Penine Bridleway

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

bigj

Penine Bridleway

Post by bigj »

Hi
I'm planning to bikepack the PBW in June.
Thinking about North to South.
I have both the guides, The Harveys Map and have ordered the OS maps for the Northern end.

Has anyone done it ?
Anyone offer any advice ?

Cheers

John
slarge

Re: Penine Bridleway

Post by slarge »

Yes, are you doing the MTL also or the whole thing from Kirkby Stephen?

I have only ridden the southern end, and it is a good ride, but try to pick a dry couple of days as wet weather will eat brake pads and the limestone part of the Peak will be quite slippery.

How long are you planning to take?
bigj

Post by bigj »

I'm planning to do the whole route from Kirkby Stephen using the East side of the MTL.
I've got a 2 week window to do it in, not sure how long it will take, want to enjoy it
and I'm taking my son.

John
slarge

Post by slarge »

How old is your son? If you can do 25-30 miles per day then it will be a great ride, just be mindful that food stops are not that plentiful, so it may be worth carrying at least a days worth of food. You may need to go off route to pick up supplies if you get a bit low. There are a lot of hills, but the riding isn't that technical so if that suits then you will enjoy yourselves. Have a look at the route on google earth to get an idea of bivvy stops ( I haven't really looked for these but I am sure there are a few. There's a campsite at Hollingworth lake with a small shop, water and showers if you or your son get a bit pongy. Enjoy it!
bigj

Post by bigj »

Thanks Slarge
My son is 16, and a cyclist,probably fitter than I am.
25-30 miles a day is probably about what we will do

cheers

John
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I had a ;quiet' bivvy stop at Hurstwood Res a few weeks ago. Blimmin' night riders kept passing and a family with there dog. Next morning at 6am it was chuffing joggers! Did'nt realise how close to Burnley I was.

You can drop into Hebden Bridge as well for supplies and catch up on route on way out of town unless you are determined to ride every metre. Think it is called Jacksdale.
FLV

Post by FLV »

There other res near hurstwood is can't clough, pop up to the top end of that and it's much quieter
Fozzyuk

Post by Fozzyuk »

Sorry to hijack but does anyone have a gpx or track for the Northern section of the pbw to Kirkby Stephen please?
bigj

Post by bigj »

Fozzyuk wrote:Sorry to hijack but does anyone have a gpx or track for the Northern section of the pbw to Kirkby Stephen please?

Hi
You can download a gpx for the whole route here :-
http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/pennine-bridleway/plan

cheers

John
Fozzyuk

Post by Fozzyuk »

Thanks for that, Unfortunately it doesn't go all the way to kirby Stephen and that's the section I really need help on...anyone ridden it :-bd
ChrisE

Post by ChrisE »

if you email the PBW officer at the Yorkshire Dales National Park, he should send you one. He is peter.lambert@yorkshiredales.org.uk

hope that helps

C
ChrisE

Post by ChrisE »

or sorry, you can download it here

http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/outand ... eway-route

C