Think I want a packraft.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Think I want a packraft.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've seen packrafts before and never taken too much notice but following a post on STW last week I thought I'd take a proper look. My first point of call was Alpacka Rafts, once I'd picked myself up off the floor I decided that they're far too expensive (for me). The next place I looked was Flyweight designs and things started to look up price wise, although theirs don't seem to be quite as hardcore or robust, they're very light and packable.

http://www.alpackaraft.com/index.cfm

http://flyweightdesigns.com/default.aspx

Has anyone got one of these things or just tried one? I've already started to think about rides/routes that'd involve spending the night on islands, river sections or maybe even some cove hopping on the coast. The idea of mixing a bike with a posh rubber dingy sounds oddly appealing ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ian

Re: Think I want a packraft.

Post by Ian »

^ You're about where I was roughly six months ago. An Scottish Islands tour would be ace, though I've yet to get the idea out of my head and onto a map. Alternatively, head to Norway, Iceland or some such place for a packrafting trip.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Got a friend who rent you one, based in Bristol
Chew

Post by Chew »

read this, it may make you want one more ;)

http://niksbikingblog.blogspot.com/
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

We loaded our bikes onto canoes on my stag trip in the Lakes this summer. Was brilliant, it really added a fantastic dimension to the trip.

I see some MYOG potential!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I see some MYOG potential!
I see a £20 dinghy from the cheap shop in Mach'. There's a little island on a reservoir with my name on it ;)
Matt

Post by Matt »

If you ever want you are more than welcome to take my boat out. it's just down at Frongogh, you can sail it to Dovey junction or down the estuary or across to Borth.
griffdowg

Post by griffdowg »

Funny you mention packrafts. Its how I found out about Bikepacking and this place/events :)

I follow the Adventure Journal and there was an ace video of some guys on Fat Bikes (Surly?) carrying Alpacka rafts heading up the Alaskan coastline. It looked epic.

Also heard talks buy Alistair Humphries (IIRC) who packraft'd the Shetlands.

Me and the girlfriend are thinking of touring the Outer Hebridies next year and looking on Google Earth, A pack raft would open up a whole host of new possible routes.

G
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you ever want you are more than welcome to take my boat out.
Cheers Matt ... might be safer if I went out with you instead ;)

I'd seen Alistair Humphries mention packrafting. There's also plenty of interesting stuff on Roman Dials blog too.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Thread revival :) - I was reading this page http://www.packrafting.de/2011/08/packr ... scene.html and links and thought of your previous curiosity Stu - loads to go at in Europe and Scandinavia and Scotland look to ahve huge potential - makes me want to get the sea kayak out again! I talked to a guy in an outdoor shop in Oslo last year who'd had a blast on his in Norway and was even going out to Vancover too (which seemed mad seeing as he had it all on the doorstep!).... he sold me a nice Evernew non-stick frying pan for bacon butties in the woods with the boys :D
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I love the idea of it and having read some of the stories on blogs it sounds amazing but a little boat in the water makes me think too much about Jaws.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

This will be finding its way to sunny mid Wales over the next week or so, £32 and it comes with a users manual ... be afraid, be very, very afraid :o

gairym

Post by gairym »

have you guys seen this???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Xsikg1TT4

looks like a nice little trip.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Forgot to add ... anyone fancy 'investing' £32 and joining me? you'll be more than welcome ;)
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

I have to admit to being "inflatable curious" :)
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

I have to admit to being "inflatable curious" :)
Personally, I think I'll be staying rigid ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8308384@N0 ... 995416661/

(Although I would be entertaining thoughts of packraft ownership/adventures if I had any spare dosh)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm still very much up for this but seem to be getting nowhere quite quickly. There's what I know.

I've been in touch with Flyweight designs to ask about their heavier duty raft the Flytewater which is $400 ... sounds like it would fit the bill but they aren't willing to 're-label' the package so it starts to get quite expensive by the time it's come through customs. It's also never been tried with a bike strapped to it.

I've been in touch with Alpacka about their Scout model (smallest one they do) which is avaliable from Germany with free shipping to the UK. It's more robust than the Flyweight but costs £460. I'd also need to add extra tie down points to it as it only comes with one. It's also possibly a bit too small for bike-rafting duties but they're a little unsure about that.

Then there's the NRS raft which again comes from the US, it's $550 and isn't avaliable in Europe. There also seems to be a couple of issues with how tough it is.

That leaves me with my initial plan of a Sevylor which I can get from the UK for less than £40 ... however, I'm told that it doesn't make a great raft as it's too wide and is designed to be rowed, so is actually the wrong shape. It is possible to cut the outer chamber off which helps with the performance but taking a knife to it seems a little drastic and it still won't be 'ideal' once modified :?

So that's where I'm upto in my search for a packraft. Has anyone got any other ideas or suggestions?

Ta
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

That sounds about right, we looked at them a couple of years ago, want a lightweight pack raft, the only real option was order from Alaska pay loads, get hit by customs! Hence, we never bought them!
Why is the £40 sevylor so wrong? Where are you really planning on taking the raft? Wales doesn't have glacier filled rivers liked Alaska? If going on a expedition, then you need to get the correct gear.
griffdowg

Post by griffdowg »

you have email... well you will have in 2 minutes :D

G