is anyone actually training for BB200?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

barney

is anyone actually training for BB200?

Post by barney »

just curious really, is anyone actually training for BB200 or are most people able to just go out and ride this type of distance/ascent without changing their normal routine?

it’s a big step up for me so I’m making sure I can cram in a few long rides and turbo sessions. No chance of replicating anywhere near the 6,000m of climbing so that will be my biggest problem I think.

Please put my mind at rest that everyone else isn’t going to simply turn up and ride it with little or no preparation. :o
Wait for me...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: is anyone actually training for BB200?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No chance of replicating anywhere near the 6,000m of climbing so that will be my biggest problem I think.
I shouldn't imagine there'll be more than 5k ... see better already :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

Not really. I'm probably going to have to pull out of a triathlon I'm doing in September due to injury. The Hell of the West Cyclo X trans Dartmoor in the run up to BB200 has now been cancelled (shorter than the BB200 but a vital barometer of my form). I don't think I've actually cycled since sometime last week, and I feel dizzy just walking between the fridge and the sofa.

So..... not going too well so far. On a positive note I have googled GPSs a couple of times on the internet but haven't bought one yet so I'm doing something in the right direction. Hope that helps. :-)
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

Well I've been off the bike for seven weeks now. Lost the first four due to a back injury, then been on holiday and been lazy.

Considered pulling out, but i'll be miserable if don't give it a go, so will cram in some last minute training and temper my aspirations on time.

Whatever happens it's going to hurt.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Yep. 50mls 1800mtr of climbing last Sunday, it's the night section and possible sleeping in a ditch that I struggle with so planning to do it with minimal stopping. The last 200k ride I did was in June and took me 7h 20mins, not sure if the Etape Du Yorkshire on my 16lb carbon road bike counts for anything though.
Had a few outings with the Revo this week but not sure if it gives enough light at slow speed so I've got 2 options, ride faster or get a back up light.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In all honesty, bloody mindedness plays a big part. Last year I hadn't done any specific (or otherwise) training but set off 'knowing' that I'd finish, I wasn't sure quite how long it'd take me but I was never in any doubt about getting to the end. Knowing just how much grief I'd get if I bailed may also have been a great motivator :wink:

There's a point when bailing out actually becomes a harder option than carrying on - aim to reach that point then just keep riding. :wink:
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

defo need a back up for the revo!

going to do the Ton of Gravel over night on Monday as training / kit shake down - will help me understand where I am training wise!

Stu - will have to find another partner to share my bag of drugs with this year!
composite

Post by composite »

Like Stu says I have no doubt that I will finish but I don't know what the time will be. Did it in 20 and half hours last time and I'm massively fitter and quicker than I was then so hoping to finish in less time. Depends on the route though. I'm doing a lot of riding generally and from now on all my evening and weekend rides will be with BB200 kit so I get used to what that feels like.

A massive area that I have improved on though is my "race craft". As in knowing that one of the big barriers to a quick time is how long you stop for. Make sure that everything you need is to hand, do things at the same time so you stop less. If you stop to get your water proof on, eat as well and try to combine it with opening a gate and taking a leak, that sort of thing. :smile:

Another area is your attitude. Last time I was all about the finishing. This year I will be about the racing and so I won't be bothered about riding with other people etc. It was great last year to ride with others through the night and I have become good friends with those guys and done a loads of trips with them since but I won't be waiting for any one or asking anyone to wait for me. I just want to race and get it done as quick as I possibly can.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I started a 'training' thread a while back and have done pretty much nothing of any use since!

I'm getting out and riding and I'm feeling semi-fit but family, work, my nemesis of a back and various other issues are keeping me from doing anything like the miles/hours that I'd planned.

But.....

I'll be there and I'll keep riding until my legs fall off!

My new plan is to ride/'train' as much as life allows and then use a combination of stubbornness and stupidity to try and get back in less than 30 hours.

Let's see what happens!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

s8tannorm wrote:There's a point when bailing out actually becomes a harder option than carrying on - aim to reach that point then just keep riding. :wink:
I remember reaching that point.

The next point is then "carrying on riding is easier than stopping and getting bivvy kit out and then carrying on again in the morning", I remember reaching that point too.

The point after that I remember is "I'm gonna bloody make it".

It's all in the head :-bd
burty

Post by burty »

work is stupidly busy as usual , so with me it a couple of 30milers in the evening per week,
and try to get a long ride from home to Cannock chase and back on sundays usually about 60/70 miles .
But over the route there is no more than 1500 mtr of climbing,
So im hope that 6-8 hours of constant peddling will help a bit
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I crashed and picked up a knee injury a couple of days after entering. I've not been able to do any long or hard riding since but it is getting slowly better. Anyway, I'll be woefully under-prepared and it may take me a week to finish but I'm doing it.
atk

Post by atk »

Been slowly ramping up the miles and have some more night riding lined up over the next few of weeks.

Doubt I'll get out on the bike this weekend so I'll dedicate the time to working on my flapjack recipe - needs to be solid enough to survive in a frame bag but without requiring too much energy/effort to chew when the temp drops overnight...
barney

Post by barney »

Well that puts my mind at rest a bit, looks like there'll be a few of us rolling in on Sunday sometime... by the looks of it there is going to be some pretty stiff competition for that prestigious last place. Reckon I'm still a firm favourite! :-bd
Wait for me...
Chew

Post by Chew »

Someone has to 'win' this years Lanterne Rouge
bear.jpg
(40.74 KiB) Downloaded 846 times
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Someone has to 'win' this years Lanterne Rouge
Ooh well reminded, I'd best knock something up :wink: