Tubeless or Tubes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

didnothingfatal

Tubeless or Tubes

Post by didnothingfatal »

Sensible question, which do you think is best suited to long backcountry riding? And, what tyres would you use? I had a puncture within 20 minutes of starting WRT :lol: the supersonic tubes may be light, but they are bloody useless at times, a new one this week had a hole out of the box! So thinking of trying a Stan's kit, but with the latex I''ll be commiting to one set of tyres rather than playing with combinations of Freds, Ralphs and Nics. Gut feel is a set of 2.25" Rocket Ron UST fast rolling and grippy.
Ian

Re: Tubeless or Tubes

Post by Ian »

I've been tubeless for about the last 4 years. No problems at all really. Can only recall one incident with a torn sidewall that the latex didn't fix. Got a photo somewhere of a tyre I took off when it was worn out and it had 8 thorns in it. Never any loss of pressure while riding, so didn't know they were there. Swapped some tyres over the other night, took me about 20 mins, so you're not really confined to just one set up.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've a couple of bikes set up tubeless. Both are ghetto cobbles, the first one I did used 20" tubes and latex. The second one just used insulation tape and a valve I cut out of an old tube + 200ml of latex ... never caused any problems. It's also cheaper than buying a tube ;)

I've not tried ust tyres only normal beaded ones. I'm not sure if there's a great difference to grip levels or rolling resistance but not worrying about puntures is nice.
May the bridges you burn light your way
didnothingfatal

Normal beaded, is that steel or folding? I'm leaning towards just trying a Stan's kit with the existing tyres
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry DNF ... folding bead.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ian

Post by Ian »

Ditto here - folding standard (non-UST) tyre with about 120ml of latex, Stans rims and yellow tape.
Aidan

Post by Aidan »

I've never had much luck with tubeless in the Chilterns, but recently rode over 1500 miles with a nail in my tyre on the Tour Divide (Stans and Maxxis Crossmark tyre).

I keep trying with tubeless, since the ride quality is smoother and the weight is lower. But the flint in the Chilterns seems pretty incompatible with it. One decent cut and I have to put a tube in. When I ride there with tubes, though, the tyres end up with plenty of cuts but they rarely seem to puncture the actual tube.
didnothingfatal

Cheers Aidan, as i mainly ride the Chilterns that is good to know!
outnabout

Post by outnabout »

Tubeless here, my experience has really been great with a gorilla tape DIY setup and Stans, with both Giant brand non-tubeless rims (you need a tyre with tight bead on the Giants- Bontrager ones work well, schwalbe wouldnt bead up) and with Giant tubeless rims and ZTR Crest, which you would expect to work.

For all 3 variations have set and forgotten about them except for the usual pre-ride inspection and topping up the Stans fluid every 3 months or so thru the valves.

I am running Racing Ralphs on the the ZTRs Crest at the moment, they are very light but feel really delicate, for longer multi day stuff I prefer the Bontragers much heavier but just feel solid