Jones H-bar

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

SimonD

Jones H-bar

Post by SimonD »

Why does everyone here rave on about the Jones H bar?

Advantages over flat bar or a butterfly bar?

Would like to know thanks for indulging me with a response. :-)
jameso

Re: Jones H-bar

Post by jameso »

SimonD wrote:Advantages over flat bar or a butterfly bar?

Would like to know thanks for indulging me with a response. :-)
I'm a fan for use on rigid bikes (to the point of being conscious of appearing to be a Jones fanboy but I do think he designs superb kit). Less so for a full-sus. Advantages are personal/debatable, for me the wrist position is really comfy and the multiple positions are all I want and none I don't need. Gives an almost road-bike like grip as well as a good control type grip. Lets you move your weight fore-aft well. Really does make rigid bike (particularly SS) riding 'better' imo. It's been designed by a skilled MTB rider so it's stiff, strong, feels wider than expected and I trust it as much as any strong MTB bar. Butterfly bars are designed to flex a fair bit and I doubt they'd last long if you're enthusiastic/optimistic in your off road riding.

It's a pricey bar but I know some of what goes into his kit and none of it is 'ah that'll do' off-the-shelf tube spec and design. The tooling costs for relatively low volumes -though the bars must be selling well these days- make them expensive.
Son

Post by Son »

I just got a set!

I'm totally sold on them, fantastic, I tried not to listen to the hype to much but turns out it was all valid.
I'm mainly a lurker on this site but feel the need to rant with joy!!
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

In contrast, didn't get on with them at all. Tried them on a rigid singlespeed, and while I could see the point of having multiple hand positions, the extreme sweep didn't work for me, always felt like my hands were slipping off the end of the bars.
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
Zonc

Post by Zonc »

Love 'em.....work well for me ....
zigrat

Post by zigrat »

Definitely a love/hate thing. Have a set on my Shand at the moment and I really like them when loaded and off-road, on road I find the back position to really open you up to the wind and limit your speed...
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Pyro wrote:In contrast, didn't get on with them at all. Tried them on a rigid singlespeed, and while I could see the point of having multiple hand positions, the extreme sweep didn't work for me, always felt like my hands were slipping off the end of the bars.
zigrat wrote:Definitely a love/hate thing. Have a set on my Shand at the moment and I really like them when loaded and off-road, on road I find the back position to really open you up to the wind and limit your speed...
I agree, I think their a evolutionery step back in bar design :???:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Zonc wrote:Love 'em.....work well for me ....
I love the 3 set's (2 Ti 1 Ali) that I've got and the Titec copy on the tandem.
The many different hand positions are the best thing for me.
Not sure I'd be tempted on the carbon new one's though.