BB 200 Entries Closed.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

BB 200 Entries Closed.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For anyone who doesn't receive the newsletter / can't be arsed reading it ... entries for this years BB 200 are now open.

http://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/pages/BB200.html

There's a pretty good chance that entries might need to be capped this year, so it might be wise not to wait too long.

That's it people, entries are now closed. If you entered, then stand by your computer on the morning of Oct 8th when this years route will wing its way into your in box.
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Re: BB 200 Entries open.

Post by johnnystorm »

Found out my new phone doesn't like that web form so had to fire up the PC. The lengths I go to to punish myself...... :lol:

Here's to four months of route speculation and fannying about deciding on ideal bike set up (beats doing actual training...... ;) )
Last edited by johnnystorm on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
composite

Post by composite »

Done!

With no where to pitch a little tent this year at the end, would it be frowned upon to get a few hours sleep in the corner of the community centre hall?
Matt

Post by Matt »

For 3 years I've sensibly stayed away from this and left it to the 'big boys'

This year, "I'm in" :shock:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Hmmmm....

Fancy just "cruising" round to get sub 24 and hence one step closer to a Gold badge.

Whilst we can't see the route till 3 days beforehand, compared to last year (I know we've had this discussion before to an extent); how much hike-a-bike is there? I reckon I can get myself fit enough riding wise in time, but getting the walking/pushing training in place will be tight depending on the amount.. :geek:

Oh, is it possible for you to tell us the map extents of the route so I can get some hard copy mapping sorted before the route is released?
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

I'm in, keen to try the new route.

Will my 2014 black badge look any different to my 2012 one? Would be nice to have a little extra '2014 route' on it :wink:
Chew

Post by Chew »

I think I've forgotten the pain of last time.
Oh, is it possible for you to tell us the map extents of the route so I can get some hard copy mapping sorted before the route is released?
Is this a thin veiled attempt to know where the routes heading?
If you wanted OS maps for backup I'm sure you could give Stu the cash and he could order them for you to collect at the start :wink:

For a level playing field I'm hoping no details at all get released before the 8th. Same amount of suffering for everyone and no pre-riding sections.

With the first route no one knew what was going to happen so Stu went a bit conservative with the route to make sure it was achievable. Now we know what is, I'm sure its being made a lot harder so that people have to stop. Less road, more climbing, more bike a hike. Hopefully only a few sub 24 hours (thinking HTR veterans) but anyone thinking of "cruising" around may be in for a shock.

It needs to be decided is it a bikepacking event or a 24 hour event (might as well leave the kit at home)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Chew wrote:
Is this a thin veiled attempt to know where the routes heading?
If you wanted OS maps for backup I'm sure you could give Stu the cash and he could order them for you to collect at the start :wink:
I was actually looking at the calendar and my annual leave allowance / when certain MSc deadlines are etc. Last time I fitted the map on 2 x A3 bits of paper double sided at full size 1:50k OS map. I had that as backup and needed to use it a few times to align my breadcrumb trail on my edge 200 with the real map... I'd not be able to sort that out between the time of the GPX release time file and the start date... :ugeek:

Was hoping last years effort and accumulated knowledge/experience thereof would enable me to with slightly less prep allow me to manage sub 24 without completely killing myself as opposed to my sub 18 hour rookie attempt which hurt :| (I'm still really cautious about my knee I clonked earlier this year and don't want t destroy it again instantly).

Failing all that, I might turn up and "spectate" like the way I bumped into Flatfishy when I met him :lol:
barney

Post by barney »

After spending the past 2 weeks gazing at blue dots across the pond I decided that I want to do something grand but on a scale that is slightly more achievable for me.

With a bit of a training plan I'm going to have a stab at this.

Just to echo what Chew has said will people be going all out to ride in one go or plan on taking a break/sleep for a few hours?
Wait for me...
composite

Post by composite »

barney wrote: Just to echo what Chew has said will people be going all out to ride in one go or plan on taking a break/sleep for a few hours?
I'll be aiming at one sitting and out running the sleep monster but there's no guarantee it will happen though.

I'm fully expecting it to be more challenging than last years as I reckon there were too many Black badges handed out for Stu's liking. :wink:
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

Im not fit enough and noway going to get fit enough to do this in the next 3/4 months!

I am looking forward to reading peoples tales of woe and hardship though when the time comes :-bd
Karl

Post by Karl »

I'm a new member on here and my first post. Just would like to say that I'm in. Wanted a challenge so I've entered the 200.........I don't feel the 200km is hard enough so I'm bringing the misses along as well.....that's gonna be the real challenge :lol:

Before any asked, she wanted to come. Think she's a bit crazy like the rest of us.
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

Despite saying never again at the end last year, I've just signed up. :o

Quite fancy trying for a black badge this time.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Might have a crack at it on't fat bike :???:
barney

Post by barney »

I might be missing something but what time is the start ?

I see that tea is served from 8am so I presume its an hour or so after that ?
Wait for me...
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Missed last year and have been really looking forward to this year so great to see the 2014 dates posted ....... and it's 11/12 October. Nooooooo!!! How can this be? The only weekend I really cant do for the whole rest of the year. More living vicariously coming up then.
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

what time is the start
10.00am
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

[u
Go team Sheffield!
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Signed up. I can feel the exhaustion nausea already. Bring it.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

mountainbaker wrote:Signed up. I can feel the exhaustion nausea already. Bring it.
I dunno what was worse. That or the people I met while riding......... :mrgreen:
composite

Post by composite »

johnnystorm wrote:
mountainbaker wrote:Signed up. I can feel the exhaustion nausea already. Bring it.
I dunno what was worse. That or the people I met while riding......... :mrgreen:
Even though my brain was properly fuzzy, I still know the answer to that one. :-P :-bd
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

johnnystorm wrote:I dunno what was worse. That or the people I met while riding......... :mrgreen:
evilgoat

Re: BB 200 Entries open - but going fast!

Post by evilgoat »

Out of interest how many slots are there?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Out of interest how many slots are there?
jay91

Post by jay91 »

I'm undecided not sure I can handle it :oops:maybe next year....
Trying to ride bikes.