair twice in the first 6 months and now replaced. Took months and he bought a SS wheel to use while the alfine 11 was away. He wishes he had bought a rohloff instead.