Ben98

Re: 1 week to go...

Post by Ben98 »

I've got mine
I'm terrified
Ian

Post by Ian »

Tracklogs is reporting 6,532m of ascent and 219.9km.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I see a few hiker bike sections and one definite mud fest hike :-bd
See you decided to give the slog over the top into cwm penmachno a miss stu.... Would be a tricky descent in the dark. Maybe not as bad as our hike bike into the slagheaps though :lol:

Good route fella look forward to making all your hard work come to fruition and all the suffering us riding are going to endure!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Would be a tricky descent in the dark. Maybe not as bad as our hike bike into the slagheaps though
I wanted to avoid the quarries given that it'll likely be dark ... not a safe place to be at night :geek:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ian

Post by Ian »

Dave Barter wrote:Spill the beans on the hike-a-bike then Ian
The bit I know from 2012 WRT comes 163 km into the route, which will be dark, which will make it tricky. From what I recall, there is not line on the ground - just tussocks and bog. Makes Carnau look comparatively straight forward.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Technical route question: At SH 730376, there is a track that runs NE of the route GPX that appears to be the default route, albeit longer (I've ridden several times from the opposite direction). Stick to your line, or stick to the track?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ian's description of that section is spot on. Thankfully I've a GPS otherwise I'd be brushing up on my map n compass skills right now. Let's hope the sky is clear as we r just coming out of a full moon cycle ( thanks to my gf for that geeky bit of knowledge ) :wink:
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

i don't know it but i'm guessing it will be long boggy and welsh . . .

As for the route the best comment has to be from one of our secretaries, when she saw it up on bikehike she said it looked like a comedy cock and balls . . .
Last edited by adjustablewench on Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Yetiman wrote:Ian's description of that section is spot on. Thankfully I've a GPS otherwise I'd be brushing up on my map n compass skills right now. Let's hope the sky is clear as we r just coming out of a full moon cycle ( thanks to my gf for that geeky bit of knowledge ) :wink:
I suppose I should add that this won't be the first bit of hike a bike, so you'll have got your eye in by then I expect :lol:
composite

Post by composite »

Ridden a decent stretch of this before. Lots of good riding but there are a few long stretches of off road that looked very questionable when I have been planning routes in the past. Couple of big road climbs but they will be respite in reality. ;)

Finish should be good though being net down hill for the last 20km and only one short sharp climb.

The start will be a bit nasty with cold legs though. It will certainly string the field out which I guess is why it's there. ;)

Looking "forward" to the bit near Barmouth as I have never ridden that side of the water.

Really hoping to get to the north bit of coedy Brenin while it's still light. Ridden that track a bunch of times but still only ever in the dark!
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Hope she's not involved in the medical side of the business. :shock:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

And a bothy!!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

At SH 730376, there is a track that runs NE of the route GPX that appears to be the default route, albeit longer (I've ridden several times from the opposite direction). Stick to your line, or stick to the track?
Try and stick with the gps as it shows a ROW ... however, in reality I doubt it'll make much if any difference which people ride.
composite

Post by composite »

It's just like that optional bit at the roman fort on the old route yeah? :-bd
Mike

Post by Mike »

Taylor that bothy is prob the smallest I've ever stayed in so unless ur their early drs I'm guessing there will be no room at the inn. Would be nice though if someone could get the fire going though for a quick warm up n brew :grin:
Oh yeah and it has the wettest floor iv seen to in a bothy.
WillieKimble

Post by WillieKimble »

Tracklogs is reporting 6,532m of ascent and 219.9km.
bike hike gives 5,544m ascent
Strava gives 4,091m ascent

of course it is what it is and has to be cycled but do like to know what's in store.
In reality I've done so little directly applicable MTB prep riding that I haven't got an idea of what the difference is going to be in terms of MTB metres climbed... am hoping my 40k / day road commute and some longish road / mtb rides will do for prep. it'l have to at this stage
Ian

Post by Ian »

My main concern is staying awake on the road sections at 3:00am. Descending to Dinas Mawddwy could be distinctly hazardous if you nodded off on the way down...
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Ian wrote:My main concern is staying awake on the road sections at 3:00am. Descending to Dinas Mawddwy could be distinctly hazardous if you nodded off on the way down...
As if you'll still be riding at 3am :lol:
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Viewranger says 219km and 6397m ascent. More than plenty for me. Oh lordy! :shock:
Ian

Post by Ian »

mountainbaker wrote:As if you'll still be riding at 3am :lol:
Well, I have a custom Naismith algorithm built in to Tracklogs based on actual routes I've done and how long they took, so it tells me with reasonable accuracy how long it should take to complete this route. I won't tell what that time is, but I fully expect to still be out at 3:00am :shock:
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

you keep amazing me with your cleverness this morning.

I know parts of the route, and I know this lovely tussockyness about 4 miles from the start.

Ian

Post by Ian »

mountainbaker wrote:you keep amazing me with your cleverness this morning.
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, or are just easily amazed ;)
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Sarcasm is the lowest form of humour. So probably sarcasm.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Can anybody recommend an app for viewing this file on an iPad? Can't wait until I get home tonight...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can anybody recommend an app for viewing this file on an iPad? Can't wait until I get home tonight...
Can you not just save the file on the ipad and open it on-line at bikehike.co.uk ?