What time of year for new ITT?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

What time of year for new ITT?

Post by Ray Young »

After doing my Solstice ride last year I mentioned that I was working on a new 250 mile route. Well that route is now plotted only it's turned out to be 300 miles as I was not happy with parts of the original and the only way to get a route I was happy with after chopping those bits out was to make the route longer. I now have enough points in my "little book of bivi brownie points" in order to test ride the route which I shall be doing soon.
The route as I have said is 300 miles long with 12,870 m of climbing and is set in the Scottish borders starting/finishing in Jedburgh.
I was thinking of having a suggested start date on the weekend nearest the September Equinox. This would give an almost equal number of day/night hours and make people think very carefully about their choice of kit as the weather could be doing anything at that time of year.
If the test ride works out and I don't have to change too much then I'm hoping to make the gpx track available this year, if not then next year.
Any thoughts/comments from from anyone who would be interested in doing this.
Taylor

Re: What time of year for new ITT?

Post by Taylor »

Will there be midges in sept?
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

How about late April / early May, as training for HT550, or will the trails be too soggy then?
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Do you want some company for the test ride Ray?
Will it clash with The Shindig which was mentioned on here possibly in September if I remember correctly.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

September seems like a pretty good time. Earlier in the year you are still subject to the vagaries of snow melt. At least there's always the chance of a warmer summer that might dry things out a bit. It might also fit in well as a "qualifying event" for future HTRs as entry for that has been early November.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

flatfishy wrote:Will there be midges in sept?
Shouldn't be midges at that time of year.
ZeroDarkBivi wrote:How about late April / early May, as training for HT550, or will the trails be too soggy then?
Knowing the Borders it will probably be pretty boggy still.
ScotRoutes wrote: 1. September seems like a pretty good time. Earlier in the year you are still subject to the vagaries of snow melt. At least there's always the chance of a warmer summer that might dry things out a bit. 2. It might also fit in well as a "qualifying event" for future HTRs as entry for that has been early November.
1. See above.
2. Qualifying event for the HTR is interesting.

[quote="pushbikemike. Will it clash with The Shindig which was mentioned on here possibly in September if I remember correctly.[/quote]

Shindig is the 13th I believe, the equinox is Tue 23 so it would be Sat 20 start for mine or I could just make it the last weekend in september. I think each event will attract different people.

Mike, will ring about your offer of company.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Given what you already know of the trails, what sort of duration are you reckoning to?
( I realise some fit monster will do it in sub 24h - I mean for mere mortals)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

ScotRoutes wrote:Given what you already know of the trails, what sort of duration are you reckoning to?
( I realise some fit monster will do it in sub 24h - I mean for mere mortals)
Not sure about that Scotroutes as I haven't worked out % of off road, forest road, tarmac yet but it's around 37.5%, 37.5% and 25%. There is also a lot of climbing to take into account, something like 3,200m less than the HTR but in a route 260 miles shorter, I think people will like the road sections :wink: .
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

As a happy coincidence there are three very handy bothies-

Overpawhope at 95 miles, Greensykes at 125 miles and Lamb Hill at 200 miles.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Qualifying event for the HTR is interesting.
How much hike a bike, and trudging through boggy tussocks is there?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Richpips wrote:
Qualifying event for the HTR is interesting.
How much hike a bike, and trudging through boggy tussocks is there?
The route has been chosen to be mostly rideable but there is a 3 mile and a 4 mile section I am not sure of hence the test ride.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ray Young wrote: 2. Qualifying event for the HTR is interesting.
It would be worth emailing Alan G to see what his thought are.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Funnily enough whilst planning my forthcoming trip down to Yorkshire to see t' Tour I was just thinking someone should do a lowland trail race - plenty of scope if you include D&G plus you could make it a 560 and include the Ochills, possibly by way of riding through the middle of Edinburgh to add a bit of variety :grin:
I'm up for it!