Why?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Why?

Post by JohnClimber »

Why do some riders think that it's not a bike ride without a techy downhill or three thrown in? And then insult anyone else who rides XC, or even gravel fire roads?

Is it only me who see's this or are there other DH knob heads out there on other forums? (and it's not STW)

How do you tell them where to go?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Why?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Because John ... life is full of blinkered, ignorant nob ends that believe everything the cycling press tells them. They've been fed a visual diet of bollox for so long that although 80% inaccurate, most people out their believe it to be the truth.

I suggest you offer to take them out for a few nights and see how they and their All Mountain Rigs :roll: get on with some mountains and 80 mile days.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

You don't do anything just bask in the knowledge that they are mossing out. Plus its only real cycling if you do the ups aswell asthe downs.
Solo

Post by Solo »

I guess, somewhat, my rant to my son's PE teacher was along similar lines. My son is doing GCSE PE and mtbing is one of his 4 'focused' sports.

The criteria is all downhill / trail centre based. I can understand a certain need for a way to score / mark them but it is like that is only the type of mountain biking that exists.

I love my techy singletrack (plus rode most of the areas that are now Welsh trail centres long before the idea even existed) but I'm equally happy munching away miles on tow paths for example. Rides that benefit me (smashed up spine and at some point need a new hip) and my son enjoys it too. In fact we have found some nice woodsy fun often not too far through these rides as well.

Anyway, I'll stop my moaning now. Hope you didn't mind me joining in!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hope you didn't mind me joining in!
I certainly don't ... makes me sound slightly less like a grumpy b'stard :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

I'd probably ask why you care John?

I ride bikes and do the things i do because i enjoy it. I couldnt care less what other people think.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Chew wrote:I'd probably ask why you care John?
It just narks me that he/they think they are so much better because of the "Gnarr"
barney

Post by barney »

John I wrote an original reply but it disappeared so here it is again...

I had the same conversation with Stu today, a few years ago I'd think nothing of riding descents like Jacobs Ladder but now a combination of job, mortgage and being a dad mean I don't want to come home battered and bruised anymore (and yes I know you can just as easy come off on "easy rides").

Nowadays I'm more than happy riding "low-technique" xc rides where I get my buzz from stopping and taking in the amazing views, bike-packing enabled me to take this to another level. Having a laden down bike also dictates where I would be riding as well.

At the end of the day I'm more than happy with my hobby so 2-fingers up to anyone who thinks I'm not a "proper mtb'er"

Which forum was it John?
Wait for me...
Chew

Post by Chew »

JohnClimber wrote:they think
Opinions are like arseholes. Everyone has one.

Some people are worth listening to, others are just arseholes :wink:
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

s8tannorm wrote:Because John ... life is full of blinkered, ignorant nob ends that believe everything the (cycling) press tells them.

That's brilliant, and septembers first assesmbly sorted! I just hope as promised the inspectors are there!
Gari

Post by Gari »

It is(should be) a broad church no?
I recall reading an article in a well known magazine about going "proper" bikepacking.(my quotes) the tenet of the piece was that most bike packers ride pretty easy/tame terrain and this pair were going to do it properly(one May have had a beard!) Anyhow, though I don't remember the finer details I do remember that there was some getting lost on the way to a bothy, possibly brought on by not really knowing we're they were going, and they didn't leave the pub until it was dark so couldn't find said bothy for a good while. Following day was a bit of a late start and they had to change their original route due to lack of time and how hard it was riding a loaded bike, something they seem to have overlooked maybe? So they went a somewhat easier route back. My point(if there is in fact one) is that "shredding the gnar" isn't the only hard. That and self appointed cocks are best ignored :-bd
According to said magazine bikepacking and fatbiking were discovered by much the same guy, at least that seems to be the inference :roll:

AND, riding bikes in the mountains surely IS mountainbiking.

I'll stop now before I get an embolism!!!!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I'd like to say ignore them but these posy assholes need putting in their place in as succinct a way as possible. They seem to think that having the latest most expensive bike that the cycling press tells them they need makes them better riders than anyone else.
"Get out my way you knob I'm faster than you" someone shouted from behind me once.
"Not so fast now eh" I shouted back at him later as I passed him after he crashed. Oh how I laughed.
Last edited by Ray Young on Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ton

Post by ton »

i have always just ridden my bike, be it a canalside pootle, a lakeland death slog, a blast round dalby.
never ever cared about what/when/how i ride.................just keep on riding.... :cool:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

It's all just riding bikes. Most people looking down their noses (at anything) usually do so in ignorance. Someday they may change their mind either because they try it or they grow wise enough to realise their error. ANd even if they don't, pffft!

Meanwhile, if I am happy doing "my thing", whatever "thing" that is, then I will be happy and that'll be enough for me :cool:

I look at the armour&pyjama folks riding the trails at Stainburn that we built years ago so your average hardtail / rider could throw themselves at a challenge and wonder ...... But hey, they're out on bikes in the woods so whilst it isn't my bag good luck to them.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

TBH I've never experienced this.

STW, UK Fatbikes and Trail Scotland are the other forums I frequent and each seems to have a wide variety of riding with folk doing all sorts of stuff.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Ray Young wrote:.
"Get out my way you knob I'm faster than you" someone shouted from behind me once.
I looked at one of the DH knob's Strava last night and his average speed for this year is just a faction over my dog walking speed :roll:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

To be honest I haven't come across this attitude in a long time but it seemed to be quite prevalent in the xc race scene some 15-20 years ago when xc racing first became popular/the thing to do. The riding I do now means I don't come across large groups of riders so less chance of coming across the holier than thou attitude.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Really, WGAF. People that think they're 'x' compared to others need to move on with their thinking. For all they know you used to ride 4X or DH or dirt jumps pretty well when you were younger and now do rides that could bring them to a whimpering, teary mess : ) But you telling them that brings it to their level and ego-driven top-trumps is a mugs game, there's always someone more bad-ass / skilled / lucky etc.

This is 'MTB' today in the USA apparently, from a post on bikerumor. Loaded questions maybe, or it can depend on how you see fun and excitement. But 'thrills' are part of riding for most. We all love a good DH. Mountain biking has become so broad a term but thinking of what / how I used to ride, what I'd do if I could go to Chamonix again for a week now, it's all good and nothing's really changed. I'm not even sure the media's changed much, MBUK has always had 'Smash The 5hit Out Of The Trails!!' cover lines on every other issue since the early 90s.
Mandicky

Post by Mandicky »

Gari wrote:I recall reading an article in a well known magazine about going "proper" bikepacking.....there was some getting lost on the way to a bothy.....not really knowing where they were going...... and they didn't leave the pub until it was dark.....Following day was a bit of a late start........had to change their original route due to lack of time and how hard it was riding a loaded bike.
Sounds like proper bikepacking to me :smile:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Mandicky wrote:
Gari wrote:I recall reading an article in a well known magazine about going "proper" bikepacking.....there was some getting lost on the way to a bothy.....not really knowing where they were going...... and they didn't leave the pub until it was dark.....Following day was a bit of a late start........had to change their original route due to lack of time and how hard it was riding a loaded bike.
Sounds like proper bikepacking to me :smile:
:smile: too true.. excess prep spoils the fun!
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Good time to post this, sums them all up quite well.

What's enduro mountain biking?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8miUEBd_bD4
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

All the nob ends have somewhere to go these days. Bikepark Wales. They can jump road gaps, rail berms and shred the gnar. Better they do it there and leave the rest of the country for normal folk.

I rarely go to trail centres now, and tend to go midweek if i do, just too many rich thrill seeking plumbers from hampshire on ibis mojos with carbon knee-pads giving the thousand yard stare while they eat a fried breakfast as a reward for riding 15km*.

* sweeping generalisation
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

mountainbaker wrote:just too many rich thrill seeking plumbers from hampshire on ibis mojos with carbon knee-pads giving the thousand yard stare while they eat a fried breakfast as a reward for riding 15km*.

* sweeping generalisation
:lol: :lol: :lol:
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

My wife has just started getting back into biking, but she will only go to trail centres (so far) we rode about 15 km and had a fried breakfast. :-bd
Luckily Ionas article on the HTR550 has sparked something.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

She's not a plumber though, is she?