Dynamo lights 101

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Dynamo lights 101

Post by gairym »

Morning all,

I set off on the BB200 worried about many things but lighting wasn't one of them but.....it became one of the main things that really let me down (other than the structural integrity of my undercarriage).

So, I need to get my lighting system sorted out and know that I can rely on you lot to help me spend money I don't have.

I had on me for the BB200:

- bar mounted Lumicycle 800 lumen light.
- helmet mounted Hope (vision 1?).
- LED Lenser h7r.2 head torch.

The bar light gave up after 8-9 hours (did well I thought) with no recharge options or battery replacement possible.

The Hope light went mental and never really worked (though has never let me down before and seems to work fine now).

The head torch saved my life and performed well above/beyond the call of duty but ultimately it too died.

So.....

What I'm now thinking is either:

- an Exposure Joystick for the helmet
- dynamo bicycle for the bar light
- a backup head torch (just in case).

What I don't have s clue about is:

- what dynamo hub?
- what light?
- how it all goes together?
- is there a battery that charges so that it doesn't just go off during hike-a-bike sections?
- I might as well get involved in the usb charging options too but, again, have no idea where to start.

What are my options? Is it crazy expensive? Are there alternatives?

Or.....

If I could source a high powered bar mounted light that runs on AA then I'd happily avoid the complexities and expenses of dynamo technology altogether.

Any thoughts, options, information and ideas welcome!

Cheers, Gairy.
Last edited by gairym on Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giacomo

Re: Dynamo lights 101

Post by Giacomo »

Also very interested in hearing people's lighting ideas/set-ups following the BB200...

Thanks
ir_bandito

Post by ir_bandito »

I use a SP PD-8 dynamo hub. I have one on my road bike, and a PD-8X (15mm bolt-thru) on the mtb.
Wire it up to a Kemo M72N USB charger and through to an Exposure Revo.

Only downside is the Revo really. Its designed as a MTB light, so projection is rubbish for the road, it wastes too much light, but at slow MTB speeds, it doesn't give out enough really, needs to be paired with a helmet light. For that I had a Hope V2, with upgraded emitters, using the original soft case batteries. Did me right until I stopped at 2am until dawn, and for the coupel of hours I ended up in darkness again on sunday evening.

Incidentally, the Kemo didn't seem to be playing properly, luckily I also had an Anker 15000mAh battery for the GPS which was enough without charging.

The SP hubs are great. I hadn't used the 8X since last winter until this weekend. When I got it down from the loft, the bearings were seized. One email to SP, and I had a brand new hub delivered within 5 days. Luckily, it lasted for the BB, now I need to rebuild the wheel and send the old hub back.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

My Fargo has a Revo/Redeye/SP8 hub which I've used mostly on the road to be fair and I'm happy with it. Charging duties are dealt with by a Biologic Reecharge into a 2600mAh buffer battery with usb out.

I bought mine from Keep Pedalling after seeing Shona & Rich's at last year's bb200.

As the Fargo was retired from bb200 duty (thank goodness!) I reverted to last years set up which is an Exposure Six Pack on the bars and a Diablo on my lid. The Six pack does 10-24 hrs on Med/Low (Low is Revo on full!) and I have a triple cell extra battery so the Diablo has the same battery life as the Six Pack. Both still had plenty of life left at sun up.

I like the dynamo for my everyday commute but for something like the bb200 I'm not sure it's the best option.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

What's the difference between SP and USE dynamo hubs?

I used a helmet-mounted Diablo at the weekend, but on the 12hr setting (mode 2, low pwr) it was barely enough for the flat sections and woefully inadequate on descents... But it did produce a constant level for 12 hrs! Not aware of the piggy-back cell, must do some research.

Would happily stick to an AA powered light if a decent, reliable model exists.
atk

Post by atk »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:What's the difference between SP and USE dynamo hubs?
Nothing, USE/Exposure just rebrand the SP hubs.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Also, why do people seem to have predominantly the SP-8 instead of the more powerful (I'd slightly weightier) PD-8?
atk

Post by atk »

gairym wrote:Also, why do people seem to have predominantly the SP-8 instead of the more powerful (I'd slightly weightier) PD-8?
I think the model names are getting mixed up somewhere... The SV-8 and SD-8 models are for 20" wheels, they only produce 2.4W if you use them with 26"/700c wheels. PD-8, PV-8 and PL-8 will kick out 3W, they're different shells depending on the type of brake you intend to use.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

I ran a Mk6 Joystick on the helmet, an Mk9 Joystick on the bars, and my old Petzl Tikka head torch as fallback.

Mk6 Joystick has a focused beam and stayed green throughout the night on low. Mk9 has a spread beam and also managed the night on low with no problems.

Ideal combo I thought...

Dynamo and USB stuff seems expensive for the amount I would use it. Having said that, I am glad I invested in a second light for this years BB200. I did last years with just the Mk6 Joystick on the bars. Helmet fixed lighting is great...
gairym

Post by gairym »

darbeze wrote:I ran a Mk6 Joystick on the helmet, an Mk9 Joystick on the bars, and my old Petzl Tikka head torch as fallback.

Mk6 Joystick has a focused beam and stayed green throughout the night on low. Mk9 has a spread beam and also managed the night on low with no problems.
That's something like what I was thinking about doing too!

Unless I'm doing either multiple days/nights or a trip of more than 5 days that requires some night riding then I don't know when I'll 'need' the dynamo setup.
Dynamo and USB stuff seems expensive for the amount I would use it. Having said that, I am glad I invested in a second light for this years BB200. I did last years with just the Mk6 Joystick on the bars. Helmet fixed lighting is great...
Exactly.

Does anyone know if the mk8 joystick is focused or spread?

Can get one of those cheap(ish) and then get a mk9 for the bars.

Hmmm.....food for thought.

More research needed.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

If spending joystick money on a bar light I'd be buying a British supplied Chinese light from someone like CandBSeen, Torchy, etc. By all means benefit from its design for your lid but as a bar light its not great vfm.
Singlespeedpunk

Post by Singlespeedpunk »

Reliable AA lights? Fenix LD20.

I have had mine for 7 years+ and have used them in all conditions around the world. 2 Lithium AAs give 3hrs+, Duracells 2hrs+.

1 on the bars, 1 on the helmet is fine for 90% of stuff, 24hr races I have 2 on the bars. Commuting I have one on the bars and have done for 5years plus.

Two Fish locblocks / pump blocks (90deg or in-line for bars and helmet respectivly) upgraded with zipties to keep things in place.

Only change in all that time is some of the anodizing fading to a cool dark bronze :) £35-40 each, £5 per mount and if you want 8x AA rechargeables and charger Vapextex do a good set up for £25.

SSP
Dave42w

Post by Dave42w »

NB My experience is not mountain biking. However, it does include lots of night riding including multiple all nighters.

I love hub dynamo's for the way they are always there and are incredibly reliable. I have 2 Schmidt Delux (a 20 and 28) which have provided total reliability in year round cycling. I like the Schmidt eDelux light for the proper dipped beam lighting pattern, standlight, auto-on and lack of a hole for the switch (magnets). I can ride pretty much as fast as I like with it and on Sustrans type routes it is enough illumination down to just over 3mph.

But they are expensive.

The Shimano dynamos on the other had are under £80 I think. Would be a much cheaper way to get started.

I don't know what the axle options are for either beyond standard quick release.

I too have a USE joystick and it will last a whole summer night. I use one of their piggyback batteries to extend it. I also have a USE Strada which is good if not as long lived. I imagine a Joystick on the cycle helmet would be a good addition to a hub dynamo light.
thesloth

Post by thesloth »

Singlespeedpunk wrote:Reliable AA lights? Fenix LD20.
I'll second that.

I used a Revo on the bars juiced by a shutter precision hub. It's great, but on a very slow climb, or while walking it doesn't push out enough light.
It's a bit of investment, having to get it built into a wheel etc, but if you use it for commuting as well it's an excellent choice.

You'll definitely need a helmet light to back it up for mountain biking duties. Fenix LD20 is great. The beam has a bit of a hot spot and is not as nicely diffused as something from Exposure, but it's cheap, reliable and most importantly runs on AA's.
You'll never have to worry about it dying in the middle of nowhere. It's a good choice for multi day rides.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I was really pleased with my setup, especially as it was only a week old. A SP hub with Revo, and a Joystick mk9. The Revo was great while riding, and on downhills and Tarmac was bright enough on its own. Pushing - it was almost useless, but that is where the Joystick on the helmet came into its own. The Joystick on medium was excellent, and easily bright enough to push by and a good backup for the Revo. The joystick expired at 1st light, so it lasted about 10 hours, then I realised that the Revo on its own would be pants.

Slowupslowdown gave me a Kemo, so I now have a full setup to charge the joystick, and charge the gps. Thanks Pete!