Good Book

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

didnothingfatal

Good Book

Post by didnothingfatal »

For those that liked The Cordillera books, Jill Homer's new book is a good read. Been reading it on my PC, on a kindle version but you can get the pdf or book here

Jill Homer has an outlandish ambition: Racing a mountain bike 2,740 miles from Canada to Mexico along the Continental Divide. But her dream starts to unravel the minute she sets it in motion. An accident on the Iditarod Trail results in serious frostbite. She struggles with painful recovery and growing uncertainties. Then, just two days before their departure, her boyfriend ends their eight-year relationship, dismantling everything Jill thought she knew about life, love and her identity. This is the story of an adventure driven relentlessly forward as foundations crumble. During her record-breaking ride in the 2009 Tour Divide, Jill battles a torrent of anger, self-doubt, fatigue, loneliness, pain, grief, bicycle failures, crashes and violent storms. Each night, she collapses under the crushing effort of this savage new way of life. And every morning, she picks up the pieces and strikes out to find what lies on the other side of the Divide: Astonishing beauty, unconditional kindness, and boundless strength.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Good Book

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Top job DNF, I now have a copy winging its way to me.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just finished reading my copy last night. It's a good read, well worth tracking a copy down whether you're interested in the TD or not.

Trouble is, it sort of makes the TD sound a little too appealing ;)
Ian

Post by Ian »

Searching for something on here brought me to this thread. Just finished the two Corillera's, to which Jill Homer contributed two articles. Of all the the authors for both books, I found her by far the most irritating. Can't quite work out why, but can't stand her style of writing. Didn't even finished the piece in the second volume...

Anyway, on a forum somewhere, possibly this one someone posted a pic of Roman Dial's Packrafting book. Can't find it now, but any pointers on where to get it on these shores?
didnothingfatal

I've never found a couple of Roman's book over here. Short of the kindle version :|
Matt

Post by Matt »

I know exactly what you mean Ian. Jill Outside is the only blog I've unsubscribed from and I've got yours and DnF on my subscribe list ;)

Moving to California this, missing Alaska that, running, fat bike, I'm a writer, I've got to get to who I am again. Me me me blah blah blah.....,

Irritated me so binned it! Which is a shame as everything she writes about I should love but just found it too hard to read
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I did find her book about racing the Iditarod a bit too much (as Matts description) ;) This one is much better, there's still perhaps a little too much about her but this time it's interesting.
didnothingfatal

Her book on racing the Iditarod is better if you just read every other chapter , i.e. the Iditarod chapters ;)
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks chaps - glad it's not just me.

I had to laugh a bit in the first Cordillera where she gets to Pie Town just before the pie shop closes and when asks what she would like, she says a salad...

You've just ridden 100+ miles to a town famous for its pies, and you want a salad? :? :roll:

While we're on the subject of good books generally, if you can get a copy of A Gringo's Journey by Cris Osborn, it's well worth a read. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0245 ... -1&seller=
It's about a guy who trades a greyhound bus ticket for a touring bike in the US and then rides it to the southern end of South America with little experience (to begin with) in bike touring. I actually know Cris, and had done for a couple of years before he mentioned some of the stuff he'd done. A truly down to earth and all round decent guy. His book is really inspirational, humourous and at times gripping.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll take a look at that Ian, ta.

Another book worth tracking down is, A journey to the centre of the earth by the Crane cousins. Total and utter nutters, they manage to take lightweight to a whole new level ;)
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I always liked Josie Dew's writing. "Travels in a Strange State" was one of the books that git me into long-haul riding.
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
didnothingfatal

I've just got this through the post;

mythical and tangible

Can also recommend the books by Mark Hines, especially the one about the Yukon Artic.