Cold feet - hints and tips here

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jBay

Re: Cold feet - hints and tips here

Post by jBay »

ianfitz wrote:
jBay wrote:Knee length Seal Skin socks, stops water entering the top
You didn't do the BB200 this year did you!

Knee high is not enough!! :o

(Actually is was the tussocks that were bigger than that rather than the bogs - I just wanted to be melodramatic ;) )
I've not even been close to the BB200 :)

Wadders?
WillieKimble

Post by WillieKimble »

went with roadie bibs and knee high sealskinz and shimano m087's which were generally good but i could have done with another layer for the night. maybe full or 3/4 length bibs

think I really did my shoes up too tight and now front of feet and toes are STILL numb / tingly (like pins n needles) 1 week later!!!!

hoping it sorts itself in the coming days.... had same prob after a 24 hr road bike ride (not cold, different shoes) earlier this summer but it went away after a few days... chatting to the doc this eve. Hopefully I don't get a scolding, or nerve damage. I did read somewhere that it can take up to 6 weeks to sort itself out. ooer.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

My feet also went numb, and are only very gradually getting back to normal - front third still feel very odd and not great for walking. They have 5 weeks to get sorted before the first Telemark ski trip of the winter; not so easy without dexterity in the toes! I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the Doc Willie; my GP reckons it could be a nerve thing related to lower back tenderness, so it will probably be a trip to the physio next week.
WillieKimble

Post by WillieKimble »

pins n needles reducing very slowly... I think. Just localised to balls of feet and toes (not little toe). basically everything forward of the straps of my cycling shoes.
Doc said allow anything up to 2 months (Cripes) for normal sensation to recover after nerves 'receive an insult' (his words)...

lesson learned:
( 2 x cold feet + lots of vibrations / buzz /yomping through tussocky sh*te + way overtightened shoes) X (very extended period) = not too good for feet! D'oh!!
Ian

Post by Ian »

If it makes you feel any better - and it may not - but after the HTR400 last year, it took 8 weeks to get feeling back in my feet.
WillieKimble

Post by WillieKimble »

Cheers Ian,

I'm not TOO bothered TBH, just thought I'd feedback on doc's report, which does mirrors your experience... though you were cycling for CONSIDERABLY longer!! now to play a string of league squadh games with numb feet should be interesting.

My Shimano M087 shoes are now pretty much toast having been using them as commuters daily over the last year... any recommendations gratefully received.
the haven't lasted nearly as long as expected given the longevity of their Shimano road shoes equivalent which have given 10 yrs faithful service! (even if a little tatty now)