Not quite spelt right but look... its bear bones road :grin:

johnnystorm

Re: Look... BareBones Road!

Post by johnnystorm »

Photo by the sign, chop chop! :grin:
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

You may wish to avoid going up here though: http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=448278 ... &A=Y&Z=106

:grin:
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Can this become a thread about stupid and amusing road names? Please.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I spoke too soon!

Let's go!

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I live just down the road from Fingeringhoe!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Fin ... 8e820716c1

I have an old photo of my by the sign somewhere...but google streetview will have to do for now (ironically, the streetview is more up to date!).
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

There's two green lanes near me that I ride, one is "Evil lane" the other is "Hell lane". Both are treacherous.
FLV

Post by FLV »

johnnystorm wrote:Photo by the sign, chop chop! :grin:
its a pretty small road, but I'll have look at the weekend
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

There's purvs corner across the valley from me
FLV

Post by FLV »

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Bare Bones Rd is not far from me, I was up there on Wednesday night, can't recall a sign but it was dark. There's also Hades Farm just down the road and it's not far from Upper Thong, fnarr and indeed fnarr. FLV if you're planning on coming over my way, PM me as I'm aiming to have a final shakedown ride tomorrow as well.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

I've been to twatt.. but someone had stolen the sign (again). :|
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Brilliant fish and chips (from personal experience) but the place name leaves a little to be desired:

http://www.harpersfishandchips.co.uk/ou ... twang.html

Wetwang
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

I cycled along Barrington Road yesterday. Somewhat predictably, it was uphill.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Ian

Post by Ian »

Pickers wrote:I cycled along Barrington Road yesterday. Somewhat predictably, it was uphill.
:lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ImageP1020556 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

There's a goyle in the Quantocks called "Dead Woman's Ditch". Charming. Story goes that a woman was murdered and buried there in Victorian times.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Some translations from Swiss-German into English:

Underchickenmoss ("Unders Hüenermoos (BE) - Röthenbach im Emmental"), of course just beneath Upperchickenmoss, not far from Froggers, again not even 1 km away from Lippsleanwood and Laughing. On the other side of the valley - the Emmental, we have Rancid, Cowmountain, Rubberheight, Tight, Intheturn, Starchhill, Butterhouse. A little bit beyond, in the area of "Blaseflue", thats Blowcliff (I guess that's where it comes from, but could also mean Bubblecliff or Bladdercliff) we have Pointyrocks, Unfortunatelylong. Of course there are many, many Bu*ts ("Arsch"), big and small ("Grosse Arsch" and "Chline Arsch"), -woods, -gully etc. Ti*ts in different ("Busen") variations, not too far from here even a Di*k ("Schnäbel (BE) - Saxeten"), funnily enough, the Complimenthorn is only 500 m away :lol:

Don't get me started on placenames with Slug/Snail in them.

For the map nerds:
https://map.geo.admin.ch

Placenames like Rubbishravine will obviously consist of brittle rock or other rubbish and/or be rather dangerous. Shepherds used to traverse such ravines to get the flock together and will have used those names, anathematising the place for it's danger whilst scrambling along. They stick to the vary day.
So the evolution of names is mostly quite straightforward here
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Can you explain the place called "Cunter" in Switzerland? :wink:
Ian

Post by Ian »

There's a street up in Newcastle called "Back Front Street". Must be some sort of Geordie logic :???:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

mountainbaker wrote:Can you explain the place called "Cunter" in Switzerland? :wink:
Very sorry, it only means "against". As in Rhaeto-Romanic.
Too bad :wink:
mountainbaker wrote:Story goes that a woman was murdered and buried there in Victorian times.
There are some funny stories and dark ones too.
I like the one about the Blüemlisalphorn (Floweralphorn). It used to be full of flowers and a rich alpine pasture, only the very top covered in ice. Cows had to be milked three times a day etc. etc. The alpine herdman got rich. Then he brought back home a proud maiden. To please her he built paths around the hut (meanwhile probably a mansion) made of cheese, the gaps filled with butter and cleaned with milk, so to keep her feet clean. In short, they lost it.

His mother went to visit him, disliked what they did and being thirsty, she only got sour milk off her son. When she returned to the valley she shouted "god will punish you, the wicked today!" etc.
Black clouds, thunder... ice and rocks tumbled from the summit... screams of animals and people mixed with the clamour of the elements and so on. From then on the Blüemlisalp or as we say Blüemlere (it's actually a ridge with three summits, Blüemlisalphorn, Wyssi Frou and Morgehorn)
stayed forever cold and white. All attempts to free the meadows from the ice failed.

Sometimes, when severe storms rage, the dead "chime in" and scream along.
Mind you, if you face them in their fury!
In alten Zeiten waren aber nur die obersten Gipfel der Blüemlisalp mit Eis und Schnee bedeckt, der grösste Teil des Berges bestand aus saftigen Alpweiden mit vielen bunten Blumen. Es war die beste und ertragreichste Alp weit und breit. Die Kühe mussten dreimal am Tag gemolken werden und dicke, prächtige Käselaibe füllten die Speicher. Der Senn wurde immer reicher.

Eines Tages holte er sich eine junge, aber hochmütige Magd ins Haus. Um ihr zu gefallen und damit ihre Füsse nicht schmutzig wurden, baute er aus Käselaiben einen Weg ums Haus. Die Fugen füllte er mit süsser Alpbutter, und mit frischer Milch wusch er jeweils den Dreck von den Stufen. Die beiden lebten in Saus und Braus und hielten sich nicht mehr an die Sitten des Landes.

An einem heissen Sommertag machte sich die Mutter des Sennen auf den Weg. Sie wollte mit ihrem Sohn auf der Alp sprechen und ihn von diesem schlechten Tun abbringen. Müde und durstig erreichte sie die Alphütte. Der Bursche liess aber nicht mit sich reden, im Gegenteil, er lachte die Mutter nur aus, und auf Geheiss seiner Geliebten servierte er ihr extra verschmutzte, saure Milch. Entsetzt und wütend wandte sich die Mutter zum Gehen. Atemlos erreichte sie den Talgrund. Sie schaute hinauf zur Alp, hob ihre Arme und rief: “Gott straf euch heute noch, ihr Frevler. Seid auf immer und ewig verflucht auf der Blüemlisalp!” Nun begann ein Tosen und Rauschen, schwarze Wolken türmten sich um den Berg, und riesige Fels- und Eisbrocken stürzten von den Gipfeln hinunter auf die Alp. Das Brüllen von Tieren und Menschen vermischte sich mit dem Toben der Elemente. Von nun an blieb die Blüemlisalp weiss und kalt. Alle Versuche, sie vom Eispanzer zu befreien, schlugen fehl. Manchmal, wenn ein heftiges Unwetter tobt am Berg, steigen der Senn und seine Dirne aus den Schründen empor und rasen brüllend und tosend über Berg und Tal mit dem Sturm um die Wette. Wehe den Menschen, die ihnen dabei begegnen!
From here: http://maerchenquelle.ch/292/zzz_ablage ... uemlisalp/

Here something about the Wyssi Frou, the White Woman:
In German folklore, the Weisse Frauen (meaning White Women) are elven-like spirits that may have derived from Germanic paganism in the form of legends of light elves (Old Norse: Ljósálfar). They are described as beautiful and enchanted creatures who appear at noon and can be seen sitting in the sunshine brushing their hair or bathing in a brook. They may be guarding treasure or haunting castles. They entreat mortals to break their spell, but this is always unsuccessful. The mythology dates back at least to the Middle Ages and was known in the present-day area of Germany.
From here: http://www.cyclopaedia.fr/wiki/Wei%C3%9Fe_Frauen
Mike

Post by Mike »

A local road to me is called twatling road, an area near clent called bell end and the fire stn in upton on severn is on minge lane which I think is best :-bd
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

A town in Donegal, my homeland.
Welcome to Muff
small muff img.jpg
small muff img.jpg (59.64 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
And of course, I am a member of a very special club -
20141006_192827.jpg
20141006_192827.jpg (111.88 KiB) Viewed 3516 times
FLV

Post by FLV »

pistonbroke wrote:Bare Bones Rd is not far from me, I was up there on Wednesday night, can't recall a sign but it was dark. There's also Hades Farm just down the road and it's not far from Upper Thong, fnarr and indeed fnarr. FLV if you're planning on coming over my way, PM me as I'm aiming to have a final shakedown ride tomorrow as well.
I did pass through, briefly.
If like to pop back up that way for a sniff round some more trails if you fancy showing me around